News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Dude what is your problem? Why are you so hostile?
Not hostile at all.

Aulani accepting reservations for 2021 even though they are closed doesn't apply to Disneyland. Different state, different rules and regulations. Maybe you will be able to book a reservation for 2021 soon I don't know. I suggest you call Disneyland and find out. However my guess is that they don't even know. Which is why I said my suspicion is they are going to wait to release 2021 bookings until they reopen, maybe I'm wrong, only Disney would know however.

CaptainAmerica

Not hostile at all.

Aulani accepting reservations for 2021 even though they are closed doesn't apply to Disneyland. Different state, different rules and regulations. Maybe you will be able to book a reservation for 2021 soon I don't know. I suggest you call Disneyland and find out. However my guess is that they don't even know. Which is why I said my suspicion is they are going to wait to release 2021 bookings until they reopen, maybe I'm wrong, only Disney would know however.
If your first answer was accurate, and I have no reason to believe it wasn't, it sounds like Disneyland hotels are not available for the next calendar year this far in advance anyways, so whether the parks are open or not seems to be beside the point.

My follow-up point is that TWDC as a whole has not put a halt to bookings for things that are currently closed, including Aulani and WDW resorts that are not yet open.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If your first answer was accurate, and I have no reason to believe it wasn't, it sounds like Disneyland hotels are not available for the next calendar year this far in advance anyways, so whether the parks are open or not seems to be beside the point.

My follow-up point is that TWDC as a whole has not put a halt to bookings for things that are currently closed, including Aulani and WDW resorts that are not yet open.
And maybe you're right, I don't know. I was just providing my suspicions based on current status of the Disneyland Resort. If for example its still closed in October when the 2021 bookings normally would be out, would they actually release the 2021 bookings? Again my suspicion is no, but who knows. We'll just have to see what happens, or you can call and ask.

Mac Tonight

JadedSandyAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif

Curious Constance

I feel like Disneyland reservations for the new year typically open around Julyish, but you can book a hotel for the DLR in Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec of this year right now so I don’t think the parks being closed have much to do with it not being available in the new year either. Maybe it is later in the year that they open the next year up. I have July in my head though, but I could be wrong.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I feel like Disneyland reservations for the new year typically open around Julyish, but you can book a hotel for the DLR in Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec of this year right now so I don’t think the parks being closed have much to do with it not being available in the new year either. Maybe it is later in the year that they open the next year up. I have July in my head though, but I could be wrong.
Going back and looking at old threads it appears in years past the bookings for the next year at DLR open between end of July and end of September.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
So, this article popped up yesterday, and since then, a lot of other news sites are citing it and publishing similar titles.

When I look at the quote from California Health and Human Services spokesperson Kate Folmar, it is as follows:

“Theme parks are not permitted to open in California at this time, under current public health orders,” California Health and Human Services spokesperson Kate Folmar said via email. “We will continue to review health data to determine when and how theme parks may consider reopening at lower risk to staff and visitors.”

I am under the impression that this isn’t news and this is just a generic response. But based on the amount of traction this response has gotten— I mean, all Disney news websites from to Disney Tourist Blog, AND news sites like MSN— I am wondering if this is actually something to grasp at? It is being framed like Officials are actively looking now at how and when to open the parks... but To me it just seems like “it will happen when it happens as we actively obtain more data and move to the next stage” type thing. Thoughts?

Darkbeer1

Last week I posted something along the lines that some news might happen next week, but don't expect much.

We were told the state might actually start to accept data and info, including steps to start reopening.

So we have some movement, where there have been none.

But it is only a small step, one of many that have to be taken before the state will issue guidelines, and hopefully a date so companies can plan to get things ready, and start training staff.

mickEblu

Last week I posted something along the lines that some news might happen next week, but don't expect much.

We were told the state might actually start to accept data and info, including steps to start reopening.

So we have some movement, where there have been none.

But it is only a small step, one of many that have to be taken before the state will issue guidelines, and hopefully a date so companies can plan to get things ready, and start training staff.

From what I understand Disney would need 3-4 weeks from being given the green light to have the parks up and running again. It starting to look we’d be lucky if they were open by early November. Of course you have to wonder if this winter is even possible with flu season in high gear and illnesses being mistaken for one another in addition to r Covid #s that dont seem to be going down.

Personally, I think it’s time to open the parks with the same rules that apply everywhere else like Target and Ralph’s. Yes I know they are essential but they are also indoors like DLs attractions. I think that DL with masks and social distancing and masks is probably safer than your local Target as folks are accustomed to following more rules and structure at theme parks. I also think Disneyland would open with a lot more guidance and structure as opposed to somewhere like Target where once you re inside shopping it’s a free for all.

It’s time to open the parks with the social distancing, mask requirements, limited capacity and all of the other safety precautions Disney would implement. Granted I wouldn’t be in a rush to go back with those rules in place but I think I and others should have the right to choose and I don’t think that governor should continue to hold Disney hostage.

Could they get away with opening DL with only outdoor attractions at least as a start? Would that work logistically (with limited capacity) and would it be financially feasible?

Last edited:

el_super

It’s time to open the parks with the social distancing, mask requirements, limited capacity and all of the other safety precautions Disney would implement.

It's really not. It's still an unnecessary risk to have so many people congregating. It will take a couple more weeks for the numbers to stablize before they have a clear indication if it's safe to try the indoor dining again. Once that can be safely done with no additional threat to the health care capacity, they can talk about reopening schools and then maybe Disneyland after that.

Could they get away with opening DL with only outdoor attractions at least as a start? Would that work logistically (with limited capacity) and would it be financially feasible?

It really wouldn't make much sense financially or otherwise. All it would do is keep case counts high and prolong the closures even moreso than reopening Downtown Disney has.

mickEblu

It's really not. It's still an unnecessary risk to have so many people congregating. It will take a couple more weeks for the numbers to stablize before they have a clear indication if it's safe to try the indoor dining again. Once that can be safely done with no additional threat to the health care capacity, they can talk about reopening schools and then maybe Disneyland after that.

It really wouldn't make much sense financially or otherwise. All it would do is keep case counts high and prolong the closures even moreso than reopening Downtown Disney has.

So you agree then that DL would be no less safe than a Target?

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
It is interesting that a big chunk of Gov Newsom’s news conference today was on the need for economic recovery. Also, he noted that ICU and hospitalization rates are both down nearly 20% over the last two weeks. Of course he went into his typical “data and uh science” by encouraging masks and social distancing, as he should, but he said they are working on school reforms right now. I see this as his “dimmer switch” getting ready to turn on a little bit for more things again, and I agree it will start with things like indoor dining, indoor barbershops, and indoor malls before they get to theme parks. But every time something else gets permission is another step closer :)

Also, in looking at the list of ALL Disneyland and DCA attractions, there are like 20 that are outdoor only. And some of those are interactive which scratch those off. But I see a problem with operating half a park without deducting admission or using a reservation. A lot of APs won’t see the bang for their buck and want to cancel—because whose to say how long “outdoor ride” operation will last—losing that group. And a lot of day-only guests won’t see the benefit to throw so much money and travel and risk away for half a park experience. There is already no shows. PLUS, this is 20 rides between BOTH parks... if you can’t park hop, then than is even less worth it. I get it though, and I have been thinking to myself “well, what if they pull off a knott’s-like festival?” But that requires separate admission because it’s technically paying for the food and doesn’t require a park ticket per say. So idk. Lots to think about, which I’m sure Disney is doing.

Darkbeer1, do you know if Anaheim has been recovering a little from DTD opening? Do you know how those businesses are looking? I really feel for them...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom