Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

Darkbeer1

Disney is betting that by the end of April, the L.A. area will move to the least restrictive tier and they can open at 35% if they want (tho, they may start at 25% in the first few weeks to manage crowds and get back in the groove... if they're more smart than greedy).

Who cares about Los Angeles, unless you are talking about USH and SFMM.

The important area is Orange County, where the DLR is located.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney is betting that by the end of April, the L.A. area will move to the least restrictive tier and they can open at 35% if they want (tho, they may start at 25% in the first few weeks to manage crowds and get back in the groove... if they're more smart than greedy).

Who cares about Los Angeles, unless you are talking about USH and SFMM.

The important area is Orange County, where the DLR is located.

That's like correcting someone for referring to WDW being in the greater Orlando area.

George Lucas on a Bench

That's like correcting someone for referring to WDW being in the greater Orlando area.

Except it matters when your county's terror alert status determines whether you're "allowed" to do things. So, he's right. Who cares about LA County when it comes to DLR. It isn't in there, it isn't near there, its terror alert status will not be determined by it.

J4546

Harbour blvd sucks and thats why disney was planning on building a parking structure and foot bridge over it with new drop off point as well and then walling off that entire area as a future expansion of CA. I could see them building the footbridge regardless of expansion plans or parking structure being built just to clean that area up for guests and have them avoid harbour all together.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
the genie is out of the bottle - i don't think we'll be seeing normal, in any capacity, for a long, long time.
Well the MODs certainly have their work cut out for them. But my hope is that after DLR reopens the need for non-park related discussions will be kept to a minimum naturally.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I read that when CA theme parks reopen it is not adviseable to scream while riding the roller coasters. At WDW I still cannot gather the courage to ride Summit Plummet at Blizzard Beach.

TP2000

Kind of, but not really in this case.

California has Four Tiers that are dictated by county. Los Angeles County is north of Orange County. Both counties are HUGE, and have more people and/or land area than many entire states. LA County has 10 Million people, Orange County has 3.3 Million people.

And each county is tracked and moved by Sacramento through the Tier system independently. So you could have a situation where Universal Studios in LA County is in the Red Tier and can only allow 15% into their park and no indoor dining, where Disneyland in Orange County is in the Orange Tier and can allow 25% into their park and have indoor dining.

Businesses live and die by Sacramento's Tier system based on counties. Including theme parks. And the "LA area" has 18 million people living in four different counties. Five if you count Ventura County, which is tiny by SoCal standards but adds another million people.

Last edited:

TP2000

I think it would be super fun to be a part of the opening day mess! Not the typical type of experience that's for sure, but I still want to be there to experience firsthand.

I guess you're right, it could be fun as just sort of morbid curiosity.

Like being there on July 17th, 1955; nothing really worked and you didn't get on many rides and it was hot and frustrating, but at least you could say you were there, and maybe you even saw Frank Sinatra on Autopia.

But you can go on April 30th and represent me, please. I'll just be here, sipping a beverage. Have fun! Report back! :cool:

I will contribute because Disney did something truly stupid.

We had booked GC 11 months ago because we own there. Who knew that it would still be closed. Today, we called to get it cancelled and asked what we can do with the points.

The answer we got was: too bad, so sad.

We have a call into a supervisor, but now we're scrambling to figure out what to do with those points. Which have to be used by the end of May. At this point it looks like maybe WDW for a few days at Saratoga is the only thing available.

That's really disheartening to hear! I would think think they'd bend the rules a bit for DVC members in this current situation.

I'm with DrAlice, one of the few members I haven't Canceled with the ignore option. Enough is enough. The occasional TP2000 commentary is a guilty pleasure, but this place needs to get back to actually discussing Disneyland.

I'm trying to scale back. There's been nothing else to talk about here, but now with the park reopening we actually have Disneyland topics. It's been refreshing and fun around here this week! Almost like the old days. Almost.

That said, if there's a Disney Parks Blog announcement about refurbishing the Tiki Room to remove "negative depictions", all bets are off. ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Kind of, but not really in this case.

California has Four Tiers that are dictated by county. Los Angeles County is north of Orange County. Both counties are HUGE, and have more people and/or land area than many entire states. LA County has 10 Million people, Orange County has 3.3 Million people.

And county each is tracked and moved by Sacramento through the Tier system independently. So you could have a situation where Universal Studios in LA County is in the Red Tier and can only allow 15% into their park and no indoor dining, where Disneyland in Orange County is in the Orange Tier and can allow 25% into their park and have indoor dining.

Businesses live and die by Sacramento's Tier system based on counties. Including theme parks. And the "LA area" has 18 million people living in four different counties. Five if you count Ventura County, which is tiny by SoCal standards but adds another million people.
Almost as if California is a very large diverse state with different counties that all having their own microcosm outside the larger region. ;)

TP2000

Almost as if California is a very large diverse state with different counties that all having their own microcosm outside the larger region. ;)

Exactly. Except when Sacramento gets bored, then it's divvied into "Regions" where Mono County (human population 14,310, coyote population 87,592) is aligned with and held to the same standard as Los Angeles County 400 miles away.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Exactly. Except when Sacramento gets bored, then it's divvied into "Regions" where Mono County (human population 14,310, coyote population 87,592) is aligned with and held to the same standard as Los Angeles County 400 miles away.
Well that is a different topic one now best left in the past. But it is for a reason, one you may not agree with, but it was not because of boredom.

TP2000

Well that is a different topic one now best left in the past. But it is for a reason, one you may not agree with, but it was not because of boredom.

Huh. The good news is that the Tiers are falling away, and even Sacramento is rushing to move the goalposts and change rules and lower standards. With one quick lowering of standards last week, nearly the entire state instantly entered the Red Tier this week. Presto!

That will continue. It will get easier and easier for Disneyland to reopen and let more people in.

Before you know it, they'll even lower the standards enough to let in... Oregonians! :eek:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Huh. The good news is that the Tiers are falling away, and even Sacramento is rushing to move the goalposts and change rules and lower standards. With one quick lowering of standards last week, nearly the entire state instantly entered the Red Tier this week. Presto!

That will continue. It will get easier and easier for Disneyland to reopen and let more people in.

Before you know it, they'll even lower the standards enough to let in... Oregonians! :eek:
Well snark aside, just as with the "regions" there is a reason for the recent softening of the requirements for the tiers as well. It all because of the trends in cases continue to go down. The future models show that new case rates will continue to remain low due to the vaccination program. Especially the vaccinations in the lower income areas which were hit disproportionately more than others areas with COVID infections. So even if we disagree on how well California's vaccination program is doing, its having a large impact on case rates going forward allowing counties to move to the less restrictive tiers faster.

Anyways lets not drag this thread down with this too. Lets just leave it here and get the thread back to the reopening.

Last edited:

kevlightyear

How do you access this?
A bit of light hacking. Nothing nefarious, just knowing where to look and some scripts to make it easier.

Incidentally, the highest zoom level did finish uploading. For those interested, here's the mistake that made it in:

DL Map oops.jpg

Stevek

Interesting that channel 5 here in LA area stated that indoor rides will NOT be reopening when Disneyland reopens though we've seen other reports that Mansion for example, will be opening.

Stevek

15% capacity on Pirates? So basically, that means only one row in each six row boat may be filled. Like they'd just load Row 3 on the boats and not load anything else?

Pirates is one of those rides that's been widely used online as one of the highest capacity rides at Disneyland, and reportedly achieves 2,850ish per hour fairly easily so long as there is steady demand.

15% of 2,850, is 428 people per hour.

And next door, 15% capacity limit for Haunted Mansion would seem to mean they can run both stretching rooms Socially Distanced at very light loads and be just fine on their capacity limit.
Or perhaps you just reduce the number of boats and load every other row per boat? And as someone else pointed out, we'll hopefully be at 25% capacity by the time it opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom