Disneyland "Social Clubs"

Darkbeer1

Look, SFMM has a Sheriff's sub-station on property

USH has a Sheriff's sub-station on property

DLR has an Anaheim PD sub-station on property.

Knott's has full time Buena Park PD officers assigned to the park.

All these parks pay for the extra policing to supplement their own security.

Interesting to note, the way Cedar Point was founded and developed, they actually have their own police department.

I have visited Magic Mountain since the opening in 1971, and never once had any issue with gangs, nor seen a group of gang members.

That said, do gang members visit Theme Parks? Yes, some do, and they go to Disneyland, USH, SFMM, etc.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

mickEblu

For being an AP I don’t feel like I see these groups too often but when I do, they have never appeared to cause any problems. One time when entering DL I ended up behind about 20 members of this one group who all had Mickey bubblers and were pointing them straight in the air as they walked down Main Street making bubbles everywhere. That was kind of cool.

Last edited:

SSG

"Come to Duff Gardens, where roaming gangs aren't a big problem anymore."

CD64LP3W0AAjApn.png

SuddenStorm

Part of me takes issue with them organizing stuff like that bubble walk (which was mentioned by @mickEblu , as well as a poster in the micechat comment section). It seems like they really are trying to implement themselves into the "Disneyland experience", with them acting as honorary security guards, and trying to add to the atmospheric entertainment.

TP2000

Maybe I'll start one of these clubs. I'll dedicate it to Walt's memory and call it the Scotch Mist Mafia.

Can I be the Club Treasurer and Ice Cube Tender?

I read this Koenig article just now, and then scanned through the comment section where the key personality of the article has begun a commentary war to clear his good name. Or something like that. It's mind-numbingly stupid, and incredibly juvenile. Also more than scary.

You just feel so embarrassed for all of them. :rolleyes:

Tony the Tigger

I read this Koenig article just now, and then scanned through the comment section where the key personality of the article has begun a commentary war to clear his good name. Or something like that. It's mind-numbingly stupid, and incredibly juvenile. Also more than scary.

I didn’t even read the comments until after reading your post. Holy cow, these people are absolute messes.

Darkbeer1

Since I am old school, my history is with the message board meets, starting with Al Lutz's Noon Meet at the Hub on Sundays. Folks who wanted to would meet, and sometimes go get something to eat together, or ride something. Very low key. It the became the MousePlanet meet, then became the MiceAge meet, and finally the MiceChat meet. Other boards like Laughing Place and MouseInfo also did meets, usually on Sundays, especially when Disney created the SoCal AP.

While many folks were clickish, I never was, even though many wanted me to be "exclusive" to their meet, I had friends in all of them, and didn't care what they thought, so I went to all of them.

And I wouldn't be the person I am today if I didn't attend them. I met my wonderful wife at the Noon Meet at the Hub, announced my engagement at a Sunday meet that was held in front of the Castle, and was the reason Al Lutz was my best man.

But I do have to say, low key meets are one thing, the current situation is totally different.

Darkbeer1

Let me also state, there is a set of fans of Billy Hill/Crazy Kirk and the Hillbillies. They are great folks, and still meet on Sundays when the band performs at Knott's.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
According to Sarno, about a week before the 2016 walk, he was approached on Disney property by five members of the White Rabbits, one of the park’s older and larger social clubs. As Sarno tells it, the group demanded $500 from him for them to “protect” participants during the walk. White Rabbits club president Jakob Fite allegedly asked why Sarno didn’t get his permission first, since his group “ran the park” and had authority from Disney to demand protection money.

giphy.gif

Stevek

Unfortunately, like with any fandom, the Disney fanbase can exhibit embarrassing behavior on a regular basis. There are many times where fans come off as completely out of touch with a non-Disney reality and you wonder if many of them could function outside of their Disney bubble. I've met a few that definitely could not but again, maybe Disney is the one place where they feel normal and they can hang with people that a) have the same interests as them and b) have the same "real world" problems as them. It's situations like this that perfectly illustrate how fans can go too far down the rabbit hole...

Tony the Tigger

According to Sarno, about a week before the 2016 walk, he was approached on Disney property by five members of the White Rabbits, one of the park’s older and larger social clubs. As Sarno tells it, the group demanded $500 from him for them to “protect” participants during the walk. White Rabbits club president Jakob Fite allegedly asked why Sarno didn’t get his permission first, since his group “ran the park” and had authority from Disney to demand protection money.

giphy.gif

Protect them from whom? They’re at Disneyland!

mickEblu

Part of me takes issue with them organizing stuff like that bubble walk (which was mentioned by @mickEblu , as well as a poster in the micechat comment section). It seems like they really are trying to implement themselves into the "Disneyland experience", with them acting as honorary security guards, and trying to add to the atmospheric entertainment.

Acting like honorary security guards and all of that “turf” stuff is lame. But like I said I haven’t experienced any of that. As far as the bubble parade, happening to walk in behind that was cool because it was random. If they started scheduling these walks or parades nightly I would probably feel different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom