News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

smooch

They are linking here now from the top page banner which has some details.

1591878841056.png

I don't know why but I feel like we might see more warnings like this for places reopening in some capacity while COVID-19 is still a pressing issue and I feel like eventually it'll become akin to Prop 65 cancer warnings present on every single building in California. Heck, the office building that I work in has the label on the front, along with every single fast food drive-thru window, restaurant, store, etc.

smooch

If you read the comments on the announcements on Twitter, you would expect people would get excited but nooooo.. Goes to show how toxic people in twitter are. Bashing Disney for opening too soon and only cares about profit and not the safety of their castmembers.

It's funny seeing these people saying how they don't care about the safety of their cast members which is so obviously false but I have two close friends who are full time CMs and they have both been saying this whole time how much they want to get back and make magic for people and that they miss work. But people love to make claims on other peoples behalves and criticize any decision made just to cause an argument.

cmwade77

Yep. I've heard from many today who are not at all happy. The work conditions will suck and hours will be seriously reduced because of low attendance. Disneyland should open when it can operate as it's meant to.
As I said before, I have heard the opposite and waiting until Disneyland can operate as it used to would mean never reopening, because that just isn't going to happen.

cmwade77

I don't know why but I feel like we might see more warnings like this for places reopening in some capacity while COVID-19 is still a pressing issue and I feel like eventually it'll become akin to Prop 65 cancer warnings present on every single building in California. Heck, the office building that I work in has the label on the front, along with every single fast food drive-thru window, restaurant, store, etc.
Yeah, it will become the Prop 65 stickers we all pass by and promptly ignore because they are pointless these days as they are posted so many places rather than just the worst offenders as anything may cause cancer these days, it will be the same with Covid-19 warnings.

Here is the reality:
Life has risks and none of us will get out of here alive.

cmwade77

One should never have risk death just to ride a flying elephant.
Yet you do every time you go to the parks, you risk getting any number of diseases from West Nile Virus to the Flu, any of which can kill you.

Just like these diseases though, if you look at the actual death rates reported by the CDC, The chances are very remote that Covid-19 will kill you, despite what the media and so called "experts" want you to believe.

So this is really nothing different

el_super

We've certainly come a long way from "they can open in two weeks" and "no one planning for July."
Personally I think it's still too early, as I see a lot of others do too, but we always knew that it would be a compromise. The real question is whether they will find enough people willing to not only put up with the more restrictive requirements for entry, but the decreased level of value in the overall product, to justify being open. In addition to the pure logistics of reopening the park and retraining the cast, they are now facing the worst economy in decades and of course entertainment spending is usually the hardest hit in these scenarios.

All I know for certain is, I don't intend to visit anytime soon.

If you read the comments on the announcements on Twitter, you would expect people would get excited but nooooo.. Goes to show how toxic people in twitter are. Bashing Disney for opening too soon and only cares about profit and not the safety of their castmembers.
Yes, my CM friends are none too happy about this decision.

I've been reading some pretty harsh stuff around the internet, and to be frank, I am surprised. I feel they felt obligated to make this announcement sooner rather than later, because the public sentiment is once again turning toward the negative. It does not sound like they have done enough to appease their union members, and they will absolutely have to make sure the Cast Members are comfortable returning to work, or otherwise cared for, before they reopen. By making the announcement now though, most of the power now sits on the union side, which from where I am sitting, seems like an odd strategic blunder.

Of course though, I understand the psychological barrier of being closed on Disneyland's anniversary (and a milestone one at that). Getting over the hurdle of reopening will be hard, but after that if things start looking ugly again, they can always reduce hours or keep the parks closed a couple days a week.

el_super

It's funny seeing these people saying how they don't care about the safety of their cast members which is so obviously false but I have two close friends who are full time CMs and they have both been saying this whole time how much they want to get back and make magic for people and that they miss work. But people love to make claims on other peoples behalves and criticize any decision made just to cause an argument.

You can miss work, and also be terrified to return under the current circumstances. As I mentioned before, I had seen a couple posts out there where CMs are now agonizing over the decision to run the risk of returning to work, or give up their dream job and quit. It's a tough decision. Hopefully we still have a enough humanity to sympathize with the Cast Members.

Phroobar

Yet you do every time you go to the parks, you risk getting any number of diseases from West Nile Virus to the Flu, any of which can kill you.

Just like these diseases though, if you look at the actual death rates reported by the CDC, The chances are very remote that Covid-19 will kill you, despite what the media and so called "experts" want you to believe.

So this is really nothing different
That joke flew right over your head didn't it? You see, if you rode an actually flying elephant, you would be risking death by falling off of it.

disneygeek90

I'm not sure why there seems to be confusion on how rides will operate. As someone who has already visited Universal Orlando post COVID, it's not all that hard. Skip rows on attractions Pirates/Small World. Yes capacity is reduced, but if the capacity of the park in general is reduced it won't really matter.

JC is a little more awkward due to it's shape, but you could still stagger parties around the boat while filling less. It's going to be a while until we hear "fill in all available space."

cmwade77

I'm not sure why there seems to be confusion on how rides will operate. As someone who has already visited Universal Orlando post COVID, it's not all that hard. Skip rows on attractions Pirates/Small World. Yes capacity is reduced, but if the capacity of the park in general is reduced it won't really matter.

JC is a little more awkward due to it's shape, but you could still stagger parties around the boat while filling less. It's going to be a while until we hear "fill in all available space."
Hmm, what does that do to the Muppets preshow at Hollywood Studios? LOL

MarvelCharacterNerd

I love that! And I appreciate that your mental image is of DCA. That park really blossomed over the last decade, and is finally a worthy companion to Disneyland. It's a fabulous place now. The entertainment is a big part of that transformation.

This will be fun to watch how TDA handles this. Attraction capacity, restaurant ordering and dining, entertainment viewing, etc., etc. All that stuff has to be completely rethought.

If TDA can re-imagine a world where their hotel rooms are cleaned before new customers check in, I'm sure they'll surprise us with some fun new things in the parks. Now we just have to figure out how we get allowed back into those parks!
While I'm fully willing to acknowledge that DCA is still the less popular choice for understandable reasons and is still, depending on your park priorities, only a half day "adventure", I can honestly say that the majority of my happiest moments in the last decade happened at DCA - all thanks to amazing, magical cast members. I cannot say enough that CAST MAKE THE MAGIC HAPPEN.

This is not to say I don't adore everything that DL has to offer - it is Walt's park and it's a pilgrimage every time I enter. And I've had glorious moments there as well. But DCA became my 'home away from home' starting with ElecTRONica and when I think of wanting to go back to the parks, DCA - and all the cast members there - is what I picture first. ❤

MarvelCharacterNerd

My big question for reopening though is:

What the heck are they going to do about bag check?!?!

Universal solved this years ago by having all bags scanned so they are still good to go with that system.

Post-Covid reopening, does Disney still do the 'paw through all your belongings' method? Or in the next month will we (I HOPE!) see bag scanners added to the security lines?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom