Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

Stevek

I will contribute because Disney did something truly stupid.

We had booked GC 11 months ago because we own there. Who knew that it would still be closed. Today, we called to get it cancelled and asked what we can do with the points.

The answer we got was: too bad, so sad.

We have a call into a supervisor, but now we're scrambling to figure out what to do with those points. Which have to be used by the end of May. At this point it looks like maybe WDW for a few days at Saratoga is the only thing available.
I was speaking more around Park tickets in general but agree, hotel/DVC reservations should have some priority for tickets/entry.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Who cares about Los Angeles, unless you are talking about USH and SFMM.

The important area is Orange County, where the DLR is located.

Except it matters when your county's terror alert status determines whether you're "allowed" to do things. So, he's right. Who cares about LA County when it comes to DLR. It isn't in there, it isn't near there, its terror alert status will not be determined by it.

I know about the county tiers. I was the one who explained the Byzantine arithmetic to you all that previously had San Fransisco in a better tier than Orange due to the equity adjustment.

Orange is part of the greater L.A. area, so, what I said was true.

The very article you just quoted from the Ocean County Register goes out of its way to talk about what neighboring counties -- you know, the ones in the greater LA Area -- are doing. And that's because borders are porous. People shop, commute, visit, make deliveries across county borders. It'd be unusual for a county to be drastically different than its neighbors with regard to a communicable disease. The first OCR article you quoted talked about "California theme parks" in general which span more than Orange County, which you so smartly point out.

So, go ahead and write a letter to the OCR editor explaining to them how imprecise they are for not specifically teasing out Disney Parks in Orange County. I guess the Ocean County Register is a dummy like me who don't know where the Disney Parks are and how their unique county designation separates them from other theme parks.

But good on you for missing my point that the entire region, including Orange County, won't have to worry about the tiers because the entire region, including Orange County, will be in the most permissive tier due to the amount of vaccine production.

Emmanuel

Interesting that channel 5 here in LA area stated that indoor rides will NOT be reopening when Disneyland reopens though we've seen other reports that Mansion for example, will be opening.

Even Disney said that indoor rides like Rise and Snow White would open. Likely Disney will soon release a list of rides that will be available initially once they work things out with the state.

mickEblu

I’m guessing at DL this 15 % capacity thing only applies to POTC and IASW. They are the only long indoor rides where we are sharing ride vehicles. Mansion is long(ish) but we re all in our own vehicles.

StarWarsGirl

I was speaking more around Park tickets in general but agree, hotel/DVC reservations should have some priority for tickets/entry.
Which is what we thought would happen given what happened at WDW when it opened; DVC members with prior reservations had priority, or we thought we could bank the point and go next year, but Disney is being really stubborn. We'll have to see what the supervisor says, but otherwise, it looks like we may be using the points to go to WDW again.

Their attitude was like, but you can enjoy the hotel and go to DTD! Why would we want to do that? To just do that, I'd rather stay at Saratoga Springs and go to Disney Springs. Our APs are still good at WDW.

mickEblu

I’m guessing Nemo.

Speaking of Nemo, I hope they preserve the lagoon somehow. I would rather they build a restaurant where the queue is perhaps extending over the water a bit. Much rather see that than the lagoon going away for Tron or Frozen. If they were willing to spend some money they can put it underground and have part of it be an aquarium. They could fill the lagoon with tropical fish and props from the Submarine Voyage.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

California rules are different than Florida.

That said, the current California rules (aka fine print) haven't even bee published et. (Expected shortly)
I think it was one party per raft originally with no issue. I think now they have plexiglass.

Not that I know for sure because I don't like getting wet.

el_super

I’m guessing at DL this 15 % capacity thing only applies to POTC and IASW. They are the only long indoor rides where we are sharing ride vehicles. Mansion is long(ish) but we re all in our own vehicles.

We are waiting to see what the "time restriction" piece means, but I can tell you that Indiana Jones has become a bit of a concern, since the queue is almost entirely indoors and there isn't really much of a way in circumventing that. If they end up in a scenario where they can only send a few people thru the queue at a time (with time added for the safety video) it's going to be hard to manage.

Kali operates in WDW and has from the beginning. I see no reason why Grizzly can't as well.

Maybe not a health and safety restriction but just a capacity/demand issue. It's been fairly cold in So Cal in the mornings (40's to 60s) so the demand for the ride probably wouldn't be there early enough to justify a whole operating day. No point really in bringing a crew in to run the ride for 4 hours a day.

ToTBellHop

We are waiting to see what the "time restriction" piece means, but I can tell you that Indiana Jones has become a bit of a concern, since the queue is almost entirely indoors and there isn't really much of a way in circumventing that. If they end up in a scenario where they can only send a few people thru the queue at a time (with time added for the safety video) it's going to be hard to manage.

Maybe not a health and safety restriction but just a capacity/demand issue. It's been fairly cold in So Cal in the mornings (40's to 60s) so the demand for the ride probably wouldn't be there early enough to justify a whole operating day. No point really in bringing a crew in to run the ride for 4 hours a day.
They are reopening going into the warmer months. They are currently planning to have Grizzly open this summer. Might it be the first one delayed a few weeks if they are still hiring CMs? Sure.

el_super

They are reopening going into the warmer months. They are currently planning to have Grizzly open this summer. Might it be the first one delayed a few weeks if they are still hiring CMs? Sure.

It's notoriously hard to calculate demand for water rides, just because the daily temps could unexpectedly shift it from a money maker to a loser real quick. Toward May and June when the marine layer starts the morning march inland, it can still be quite cold in socal before warming up in the afternoons. Of course some days it could be really warm in the mornings as well. so they have a lot of options between closed and open including limited daily operation for only a few hours, or even just weekend only operation to save some money.

But it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the water rides don't make the initial cut for opening.

ToTBellHop

It's notoriously hard to calculate demand for water rides, just because the daily temps could unexpectedly shift it from a money maker to a loser real quick. Toward May and June when the marine layer starts the morning march inland, it can still be quite cold in socal before warming up in the afternoons. Of course some days it could be really warm in the mornings as well. so they have a lot of options between closed and open including limited daily operation for only a few hours, or even just weekend only operation to save some money.

But it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the water rides don't make the initial cut for opening.
Sure, they are low-hanging fruit in late April. But they plan to open both this summer. This is likely Splash Mountain’s final summer. But, I agree that they are more of a necessity in July through September.

tomast

I am happy to see Disneyland is coming back!! Last year I was going for first time to Disneyland, I am now rescheduling my trip for july, hopefully the will alow foreing visitors to the park at that time!! And I hope my tickets are still valid 😬

Stevek

Speaking of Nemo, I hope they preserve the lagoon somehow. I would rather they build a restaurant where the queue is perhaps extending over the water a bit. Much rather see that than the lagoon going away for Tron or Frozen. If they were willing to spend some money they can put it underground and have part of it be an aquarium. They could fill the lagoon with tropical fish and props from the Submarine Voyage.
I think that Nemo opens back up eventually...it may not be until late this year or next year though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom