Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

DrAlice

1616030090850.png

(Especially after a whole year of politics and COVID arguments.)

Curious Constance

From the MiceChat article today for the reopening announcement:
“A concern that has been brought up by cast members who walk to their cars after dark is the increasing aggressiveness of the local transients,” said one source. “The transients have been following some, saying rude things to others, and there have been some close calls where they have threatened cast members.”

, David Koenig Disneyland News: April 30th, What’s the Hold Up?
Boarded up shops, restaurants, and hotels in the area have added to a lowered safety in the area.

Last week, on Monday March 8, just after 8:00 p.m., an adult male transient began “acting bizarrely” and harassing people near the East Shuttle Area (the Harbor bus drop-off roundabout), followed them across the street, and physically attacked the group, which included a Disneyland security guard.

According to Anaheim Police Department Sgt. Shane Carringer, “Police responded, and the subject was detained near the Tropicana motel. He was cited for assault and released.”

Sgt. Carringer said the victims suffered physical pain, but did not sustain any lasting injuries.

Employees say the scariest part of their night-time walk is when they turn off Harbor Boulevard and make their way down the narrow asphalt walkway that runs alongside the Grand Legacy Hotel toward the Pumbaa Parking Lot. Although stronger lighting has been installed, there are shrubs that can serve as shadowy hiding places.”

BayouShack

“A concern that has been brought up by cast members who walk to their cars after dark is the increasing aggressiveness of the local transients,” said one source. “The transients have been following some, saying rude things to others, and there have been some close calls where they have threatened cast members.”

Boarded up shops, restaurants, and hotels in the area have added to a lowered safety in the area.

Last week, on Monday March 8, just after 8:00 p.m., an adult male transient began “acting bizarrely” and harassing people near the East Shuttle Area (the Harbor bus drop-off roundabout), followed them across the street, and physically attacked the group, which included a Disneyland security guard.

According to Anaheim Police Department Sgt. Shane Carringer, “Police responded, and the subject was detained near the Tropicana motel. He was cited for assault and released.”

Sgt. Carringer said the victims suffered physical pain, but did not sustain any lasting injuries.

Employees say the scariest part of their night-time walk is when they turn off Harbor Boulevard and make their way down the narrow asphalt walkway that runs alongside the Grand Legacy Hotel toward the Pumbaa Parking Lot. Although stronger lighting has been installed, there are shrubs that can serve as shadowy hiding places.”

That’s really weird. At 15% capacity, there should be more than enough space in the structures for CMs and guests alike. Can’t understand why they’re using the Manchester lot.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I had multiple experiences like the ones mentioned here when I was a CM.

Curious Constance

Disneyland better do something to provide security for those people (guests and CMs) that have to walk out of the resort to go back to hotels and cars at night.

I just think how scary it would be as a parent having a kid that works there and has to walk back to their car in the dark.

The homeless issue has been something that has really been at the forefront of my mind lately. The last few years it has just exploded it seems. The sheer number of addicted/mentally unstable homeless is staggering. I happen to live in an area of Oregon that is particularly bad, but it’s just mind boggling. We have tent cities all over the place, that literally turn into trash heaps. Mounds and mounds of garbage in our parks, along roads, near shopping centers, everywhere. My kids are anxious about walking anywhere outside of our immediate neighborhood because of it.

Our property crime rate is horrific too. It’s so sad for everyone involved.

Darkbeer1

Disneyland better do something to provide security for those people (guests and CMs) that have to walk out of the resort to go back to hotels and cars at night.

I just think how scary it would be as a parent having a kid that works there and has to walk back to their car in the dark.

The homeless issue has been something that has really been at the forefront of my mind lately. The last few years it has just exploded it seems. The sheer number of addicted/mentally unstable homeless is staggering. I happen to live in an area of Oregon that is particularly bad, but it’s just mind boggling. We have tent cities all over the place, that literally turn into trash heaps. Mounds and mounds of garbage in our parks, along roads, near shopping centers, everywhere. My kids are anxious about walking anywhere outside of our immediate neighborhood because of it.

Our property crime rate is horrific too. It’s so sad for everyone involved.

There are other issues as well.

Fires are a major one due to homeless encampments, large and small.

Gangs feed off the Homeless, both in buying Stolen items, and selling drugs.

George Lucas on a Bench

I never had any issues with bums surrounding DLR when I was a cast member or guest besides the smell, although there was this one panhandler who was frequently on the sidewalk on Harbor side I'd give a smoke to if I went that way. The Harbor side needs a massive overhaul. It isn't just the bums and occasional huge circus elephant sized dumps along the walkways, relatively smallish sidewalks that can't contain all the people leaving after closing, but also the absolutely insane California drivers who seem to aim their vehicles at pedestrians and drive so recklessly it's unbelievable. You shouldn't walk out of Disneyland at Harbor Blvd and suddenly feel like you're in a bad part of town. Those walkways at night can feel like Gotham City where Bruce Wayne's parents took a wrong turn and were shot.

SuddenStorm

I never had any issues with bums surrounding DLR when I was a cast member or guest besides the smell, although there was this one panhandler who was frequently on the sidewalk on Harbor side I'd give a smoke to if I went that way. The Harbor side needs a massive overhaul. It isn't just the bums and occasional huge circus elephant sized dumps along the walkways, relatively smallish sidewalks that can't contain all the people leaving after closing, but also the absolutely insane California drivers who seem to aim their vehicles at pedestrians and drive so recklessly it's unbelievable. You shouldn't walk out of Disneyland at Harbor Blvd and suddenly feel like you're in a bad part of town. Those walkways at night can feel like Gotham City where Bruce Wayne's parents took a wrong turn and were shot.

Yep- growing up we always took the Disneyland Drive exit that feeds directly into Mickey and Friends. Then, the tram directly to the hub. So I never really saw the Harbor side of things.

It wasn't until high school when I would drive down with friends and we'd venture onto Harbor for cheaper food options then what's in the park (I'll never forget the time we were tricked by Captain Kidd's), and was like 'woah this Anaheim place got the Anacrime nickname for a reason'.

Giss Neric

Anyone here know what "new magic" is coming to the Haunted Mansion?

Also, since the stretching room in Disneyland is literally an elevator, it would be interesting how can they work that out with social distancing and stuff.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Yes, character appearances on balconies etc. Similar to what we have seen at WDW.

At Disneyland, guests may see Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse waving from the train station, or Disney Princesses such as Mulan appear at the Royal Theatre to wave and pose at a distance for guests taking selfies. At Disney California Adventure, Pixar pals may wave from the bandshell at Pixar Pier, and guests can share a laugh while taking photos with Mater and Lightning McQueen along Route 66 in Cars Land.
Just GIVE ME MY MARVEL CHARACTERS @ DCA. Please. :)

davis_unoxx

At DL Splash’s animatronics are 20 years older than the purpose built ones at WDW. This combined with CALOSHA rules makes Splash significantly harder to operate logistically.

And politically the California populace and government is also significantly more virtuous in terms of signaling their woke credentials so from a PR perspective the cost-benefit analysis of keeping the attraction running may be a different business decision altogether.

Just look at the esplenade music for reference.
Just wondering what’s up with esplanade music 😂

Figments Friend

Great to hear that the Park is getting back on its feet again after a year off.
Happy for the CMs too, wanting to get back to work.

Looking forward to watching all the excitement, drama, intrigue, and memorable moments to come at the end of April.
I will be watching from afar, freshly popped popcorn in hand.

:)

-

Californian Elitist

I don’t doubt it. My 16 year old got her first job recently at a fast food restaurant. Every day she has stories about them having to call the cops to get someone to leave or someone has said something horrific to her. It’s terrifying as a parent.
Absolutely. When I trained to learn my attractions, my shifts started at 5 in the morning. My mom drove from our home in Los Angeles to my Anaheim apartment to pick me up and drop me off at the park. I lived less than 10 minutes from the park, but my mom was very concerned.

The homeless around the park don’t scare me personally, but I understand the concerns others might have.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's important to note that Chapek, in a recent interview, restated that they will not open a park unless the total income contributes positively to the net operating income. A park opening at 10% won't do that. So, is there danger DL won't open?

Not likely, because Disney chose to open at the *end* of April rather than the allowable beginning of April. By the end of April, there will be enough doses of vaccine produced to cover 78% of the population 16 y.o. and over. Whereas at the beginning of April, only 49% would be covered.

Disney is betting that by the end of April, the L.A. area will move to the least restrictive tier and they can open at 35% if they want (tho, they may start at 25% in the first few weeks to manage crowds and get back in the groove... if they're more smart than greedy).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom