Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

DrAlice

I'm surprised that not more is being made of the restriction to California residents only. While Disney is choosing to comply with limiting park access to California residents only (which they are entitled to do as a private organization), the People's Republic of California is mandating through force of Law that out of state residents are restricted from participating. This appears to be blatantly unconstitutional (Article 4). The question is mute since Disney is doing this also out if its own volition, but it makes you wonder if there were no state mandate to restrict out of state residents from participating, would Disney be doing it? But then again as has been seen with the pandemic, many constitutional rights have been bent...for the greater good...
I mean this in the nicest possible way: Could you just.... not?

We FINALLY have some actual Disney news that will allow this board to get back to talking about Disney. It would be great if we could prevent YET ANOTHER thread from devolving into the same political arguments that have been hashed and rehashed to death over the past year. If you'd like to discuss this particular aspect of Disneyland opening news, there is a lovely little politics forum for that specific purpose.

Thanks.

TP2000

15% capacity on Pirates? So basically, that means only one row in each six row boat may be filled. Like they'd just load Row 3 on the boats and not load anything else?

Pirates is one of those rides that's been widely used online as one of the highest capacity rides at Disneyland, and reportedly achieves 2,850ish per hour fairly easily so long as there is steady demand.

15% of 2,850, is 428 people per hour.

And next door, 15% capacity limit for Haunted Mansion would seem to mean they can run both stretching rooms Socially Distanced at very light loads and be just fine on their capacity limit.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
I'm surprised that not more is being made of the restriction to California residents only. While Disney is choosing to comply with limiting park access to California residents only (which they are entitled to do as a private organization), the People's Republic of California is mandating through force of Law that out of state residents are restricted from participating. This appears to be blatantly unconstitutional (Article 4). The question is mute since Disney is doing this also out if its own volition, but it makes you wonder if there were no state mandate to restrict out of state residents from participating, would Disney be doing it? But then again as has been seen with the pandemic, many constitutional rights have been bent...for the greater good...
In terms of the question “would Disney be doing it”... probably. in state visitors make up a large majority of Disneyland’s revenue, in comparison to the other parks, which heavily rely on non resident tourism. Heck, this same fact is what lead to Galaxy’s Edge underperforming on the west coast.

Last edited:

TP2000

In terms of the question “would Disney being doing it”... probably. in state visitors make up a large majority of Disneyland’s revenue, in comparison to the other parks, which heavily rely on non resident tourism. Heck, this same fact is what lead to Galaxy’s Edge underperforming on the west coast.

I think we're forgetting the issue of ride count and park capacity. And that's going to play into Disneyland's reopening in April quite noticeably too!

Disneyland Park has the most rides and the most E Tickets of any Disney theme park on the planet. By a mile. It's not even close. Even DCA next door, seen as a lesser park by most locals, has more rides and E Tickets than some WDW parks.

So plopping Star Wars Land into Disneyland and taking that parks roster of rides from 11 E Tickets to 13 E Tickets didn't have nearly the same impact as plopping that new land into DHS and taking that parks roster from 3 E Tickets to 5 E Tickets, with Runaway Railway quickly adding a 6th E Ticket to DHS. And there's only 9 rides total at DHS, compared to 42 rides at Disneyland. With an additional 20 rides next door at DCA.

You increased the E Ticket rides at DHS by 50% just by adding Star Wars Land! At Disneyland, you only increased the E Ticket options by 15% by adding Star Wars Land. Huge difference.

Last edited:

Jiggsawpuzzle35

15% capacity on Pirates? So basically, that means only one row in each six row boat may be filled. Like they'd just load Row 3 on the boats and not load anything else?

Pirates is one of those rides that's been widely used online as one of the highest capacity rides at Disneyland, and reportedly achieves 2,850ish per hour fairly easily so long as there is steady demand.

15% of 2,850, is 428 people per hour.

And next door, 15% capacity limit for Haunted Mansion would seem to mean they can run both stretching rooms Socially Distanced at very light loads and be just fine on their capacity limit.
We should be at 25% capacity though by April 30 right?

Californian Elitist

Not all of us in California experience this. SoCal does not equal the entirety of California.

/rant

(Yes. I was triggered.)
I was in Massachusetts before COVID for school and had to return home to California to finish my program. All my co-workers are from the east coast and during our meeting yesterday, one of them said she couldn’t imagine living in California and not experience that refreshed feeling of coming out of a snow season. I interjected and had to explain to her that Los Angeles doesn’t equate to the whole state and that it absolutely does snow here, including in LA County. She then said we don’t get months of snow like other states and I had to correct her again. She had no clue.

TP2000

We should be at 25% capacity though by April 30 right?

True. But today's Register article makes it sound like the indoor dark rides are being held to lower capacity standards regardless of the Tier the county is in.

It's very confusing. It would be extremely helpful if Sacramento would officially release their Guidance so we can see what all the rules and regulations actually are. But alas... :rolleyes:

TP2000

I was in Massachusetts before COVID for school and had to return home to California to finish my program. All my co-workers are from the east coast and during our meeting yesterday, one of them said she couldn’t imagine living in California and not experience that refreshed feeling of coming out of a snow season. I interjected and had to explain to her that Los Angeles doesn’t equate to the whole state and that it absolutely does snow here, including in LA County. She then said we don’t get months of snow like other states and I had to correct her again. She had no clue.

In her defense, I lived in New England through several winters. This is exactly the time of year, mid-March, where you are just dying and thinking "Will Winter never end?!? Am I doomed to frozen slush for all eternity?!"

And then April arrives, and yet... nothing happens. I'm pretty sure T.S. Eliot wrote "April is the cruelest month" after his car spun out on a slushy freeway on-ramp on Boston's I-93 in April. 🤣

But you are right, many folks in New England have very little understanding of California or the West Coast.

I once had a full on argument with a Boston dentist who claimed Oregon was nowhere near an ocean and was in the middle west somewhere. I was in the chair with my mouth full of gauze when this happened too! Because this was decades before smartphones, I had to wait six months for my next check up and bring in copies of Sunset magazine to show him what Oregon's stunning seacoast looks like. He was dumbfounded. And this was a dentist who (hopefully) went to college! 🤣

DrAlice

I once had a full on argument with a Boston dentist who claimed Oregon was nowhere near an ocean and was in the middle west somewhere. I was in the chair with my mouth full of gauze when this happened too! Because this was decades before smartphones, I had to wait six months for my next check up and bring in copies of Sunset magazine to show him what Oregon's stunning seacoast looks like. He was dumbfounded. And this was a dentist who (hopefully) went to college! 🤣
I bet he called it Ore-gone, too. 🤣 ;)

vikescaper

How do people in Florida keep their masks on from coming off on thrill rides like Everest or Big Thunder Mountain?
As others have said, I have never had an issue with my mask falling off on fast rides like Rock n Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest and Test Track. I have had more issues with my sunglasses fogging up but that was an issue with finding a better sealing mask.

Californian Elitist

In her defense, I lived in New England through several winters. This is exactly the time of year, mid-March, where you are just dying and thinking "Will Winter never end?!? Am I doomed to frozen slush for all eternity?!"

And then April arrives, and yet... nothing happens. I'm pretty sure T.S. Eliot wrote "April is the cruelest month" after his car spun out on a slushy freeway on-ramp on Boston's I-93 in April. 🤣

But you are right, many folks in New England have very little understanding of California or the West Coast.

That's another fact people get wrong. They don't know the west coast states and sometimes don't realize that coastal states have access oceans. I remember hearing someone refer to Arizona, Wyoming, and a few other states as coastal states on the west and I corrected him.

DrAlice

To be fair... New Yorkers have the same problem. Most of the world equates the entire state with one city. There's a lot of farm land and rural areas in New York!

And honestly, I couldn't tell you about the differences between a Delaware and a New Hampshire if my life depended on it.

Ok, sorry... back on topic.

I'm really curious to see what the ticket prices are going to be and how the reservation process works (or crashes).

ayyylmao

I mean this in the nicest possible way: Could you just.... not?

We FINALLY have some actual Disney news that will allow this board to get back to talking about Disney. It would be great if we could prevent YET ANOTHER thread from devolving into the same political arguments that have been hashed and rehashed to death over the past year. If you'd like to discuss this particular aspect of Disneyland opening news, there is a lovely little politics forum for that specific purpose.

Thanks.
U mad

TP2000

I'm really curious to see what the ticket prices are going to be and how the reservation process works (or crashes).

It's that App based part that scares me. It seems everything will be App-based; your reservation (or lack thereof), your tickets, your rides, your meals. What if I need to visit the mens room? Is there a scheduling App for that too?

This sounds like an IT nightmare just waiting to happen. Not to mention the CM's haven't worked there in over a year.

In 1955 ladies heels got stuck in the fresh pavement, and in 2021 everyone's souls will get stuck in a crashing App.

I'm going to give them at least a few weeks to work out all the bugs and headaches. I'll make myself a springtime evening cocktail and just watch it on YouTube, thanks. :cool:

milordsloth

It's that App based part that scares me. It seems everything will be App-based; your reservation (or lack thereof), your tickets, your rides, your meals. What if I need to visit the mens room? Is there a scheduling App for that too?

This sounds like an IT nightmare just waiting to happen. Not to mention the CM's haven't worked there in over a year.

In 1955 ladies heels got stuck in the fresh pavement, and in 2021 everyone's souls will get stuck in a crashing App.

I'm going to give them at least a few weeks to work out all the bugs and headaches. I'll make myself a springtime evening cocktail and just watch it on YouTube, thanks. :cool:
I think it would be super fun to be a part of the opening day mess! Not the typical type of experience that's for sure, but I still want to be there to experience firsthand.

Darkbeer1

Looks like, based on the OC Register article, that Lisa and I will be having cocktails, on Disney's dime, inside the park in the second half of April......

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm in favor of it.

I love living here. Seems like a nice place, and the weather is perfect.

Of course I'm not planning to go to Disneyland anytime soon so the California Only thing doesn't really impact my ability to visit the parks, as much as it keeps me ... alive.
I LOVED living there too as I grew up there in Garden Grove. And under different circumstances, we'd move back. But after choosing low paying careers that we love, my wife and I knew we had to move somewhere cheaper if we wanted to have kids without living off the system.

Now regarding restrictions to DL opening only to Californians, how do you feel about those (like us) who are fully vaccinated and use masks and social distancing? (Colorado has been highly successful at getting people vaccinated quickly. Thank you, Jesus!)

Darkbeer1

I LOVED living there too as I grew up there in Garden Grove. And under different circumstances, we'd move back. But after choosing low paying careers that we love, my wife and I knew we had to move somewhere cheaper if we wanted to have kids without living off the system.

Now regarding restrictions to DL opening only to Californians, how do you feel about those (like us) who are fully vaccinated and use masks and social distancing? (Colorado has been highly successful at getting people vaccinated quickly. Thank you, Jesus!)

Well, if enough folks donate to the recall effort from out of state, maybe the Governor will change his mind....

StarWarsGirl

Disney will do fine. Complaining will be insane from folks who can’t get in. Grabbing my popcorn now.
I will contribute because Disney did something truly stupid.

We had booked GC 11 months ago because we own there. Who knew that it would still be closed. Today, we called to get it cancelled and asked what we can do with the points.

The answer we got was: too bad, so sad.

We have a call into a supervisor, but now we're scrambling to figure out what to do with those points. Which have to be used by the end of May. At this point it looks like maybe WDW for a few days at Saratoga is the only thing available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom