Disneyland "Social Clubs"

Darkbeer1

Well, some would call me the pioneer of Theme Park Constructions photos on the Web at the turn of the century.

I provided articles and photos for many of the first Social Media Disney Related websites, including MousePlanet, MiceAge, Jim Hill Media and others under the Pen Name, David Michael. I also had some of my news featured on the AP wire. My biggest story was McDonald's pulling out of the Disneyland Resort.

Universal Studios Hollywood built a wall specifically due to my photos of Revenge of the Mummy at USH.

I also have worked on Theme Park TV productions over the last 20 years, both in front of the camera, and behind it, including the Celebrity Apprentice the Arnold Schwarzenegger hosted.

SuddenStorm

I didn’t miss it. How do you know what they’re trying to do/be? The one’s who think they can influence the park, they’re on something. But the ones who simply go up there to socialize with other people in their club, what’s the problem? How do you know if the families with matching outfits aren’t purposefully trying to draw attention to themselves?

Have you spoken to these people?

I'm a bit confused by your comment. I'm clearly focused more on the ones that think they can influence the park- not the ones who just go and socialize. I literally said that in my first post on the subject. But, all the flame throwing and ridiculousness about the lawsuit and allegations kind of leaves a bad taste about these groups. It's kind of an example of the bad apples ruining it for everyone in terms of public reception.

My initial comment was also a partial response to an image of two guests dressed as characters signing autographs- which I think is overstepping their bounds.

I don't have a problem with people wearing matching Disney inspired clothing at a Disney park- which is the point you seem hung up on. It's the matching clothing and trying to influence the guest experience- which there is record of some of these groups trying to do- that I have a problem with.

In addition, most family groups that go aren't more than 10-20 people, and usually, their matching shirts are not very noticeable. There's a huge difference between the family celebrating Grandma's birthday with matching "Smith fam reunion" shirts in Disney lettering, and the White Rabbits or Mickey Miners or whoever wandering the park in huge groups causing lawsuits with their drama.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I'm a bit confused by your comment. I'm clearly focused more on the ones that think they can influence the park- not the ones who just go and socialize. I literally said that in my first post on the subject. But, all the flame throwing and ridiculousness about the lawsuit and allegations kind of leaves a bad taste about these groups. It's kind of an example of the bad apples ruining it for everyone in terms of public reception.

My initial comment was also a partial response to an image of two guests dressed as characters signing autographs- which I think is overstepping their bounds.

I don't have a problem with people wearing matching Disney inspired clothing at a Disney park- which is the point you seem hung up on. It's the matching clothing and trying to influence the guest experience- which there is record of some of these groups trying to do- that I have a problem with.

In addition, most family groups that go aren't more than 10-20 people, and usually, their matching shirts are not very noticeable. There's a huge difference between the family celebrating Grandma's birthday with matching "Smith fam reunion" shirts in Disney lettering, and the White Rabbits or Mickey Miners or whoever wandering the park in huge groups causing lawsuits with their drama.
To add to this, these aren't groups of people that happen to be friends and want to go to the parks to have fun in matching outfits. They actively seek out new members and have an application process if you want to be included in their club. Why would they be interested in increasing their ranks if it's just friends looking to have fun? They want to be noticed and influence the park. The article said they try to "take over" attractions so that every single ride vehicle is taken up by one of its members.

Darkbeer1

I remember when one Board's member attending an in-park meeting got all their Fluffy members together to takeover one small world boat, in the hopes of flooding the boat. (A known problem at the time). They also took over both Carousels and of course the Astro Orbitor, so that was about 15 years ago....

EDIT - Let me clarify the iasw issue, I should have said bottom out, where the boat would stop mid ride due to the lack of water in the flumes. Some ride CM's asked for it to be done, so Management would fix the problem.... Which they did. But as a temporary fix, they had CM's restricting the amount of guests on each boat, lowering per-hour capacity counts, something that is an in-park statistic closely watched.

Last edited:

Jedi Stitch

When I first read the title, I first went to the Jets and the Sharks in west side story. After reading the article, is there really a Mouse Mafia, each claiming territory in each of the lands. Will we need the NY Subway Angels to ride the Disney RR to protect us? When it goes beyond meeting up for Pin trading and goes into extortion, I would have to say things are going too far.

Darkbeer1

The LA Times has an article this morning about people more mental than DLR AP holders...

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-catwoman-fairfax-20180214-story.html

>>
The store in question is Supreme, which has been around for years and has outlets in New York, London and Paris. As far as I can tell, the marketing strategy is to create hysterical demand by occasionally releasing limited supplies of new hoodies, jackets, shirts and other apparel for $100 and more, and crowds march in as if they're under hypnosis.

Supreme drew crowds at a downtown L.A. pop-up bazaar last summer, collaborating with Louis Vuitton to peddle clothing and bags with price tags into the thousands. The Times reported, in a near certain sign of the apocalypse, that bandannas were going for $370.

The next big "drop," as Supreme calls its latest offerings, will be this Thursday on Fairfax, which means young shoppers with fat wallets have already begun assembling as if summoned by a cult leader. For some, it's not just about wearing the clothes, but grabbing all they can and reselling to the consumptively addicted at a ridiculous profit, similar to the way ticket scalpers operate.<<

Stevek

I didn’t miss it. How do you know what they’re trying to do/be? The one’s who think they can influence the park, they’re on something. But the ones who simply go up there to socialize with other people in their club, what’s the problem? How do you know if the families with matching outfits aren’t purposefully trying to draw attention to themselves?

Have you spoken to these people?

Well that's part of what people are saying is the problem. The park has become a place to hang out and socialize. If Disney is fine with that, so be it. But there are many folks that are tired of the park being used as a social meeting place versus the "special experience" many of us grew up with. Even all the years I had an AP, we didn't do it to hang out with other people. We visited as a family to experience the rides and shows. That may just be the changing nature of the park, especially with the proliferation of AP's, and folks like me will choose not to visit anymore.

Stevek

I'm surprised they were even allowed through the turnstiles.
That was my point...where is the line drawn and what are the rules for dressing up like a character. They weren't in full costume and they weren't exactly Disneybounding...it was really a cross between the two. At some point Disney will have to enforce a hard and fast rule that if you are over the age of 10, you don't wear any type of costume.

Stevek

Back in the day, I was stopped multiple times by "Fans" while in the park, where people saw me, and based on my photo, and that I was taking photos, got approached. When Lisa started dating me, it drove her a bit crazy when it happened.... But I didn't sign autographs, but did pose for a few photos....

But isn't that kind of freaky? I'm not sure why anyone would want to take pics with someone that did photo update on parks? Not a knock on you as a person at all but just bizarre actions by the fanbase.

Californian Elitist

I didn’t see anything from you where you specifically called out the “bad” ones. I recall a mentioning of the social clubs. My apologies.

I agree about the ridiculous club lawsuits BS.

Well that's part of what people are saying is the problem. The park has become a place to hang out and socialize. If Disney is fine with that, so be it. But there are many folks that are tired of the park being used as a social meeting place versus the "special experience" many of us grew up with. Even all the years I had an AP, we didn't do it to hang out with other people. We visited as a family to experience the rides and shows. That may just be the changing nature of the park, especially with the proliferation of AP's, and folks like me will choose not to visit anymore.

Understandable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom