News Disneyland Magic Key Program

waltography

Lots of information to read through on the page. Like the "benefits," that seem oddly familiar and honestly do more (?) to lean into the superiority complex of the old AP program:

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 1.13.53 PM.png

I worry for the reservation availability, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how un-exciting the system is. Part of me thinks they threw a few red herrings out there to disguise the fact that this system is just an expanded Flex Pass all along. Doing their hardest to remove the AP terminology to discourage comparing the old and new system.

Also note that the no-show system they had for the Flex Pass is basically copy-pasted into this new system too:

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 1.33.48 PM.png

Are we going back to the early 2010s when Saturday might be less busy than Sundays and maybe even some weekdays?
I hope so. I usually go weekends with my sibling and that Believe Key is looking very attractive.

mickEblu

That’s why I said all of this was just going to be rebranding. They just can call these things annual passes for obvious reasons. They still want the crowds. We can see that because the parks are crowded now. They just wanted the reservation system to plan accordingly. The flex pass was a pilot year for the future of the AP program. All Covid did was probably make it happen sooner. Also monthly payments are still an option because of course. People that were paying $600 for unlimited access weren’t about to pay pay $2400 up front for a family to get 10% off tickets.

el_super

The million dollar question is how hard reservations are to get. Is it going to become like dining and FP+ in Florida where they fill up the day they become available?

My guess is ... yes. Reservations will go fast. But if people can cancel the day before, will the capacity just go unused or will people fall into a pattern of checking every day whether they can go? Will people organize support groups to trade available days and/or will a whole cottage industry of scalpers develop over getting certain days?

Will we start seeing AP reservations appearing on ebay?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One day it’ll happen. One day you will be right and I’ll be wrong. Lol
I've been right plenty, but that doesn't matter. You weren't right either. This isn't the same AP program renamed. And there is no unlimited option.

Anyways we'll see how this program works over the next couple years, we may get another reworking of this down the line.

mickEblu

This is what things were like even until March 2020.

Was it ? I remember that being the case circa 2014 ish ? When Saturday’s were considerably slower than Sundays due to the way the passes were structured. I don’t think the difference was as noticeable the last few years.

mickEblu

I've been right plenty, but that doesn't matter. You weren't right either. This isn't the same AP program renamed. And there is no unlimited option.

Anyways we'll see how this program works over the next couple years, we may get another reworking of this down the line.

Sore loser as always

Jefro

UPGRADES: A Guest wishing to upgrade to a Pass from another form of eligible Disneyland® Resort theme park admission media must upgrade on the same day in which the original form of theme park admission media is valid, and must choose a Pass of equal or greater value than the retail price of the original theme park admission media when it was purchased. The difference in prices must be paid in full at the time of the upgrade.

From here: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/magic-key-terms-conditions/
Thanks!

CaptinEO

Not crazy about this. No photopass on the high tier and requires reservations for all days. Imagine not being able to go the weekend you want or during christmas time.

DrAlice

As an out-of-towner that will never own a pass, I'm just happy to see all the summer block-out dates. It means that I don't have to worry as much about a reservation not being available when I want to go on vacation. At least, I hope that's what it means.

Now.... let's see what happens to fastpass/maxpass.

CaptinEO

Was it ? I remember that being the case circa 2014 ish ? When Saturday’s were considerably slower than Sundays due to the way the passes were structured. I don’t think the difference was as noticeable the last few years.
Absolutely. Whenever the SoCal pass was around Sundays were miserable.

Saturdays were for Signature/Signature Plus and sometimes Deluxe, and in 2019 Flex. The SoCal and SoCal Select days were always a nightmare.

Saturdays were always lighter than weekdays. Weekdays were always a mess.

choco choco

If I'm a vlogger, don't I only want the lowest (Imagine) tier. I go to the park five days a week and log, as per my "job" and take the weekends off.

Most economical right? Is anyone clamoring for logged content on the weekends?

el_super

If I'm a vlogger, don't I only want the lowest (Imagine) tier. I go to the park five days a week and log, as per my "job" and take the weekends off.

Most economical right? Is anyone clamoring for logged content on the weekends?

Well realistically the weekdays will be the easiest reservations to get, and certainly a couple weekday trips per month could generate enough content for weekend videos as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So, what happens to Legacy Passholders that haven't been refunded yet (if there are any - probably, right?). Do they get to use it as a credit to one of these?
Disneyland…they cancelled it over a year ago…how many are left at this point?
So

Imagine- never going to Disneyland in the summer, any holiday, or weekend.
Enchant- drains your wallet a little bit more to get a few weekends more than you could imagine.
Believe - you'll never see Christmas or Thanksgiving but you will see Summer and a lot of weekends.
Dream - Dream that this never happened, this is not the price increase you were looking for.
What did you think they were gonna do? They wanted to clear the weekends/mobs for more day visitors…but still offer options to get some, most or all the year to pass holders paying certain amounts.

it may not be good but isn’t the worst case

that would have been a pay as you go “discount” program for some monthly or annual fee. That was the H bomb to the whole ticket scenario.

now…If they start rocking ride fees it may suck more.
Eh, not what I expected, but its ok. Could have been worse, could have been better.

I predict the complaints of crowding due to low priced/monthly payment APs will continue....
Fair

CaptinEO

j
Well realistically the weekdays will be the easiest reservations to get, and certainly a couple weekday trips per month could generate enough content for weekend videos as well.
Are they though? Been a passholder since 2012 and weekdays where the lower passes werent blocked out out were the busiest days period with the exception of christmas break.

How many people will scoop up the low end passes only to find they have trouble getting any reservations?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom