Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

ToTBellHop

I am happy to see Disneyland is coming back!! Last year I was going for first time to Disneyland, I am now rescheduling my trip for july, hopefully the will alow foreing visitors to the park at that time!! And I hope my tickets are still valid 😬
Do you mean “another country” by foreign or “Utah” by foreign?

Travel from most other countries is highly restricted right now and I can’t imagine that changing anytime soon due to the pace of vaccination elsewhere. Maybe UK?

J4546

at this point everyting is so in demand after being closed for a year im sure grzzly would have a line from open to close

el_super

at this point everyting is so in demand after being closed for a year im sure grzzly would have a line from open to close

Depends on how long it's opened. Just estimating the math here, we figured DCA's capacity is about 40,000, so at 15% that's only 6,000 people (max). GRR's capacity is around 2000 an hour, so even if you cut that in half, it will only take 6 hours for every single person in the park to ride it once.

Darkbeer1

>>
The Disneyland Resort will re-open on April 30, it was announced yesterday by Resort President Bob Chapek. Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure closed on March 14 of last year as part of the statewide shutdown ordered by Governor Gavin Newsom as part of his strategy to combat the spread of COVID-19.

In the case of Anaheim, Newsom’s strategy was successful in putting more than 30,000 Disney cast members out of work, destroying hundreds of small businesses, boosting local joblessness to Great Recession levels, shuttering dozens of hotels and blowing a $100 million hole in the City of Anaheim’s budget.

The re-opening comes in the wake of the Newsom Administration’s re-jiggering of the theme park re-opening guidelines it issued in December – which were roundly criticized at the time as flawed and divorced from the reality that theme parks operators such as Disney are capable of safely operating during the pandemic.

Governor Newsom has been the target of a recall campaign fueled by dissatisfaction with his handling of the pandemic. The recall is expected to qualify and go before the voters this Fall.

Under re-formulated theme park guidelines announced earlier this month, the Disneyland Resort could re-open with limited capacity as early as April 1. However, after being closed for more than a year, Disney cannot simply flip a switch and welcome guests to the park.

Thousands of laid off cast members have to be recalled. Many cast members had to find new employment and may choose not the return. Whether they are returning veterans or new hires, they have to be re-trained according to new operations protocols geared to the pandemic. And keep in mind that the Newsom Administration is complicating the matter by dragging its heels on issuing more detailed guidelines on what counts as safe operation of rides and guest traffic. The state has decreed that all Disneyland Resort guests must be California residents and wear masks, cast members must be tested weekly and no indoor dining is allowed.

Disneyland Resort operations also depend up an extensive network of outside vendors – many of which went out of business during the state-government-imposed shutdown. That means Disney has to re-build its vendor network.

Disney’s other theme parks re-opened months ago, and have demonstrated the company’s expertise in safely operating a major theme park – contrary to lockdown advocates who predicted re-opened theme parks would function as super-spreaders. The reality has been opposite.

Re-opening the Disneyland Resort, even on a limited basis, is enormously good news for Anaheim Resort hotels and other businesses, many of which have closed their doors or are hanging by a thread. At least 29 Resort area hotels simply shut their doors pending a re-opening of the park.

Even so, the park’s re-opening is only a first step toward resorting vitality to Anaheim’s economic engine. Inexplicably, Governor Newsom has yet to issue guidelines for the conventions and meetings industry. Without guidelines, Anaheim Convention Center cannot re-open and hotel ballrooms and meeting rooms remain ideal because they cannot book weddings, banquets, business meetings. This failure by the Newsom Administration has been costing Anaheim hundreds of millions of dollars in lost economic impact from canceled conventions, and more major conventions are poised to cancel if the state does not act soon.<<

Disney Irish

Premium Member
>>
The Disneyland Resort will re-open on April 30, it was announced yesterday by Resort President Bob Chapek. Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure closed on March 14 of last year as part of the statewide shutdown ordered by Governor Gavin Newsom as part of his strategy to combat the spread of COVID-19.

In the case of Anaheim, Newsom’s strategy was successful in putting more than 30,000 Disney cast members out of work, destroying hundreds of small businesses, boosting local joblessness to Great Recession levels, shuttering dozens of hotels and blowing a $100 million hole in the City of Anaheim’s budget.

The re-opening comes in the wake of the Newsom Administration’s re-jiggering of the theme park re-opening guidelines it issued in December – which were roundly criticized at the time as flawed and divorced from the reality that theme parks operators such as Disney are capable of safely operating during the pandemic.

Governor Newsom has been the target of a recall campaign fueled by dissatisfaction with his handling of the pandemic. The recall is expected to qualify and go before the voters this Fall.

Under re-formulated theme park guidelines announced earlier this month, the Disneyland Resort could re-open with limited capacity as early as April 1. However, after being closed for more than a year, Disney cannot simply flip a switch and welcome guests to the park.

Thousands of laid off cast members have to be recalled. Many cast members had to find new employment and may choose not the return. Whether they are returning veterans or new hires, they have to be re-trained according to new operations protocols geared to the pandemic. And keep in mind that the Newsom Administration is complicating the matter by dragging its heels on issuing more detailed guidelines on what counts as safe operation of rides and guest traffic. The state has decreed that all Disneyland Resort guests must be California residents and wear masks, cast members must be tested weekly and no indoor dining is allowed.

Disneyland Resort operations also depend up an extensive network of outside vendors – many of which went out of business during the state-government-imposed shutdown. That means Disney has to re-build its vendor network.

Disney’s other theme parks re-opened months ago, and have demonstrated the company’s expertise in safely operating a major theme park – contrary to lockdown advocates who predicted re-opened theme parks would function as super-spreaders. The reality has been opposite.

Re-opening the Disneyland Resort, even on a limited basis, is enormously good news for Anaheim Resort hotels and other businesses, many of which have closed their doors or are hanging by a thread. At least 29 Resort area hotels simply shut their doors pending a re-opening of the park.

Even so, the park’s re-opening is only a first step toward resorting vitality to Anaheim’s economic engine. Inexplicably, Governor Newsom has yet to issue guidelines for the conventions and meetings industry. Without guidelines, Anaheim Convention Center cannot re-open and hotel ballrooms and meeting rooms remain ideal because they cannot book weddings, banquets, business meetings. This failure by the Newsom Administration has been costing Anaheim hundreds of millions of dollars in lost economic impact from canceled conventions, and more major conventions are poised to cancel if the state does not act soon.<<

I find it funny that these articles NEVER mention how both DLP and HKDL have had to close multiple times by their respective governments due to an increase of cases LESS than even OC had. And yet nobody is bringing up those CMs who lost their jobs because of that or deriding those government leaders. Or how about the article not bringing up the thousands of CMs that still haven't been called back to WDW even though it been reopened since July.

In fact it appears that when its all said and done DLP will likely have been closed for total time longer than DLR here in California. But again no one is bringing that up because its not part of the narrative against the Governor of California.

Last edited:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I find it funny that these articles NEVER mention both DLP and HKDL has had to close multiple times an increase of cases LESS than even OC had. And yet nobody is bringing up those CMs who lost their jobs because of that. Or the thousands that still haven't been called back to WDW even though it been reopened since July.

In fact it appears that when its all said and done DLP will likely have been closed for total time longer than DLR here in California. But again no one is bringing that up because its not part of the narrative against the Governor of California.
I’ll also add that I recall for a period of time TDL (while owned by OLC) was down to an EXCEEDINGLY LOW capacity at times as low as 5,000 people per day. This would possibly be in line with (or under) the new CA red tier.

Everyone here knows I have been critical of the Newsom administration. I still think he hasn’t been as forthcoming as he should have been about the FL trip and as CMs return it would behoove him and his staff to release the guidelines.

That said, whether if it’s because of vaccinations, politics, economics, or some combination of the 3 - the new guidelines are much more realistic. As I understand it the parks can be net profitability at 25%. Most indoor rides should be able to function with virtual queues as well.

While I understand the 15% in red tier is not ideal from an ops perspective it’s better to maintain operations as a loss leader than to re-close and retrain again. I also think (for DL park at least) day parting may still be a viable option where demand will be high for that park. Plus the value/incentive may equate better if a similarly priced one park ticket gets you 10-12 hour “full day” at DCA vs a 6-8 hour “part day” at DL proper.

J4546

get rid of nemo and autopia i say, theyre both terrible imo. but I get that some people like them but I think Disney could put better things in their place.

Mac Tonight

What would be awesome (but probably logistically impossible), is if they moved the Nemo subs to the Pixar Pier lagoon and gave us an IP-free attraction in Tomorrowland. Something like Seabase Alpha from The Living Seas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom