News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

TP2000

Yep. I've heard from many today who are not at all happy. The work conditions will suck and hours will be seriously reduced because of low attendance. Disneyland should open when it can operate as it's meant to.

I will continue to marvel at how they are going to run the parks and attractions at 50% or less capacity, but I'm also trying to visualize what your statement means.

Does that mean Disneyland stays closed until such time that a vaccine has been created and administered to at least 200 Million Americans?

Or, because a vaccine is far from certain, does that mean that Disneyland stays closed until such time that the United Nations declares that the top ten countries that supply customers to Disneyland (USA, Mexico, Canada, Australia, Japan, Korea, UK, France, New Zealand, Germany) achieve a 70% herd immunity among their population?

But let's go with the super optimistic vaccine timetable, wherein President Trump's Operation Warp Speed initiative creates an effective vaccine by October, and then the federal government administers the vaccine to the first 200 Million Americans by December, which would allow Disneyland to open in January.

Does that mean 30,000 Disneyland Resort Cast Members remain at home on unemployment for another seven months? Who pays for that? And what makes a Disneyland CM so special if their counterparts at Target and In-N-Out and Ralph's are all expected to keep working?

TP2000

My big question for reopening though is:

What the heck are they going to do about bag check?!?!

Universal solved this years ago by having all bags scanned so they are still good to go with that system.

Post-Covid reopening, does Disney still do the 'paw through all your belongings' method? Or in the next month will we (I HOPE!) see bag scanners added to the security lines?

I went to Universal Studios years ago with some family, and I marveled at their bag check and security screening process! It was fast, friendly, and very efficient. Like seriously friendly and fast. It was a wonderful way to enter the park and start the day on a good note.

This was years ago. And Disneyland has had almost 20 years to figure it out, and they just refuse.

And yet Disneyland has (or had) a Vice President who was in charge of "Guest Arrival Experience", and he probably pulls in a good six figure income and has a 4 bedroom plus den in Yorba Linda for all his hard work on completely botching Disneyland's Guest Arrival Experience for years and years.

Seriously, there is a Vice President getting paid cash money to create this "Guest Arrival Experience" for the last 10 years! And how is he going to redo this for Covid Social Distancing???

tmotuvqwwd4y.jpg

Last edited:

cmwade77

My big question for reopening though is:

What the heck are they going to do about bag check?!?!

Universal solved this years ago by having all bags scanned so they are still good to go with that system.

Post-Covid reopening, does Disney still do the 'paw through all your belongings' method? Or in the next month will we (I HOPE!) see bag scanners added to the security lines?
Hopefully do what Six Flags is doing and install a very sophisticated system that can check bags as you walk through without even needing to take the bag off, just walk through and then if they need secondary screening, pull you aside.

Darkbeer1

Someone died on Indy? When??

From Wikipedia:

Indiana Jones Adventure[edit]

Main article: Indiana Jones Adventure

• On June 25, 2000, a 23-year-old woman from Spain exited the Indiana Jones ride complaining of a severe headache. She was hospitalized later that day and was discovered to have suffered a brain hemorrhage. She died on September 1, 2000 of a cerebral aneurysm.[57] Her family's subsequent wrongful death lawsuit against Disney stated that the victim died because of "violent shaking and stresses imposed by the ride." In an interlocutory appeal (an appeal of a legal issue within the case prior to a decision on the case's merits), the California Supreme Court held that amusement parks are considered "common carriers" similar to commercially operated planes, trains, elevators and ski lifts. This ruling imposes a heightened duty of care on amusement parks and requires them to provide the same degree of care and safety as do other common carriers.[58][59] Disney settled the lawsuit for an undisclosed sum after the interlocutory appeal, but before a decision was rendered on the case's merits. The victim's medical costs were estimated at more than $1.3 million.[60]

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

From Wikipedia:

Indiana Jones Adventure[edit]

Main article: Indiana Jones Adventure

• On June 25, 2000, a 23-year-old woman from Spain exited the Indiana Jones ride complaining of a severe headache. She was hospitalized later that day and was discovered to have suffered a brain hemorrhage. She died on September 1, 2000 of a cerebral aneurysm.[57] Her family's subsequent wrongful death lawsuit against Disney stated that the victim died because of "violent shaking and stresses imposed by the ride." In an interlocutory appeal (an appeal of a legal issue within the case prior to a decision on the case's merits), the California Supreme Court held that amusement parks are considered "common carriers" similar to commercially operated planes, trains, elevators and ski lifts. This ruling imposes a heightened duty of care on amusement parks and requires them to provide the same degree of care and safety as do other common carriers.[58][59] Disney settled the lawsuit for an undisclosed sum after the interlocutory appeal, but before a decision was rendered on the case's merits. The victim's medical costs were estimated at more than $1.3 million.[60]
She shouldn't have looked into the eyes of Mara.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I've done that!

Just for fun I would get in the long line at Award Wieners - Best Wiener In A Supporting Roll and settle in like I was waiting with the unwashed masses for a hot dog. But then I'd get out my phone, tap and swipe and order a full meal, and then two minutes later step out of line and look dismissively at those who remained.

I would then make a point of waving my tray full of food around as I passed all those fools who were still waiting in line to order. Once you'd been on Radiator Springs Racers and had a Manhattan at Carthay Circle, there wasn't much else in DCA to keep you entertained, so that's all you had. Passive-Aggressive Mobile Ordering, a DCA exclusive!

It's going to be kind of sad if everyone is mobile ordering now at Award Wieners. I'll just have to be that guy at the end of the bar at Carthay nursing my Manhattan and talking to the bartender about the old days when most fools had no idea how Mobile Ordering worked. :confused:
I Love the look people give you when you are in the fastpass line and they are in standby and you are just walking through like nothing. I always have a smug smile. one time i waved. It amazes me how many people who go to the park don't know about the fastpass system or how to use it.

D

Deleted member 107043

All I know for certain is, I don't intend to visit anytime soon.

Same here. You couldn't pay me to board a plane and fly to Orange County right now, much less go to Disneyland. All those random people from Lord knows where coughing and sneezing and kids with sticky hands touching everything. Ew. Gross. No thank you ma'am.

I know it's wishful thinking but oooh-weee I wish they would make the reservation system permanent.

Giss Neric

I'm not sure why there seems to be confusion on how rides will operate. As someone who has already visited Universal Orlando post COVID, it's not all that hard. Skip rows on attractions Pirates/Small World. Yes capacity is reduced, but if the capacity of the park in general is reduced it won't really matter.

JC is a little more awkward due to it's shape, but you could still stagger parties around the boat while filling less. It's going to be a while until we hear "fill in all available space."
Yes, that is all true but Universal visitors are more forgiving, empathetic, understanding, lenient, and optimistic. Disney visitors, on the other hand, are entitled, borderline delusional, impatient, and unappeasable.

I have encountered this so many times on both parks. Yes, there are horrible people and it can happen to both parks but it seems it's activated more at Disney parks.

TP2000

You couldn't pay me to board a plane and fly to Orange County right now, much less go to Disneyland. All those random people from Lord knows where coughing and sneezing and kids with sticky hands touching everything. Ew. Gross. No thank you ma'am.

I know it's wishful thinking but oooh-weee I wish they would make the reservation system permanent.

Hans, you just described most Coach class plane travel in the last 30 years.

There's a reason why I still have foreign countries on my Bucket List; I can only afford to fly international Business or First Class so many times every year or three. You've got to spread it out to afford Business or First, or else you're stuck back in Coach for 12 hours with some truly horrible people doing truly horrible things.

Also, there's children back in Coach. No thanks. :oops:

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised that a year or two from now, assuming Disneyland and the Walt Disney Company still exist, that there is a Reservations Only process for Disneyland on peak weekends and holiday periods at least. It would certainly make things easier. And less sticky.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

There's a reason why I still have foreign countries on my Bucket List; I can only afford to fly international Business or First Class so many times every year or three. You've got to spread it out to afford Business or First, or else you're stuck back in Coach for 12 hours with some truly horrible people doing truly horrible things.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised that a year or two from now, assuming Disneyland and the Walt Disney Company still exist, that there is a Reservations Only process for Disneyland on peak weekends and holiday periods at least. It would certainly make things easier. And less sticky.

I'm picturing you boarding a plane. Stopping. Sniffing the air. And in a hoarse whisper proclaim, "I smell... children!"

Figments Friend

Now , now TP.
Coach isn't all THAT bad.

When I fly, it's always 'coach' and I've done just fine.
I even fly coast to coast 'coach' when I come out for my California adventures and event flew to the U.K. three times in 'coach' ( however, it was British Airways 'coach' in the late 90s, which was basically like First Class here with stateside carriers ).

I think the reason I haven't had to deal with a lot of the unpleasant issues mentioned is I tend to book my own flights and seats online.
It's terrific to be able to choose my own seat.
It's why the Internet was created, I'm sure.

The secret to awesome coach experiences to keep you away from the annoying folk and grubby children...or worse - screaming infants ..?
I shall tell you- book any of the last two or three rows on a plane.
Yep.
Works like a charm!
I've had amazing flights.
Many times I'll have a row to myself.
All the riff raff and young families with the kiddies want to sit further up so they can get off the plane quicker.
Smart folks choose the last couple of rows.

Other benefits -
Usually the first general group to board, so 'first ones' on, 'last ones" off.

'First group on' means you get first dibs on the overhead bins to store your stuff. Always a plus!

'Last ones' off is great if you don't have connecting flights or are not in a rush - take your time, and exit a empty plane! No waiting in the aisle, no cramped against other people. Sit and relax...then exit with plenty of space.

Close to the lavatories, if you are the type of traveler that needs them during the flight.

Close to the stewards / stewardesses...they often sit in those seats too, or just behind you. ( boys, behave! )

Price is usually the more reasonable rate.

Tragedy strikes...or a bird strikes...and the plane crashes?
No problem - tail section usually survives the crash.
Why do you think they locate the 'black box' in that area?
;)

Yeah, coach can be swell.
If you know how to wrangle it.

:)

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom