Disneyland in Summer 2012

MDAY

Disneyland is so amazing!!! We went five years ago after thinking WDW was the end all be all to vacations. Boy were we wrong! We haven't been back to WDW since. California has it all. Weather, national parks, big cities, and the gorgeous pacific ocean.

You can really feel Walt's presence all over the park. The best things are the small things (storybook canal boats, casey jr, all of fantasyland, golden horseshoe, Aladdin stage show, Remember Dreams Come True Fireworks blows away Wishes, Fantasmic! blows away DHS, and World of Color is so much fun. You've got to ride the Lilly Belle train car (walt dedicated it to his wife). Definitely go on a weekend so you can see the Big Bands play near the castle and they all swing dance or the rock bands play in tomorrowland. Downtown Disney also has live musicians play all over on the weekends. It is so much fun. Smaller? Yes. Great? Yes. I don't miss the busses or all the walking at all.

If you have time you should visit San Diego and the Hotel Del Coronado (where Grand Floridian got its idea from), or Yosemite NAtional PArk which is a bucket list place you HAVE to see! or drive HWY 1 up to Monterey. All just so incredible.

Disneyland has stolen my heart and my wallet. See you all in the summer of 2012.

DTM93

I don't think there is a dining plan at DL, but dining in general is bit of a different animal. There aren't as many TS restaurants, and the counter service dining plan isn't really a great moneysaver at WDW. No big loss.

There IS a dining plan at DLR but it isn't really advertised that much.
Now I honestly couldn't give you information on price just for the fact that I'm from the UK so the DDP saved us money with the exchange rate but I don't know if it would save Americans money.
It's basically vouchers that you use and they can be worth for example, a snack or a premium character meal but you could also use them as if they were money for example if you bought something that was $15 you could use three snack vouchers as a snack voucher is worth $5 each, I am so sorry if that didn't sound very good as I am terrible at explaining.
Basically we loved it because we got to eat in lovely places such as Goofy's Kitchen (which is absolutely amazing) and also in the Trattoria in DCA and it was incredible and we also used it in a Character Breakfast with Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn and it was definitely worth it for us!
Anyway on to the thread, I remember going to Disneyland California in October 2010 and we were there for my seventeenth birthday and it was definitely my favourite Disney resort. I loved how closely everything together was because as much as WDW was great it was a pain with having to drive from park to park and it was annoying at times. I also have to agree and I definitely think that it does have a feeling of nostalgia and as someone pointed out 'Walt's presence' is definitely there. I also like how close the off property resorts are because with the price of transatlantic flights and everything rising in the UK Disney's hotels can be too expensive and it's great how you can see the parks through the hotel window even though I did have a hard time adjusting to that. I also loved the main park and that's my favourite park, I love the theming and the amount of attractions and the Fantasyland there I think is the best one I've seen. Oh and a tip, whatever you do don't lose any of the people you're there with or you'll forget the 'no running' theme and get screamed at by a CM. :lookaroun :lol:

Cosmic Commando

Interesting! I did not know of a DL dining plan. I haven't had the pleasure of doing Goofy's Kitchen, but I have heard good things. It might be part of the stereotype that everyone in LA is an actor waiting for their big break, but there are at least anecdotal reports that the friends of the characters, the parades and the stage shows are better than their counterparts in WDW. I swear, if the castle wasn't so darn small, I could eat the extra airfare and make DL my "home" resort.

Skipper03

So we are huge Disney Freaks (family and I), and we've been to WDW many times.. and love it..

A year ago.. the wife and I decided that if we could afford it.. we would make the trek to Disneyland to see where it all started.

Here is what I've heard:

1. We will be very disappointed, it is No where Near as big or as much fun as WDW.
2. Although it is not the same in size or scope, you will really "feel" Walt's presence.
3. You can do both parks in one day if you know what you are doing.
4. You can easily walk to throughout the entire area (both parks) with no bus transportation needed.
5. They have no Dining plan.

So I have quite some time to do my homework..

First question:

1. How many "new rides" will be up and running when we get there (probably some time in late May 2012)?

I welcome and would appreciate any feedback and info any of you Disneyland Vets can provide...

Coach

I was just at DL on March 27... I have to say that World of Color was the best Disney night-time show I have ever seen... just amazing!! Be sure to get your fast pass for the show because crowds are turned away some nights.

After my 2nd trip to DL and 18 trips to WDW, I've decided it's just hard to compare because they are in no way on the same scale, but it's still all the magic of Disney. DL is just different than what we are used to as regular WDW guests.

Must Do's (mainly because it can't be done in Florida)
1. Indiana Jones!
2. Matterhorn (More exciting in theory, but a classic)
3. World of Color
4. Silly Symphony Swings, so chessey but so fun!
5. Really everything - Space, Pirates, Haunted Mansion are all so similar but different at the same time, hard to explain... but I love it all!

Call me a sinner for not staying on property, but at DL is SO much cheaper to stay across the street at Best Western or whatever and literally walk 5 minutes to the gates. Now WDW, we're on property everytime... but the little hotels at DL are closer than walking from the Contemporary to MK front gate!

Coach81

Original Poster
Great info everyone!!! Going to look into the "vouchers" at DL...

We will be using our DVC and staying at the Grand California (so excited)..

Thanks again for all the DL insight.. keep the info coming!!!

Coach81

Original Poster
Perfect Day at Disney Land

Anyone??? Any Disney Land Vets out there can give me their suggestions for a perfect day's plan for Disney Land???

Wilt Dasney

Coach...a friendly suggestion. It sounds like you're in the mood for some serious wall-to-wall DL discussion with hard-core veterans of the park. Our DL board here (as you can see) just is not that active. We probably only have a handful of posters who make it to the park regularly and post about it. (I've only been on one trip, and have learned a lot since then online.)

Have you ever checked out the forums at Micechat.com? That is the place to go if you're craving nonstop DL talk. (So much, and with such a wide range of opinions, that you might get sick of it!)

I'm certainly not trying to run you off, and I hope you get more feedback here, but I just have the feeling you're craving more intense and consistent feedback than these boards are likely to give you. Good luck with your trip planning!

nerdboyrockstar

Anyone??? Any Disney Land Vets out there can give me their suggestions for a perfect day's plan for Disney Land???

I'm with Wilt on this one too.. but I think I recognize your name from another forum I frequent so I'll try to help.

Definitely get to the park at rope drop. If you're staying at a Disney resort hotel or have a multi-day ticket with Morning Madness, definitely utilize that to get Fantasyland out of the way first.

You'll want to hit Peter Pan/Mr. Toad's Wild Ride/Pinocchio/Snow White/Alice in Wonderland and anything else your family might want to hit out of the way first before you have to make big lines for these typically short rides.

From here, there's a few ways you can go. I'd probably do Matterhorn and then head to Tomorrowland for Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear. Star Tours 2 will be a must-do when you go so you might want to pick up a Fast Pass for that before heading to Space.

After Tomorrowland is done, you can cross over to Adventureland and hit up Indiana Jones Adventure or New Orleans Square for Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion.

Critter Country is this way for a ride on Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh too, and Big Thunder isn't too far away. Don't forget Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin in Toontown either. (I'M EXHAUSTED!)

Some attractions I like to save for the evening are Jungle Cruise, It's a Small World (especially during the holidays), Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage, and night-time rides on the Matterhorn.

Coach81

Original Poster
Coach...a friendly suggestion. It sounds like you're in the mood for some serious wall-to-wall DL discussion with hard-core veterans of the park. Our DL board here (as you can see) just is not that active. We probably only have a handful of posters who make it to the park regularly and post about it. (I've only been on one trip, and have learned a lot since then online.)

Have you ever checked out the forums at Micechat.com? That is the place to go if you're craving nonstop DL talk. (So much, and with such a wide range of opinions, that you might get sick of it!)

I'm certainly not trying to run you off, and I hope you get more feedback here, but I just have the feeling you're craving more intense and consistent feedback than these boards are likely to give you. Good luck with your trip planning!

Yes.. I am craving it!!! :p

Thanks.. I will check out the micechat!!!

I'm with Wilt on this one too.. but I think I recognize your name from another forum I frequent so I'll try to help.

Definitely get to the park at rope drop. If you're staying at a Disney resort hotel or have a multi-day ticket with Morning Madness, definitely utilize that to get Fantasyland out of the way first.

You'll want to hit Peter Pan/Mr. Toad's Wild Ride/Pinocchio/Snow White/Alice in Wonderland and anything else your family might want to hit out of the way first before you have to make big lines for these typically short rides.

From here, there's a few ways you can go. I'd probably do Matterhorn and then head to Tomorrowland for Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear. Star Tours 2 will be a must-do when you go so you might want to pick up a Fast Pass for that before heading to Space.

After Tomorrowland is done, you can cross over to Adventureland and hit up Indiana Jones Adventure or New Orleans Square for Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion.

Critter Country is this way for a ride on Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh too, and Big Thunder isn't too far away. Don't forget Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin in Toontown either. (I'M EXHAUSTED!)

Some attractions I like to save for the evening are Jungle Cruise, It's a Small World (especially during the holidays), Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage, and night-time rides on the Matterhorn.

Thanks so much for your input. Looks like a solid plan!!! So you don't suggest heading to the "big rides" first?? Normally that is what we do at WDW.. Fastpasses for Everest, TSM, etc.. you don't think this should be the plan at DL??

Mukta

So.. if you had the chance.. how would you plan the "perfect day" at Disney Land???

If you are only there for one day, be there at rope drop. Have one member of the family head to TL and get fastpasses for Space Mountain.
Go to Adventureland and ride Indy, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, HM, Splash and Pooh.
Come back to FL and ride Big Thunder. Eat lunch.
Enjoy the Tiki Room when it is hot outside. 20 minutes of AC.
Go to Fantasyland and ride the unique rides. Skip dumbo and teacups.
Ride IASW and visit Mickey's toontown. FP Roger Rabbit if the line is more than 20. Visit Mickey's house and take a pic with him.
Go to TL and ride Space, see EO. FP Buzz if the line is longer than 20.
Get food and sit in front of the castle and eat. This will hold a prime spot for fireworks.
See nighttime shows and ride the subs 30 minutes before closing.

If you have a few days, it will be much better for you. The beauty of DL is in the details.

Coach81

Original Poster
If you are only there for one day, be there at rope drop. Have one member of the family head to TL and get fastpasses for Space Mountain.
Go to Adventureland and ride Indy, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, HM, Splash and Pooh.
Come back to FL and ride Big Thunder. Eat lunch.
Enjoy the Tiki Room when it is hot outside. 20 minutes of AC.
Go to Fantasyland and ride the unique rides. Skip dumbo and teacups.
Ride IASW and visit Mickey's toontown. FP Roger Rabbit if the line is more than 20. Visit Mickey's house and take a pic with him.
Go to TL and ride Space, see EO. FP Buzz if the line is longer than 20.
Get food and sit in front of the castle and eat. This will hold a prime spot for fireworks.
See nighttime shows and ride the subs 30 minutes before closing.

If you have a few days, it will be much better for you. The beauty of DL is in the details.

Excellent looking day Mukta!!! I like it!!!

Thankfully we will have several days, and your comment about the "Details" is the main reason I want to visit DL. I've heard it is not as "rushed" as WDW as it is a great deal smaller.. so we are looking to really enjoy the park for a few days.. thanks so much for your perfect day!!!

CLandrum

I am glad I found this thread. We will be going the first 2 weeks on June next year. I had been to WDW 6 times and decided to give Disneyland a shot. We are also seeing my dad's family while out there. We plan on hitting Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon on our way back. I will have to give Micechat a look.

becanya

Fantastic questions! As a native SoCal'er and regular Disneyland visitor, and occasional WDW visitor, here's a listing of attractions unique to Disneyland (and DCA) that you won't find anywhere on WDW property in May, 2012...

Disneyland Unique Attractions
  1. Disneyland Story featuring Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
  2. Disneyland Railroad thru Grand Canyon Diorama and Fantastic Primeval World
  3. Main Street Cinema
  4. Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (original 1963 show rumored to be coming to WDW in '11)
  5. Indiana Jones Adventure (widely considered to be best E Ticket in American parks)
  6. Tarzan's Treehouse (the Robinson's moved out back in '99)
  7. Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island (the pirates moved in back in '07 with lots of neat special effects)
  8. Sailing Ship Columbia
  9. Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
  10. Big Thunder Ranch Petting Farm
  11. Pinnochio's Daring Journey
  12. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  13. Casey Jr. Circus Train
  14. Storybookland Canal Boats
  15. Matterhorn Bobsleds
  16. Snow White's Scary Adventures (to be closed in WDW by '12)
  17. Alice In Wonderland
  18. Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Diorama
  19. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
  20. Mickey's House and Meet Mickey Movie Barn
  21. Minnie's House and Meet Minnie
  22. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
  23. Disneyland Monorail (more a ride than legit transportation)

DCA Unique Attractions
  1. Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue! (dark ride with very long name)
  2. Hyperion Theatre Alladin Show (widely considered best stage show in American parks)
  3. Disney Animation (several exhibits/shows inside)
  4. Red Car Trolley
  5. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
  6. Flik's Flyers
  7. Tuck N' Rolls Drive 'Em Buggies
  8. Francis' Lady Bug Boogie
  9. California Screamin'
  10. Mickey's Fun Wheel (stationary gondolas are tame and have great views!)
  11. Silly Symphony Swings
  12. Golden Zephyr
  13. Jumpin' Jellyfish
  14. Goofy's Sky School
  15. Little Mermaid Ariels Undersea Adventure
  16. Grizzly River Run (twice as long and more thrilling than Kali at DAK)
  17. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (DCA's Tom Sawyer Island)
  18. and if you are lucky with soft openings...
  19. Radiator Springs Racers (rumored to give Indiana Jones a run for its top dog status)
  20. Luigi's Flying Tires
  21. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

Noticing a trend here? Yeah, the Anaheim parks are packed full of rides and attractions; much more than any WDW park, and Disneyland alone contains as many rides as two or three WDW parks combined. In 2012 when Cars Land opens, the Disneyland Resort's two theme parks will have just as many attractions as WDW's four parks combined. Not all of those rides listed above are major attractions, many are smaller spinning rides or theater presentations. But there are several big-budget epic E Tickets that are missing from WDW, like Submarine Voyage, Matterhorn, Indy, Radiator Springs Racers, etc. Not to mention a heck of a lot of smaller dark rides like Alice In Wonderland, Pinnochio, Mr. Toad's, Monsters Inc., Roger Rabbitt, etc.

And when it's time for you to experience Disneyland's more active and better themed Rivers of America section, I strongly recommend you travel it on a unique boat like the Sailing Ship Columbia or the Explorer Canoes.

Canoe%2001.jpg

As for rides that exist at both Disneyland Resort and WDW but that are noticeably different in Anaheim, here's that list;

1. Pirates of the Caribbean (see the missing 8 minutes of ride time that was cut from the WDW version)
  2. Haunted Mansion
  3. Peter Pan's Flight (far better technology and upkeep)
  4. Space Mountain
  5. Autopia
  6. it's a small world (another one with an extra 7 minutes of ride time)
  7. Star Tours (different queue and pre-show)
  8. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (several minutes longer with different sets)
  9. The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh (better exterior in Disneyland, better interior in WDW)
  10. Tower of Terror (Many East Coasters miss the Third Dimension room, but I've always found that scene to be a tad hokey and unconvincing. See what you think in DCA!)
In addition, there's Splash Mountain, which I feel is about the only ride that is noticeably inferior to the WDW version. At Disneyland the logs are smaller and have narrow in-line seating, which I find to be more fun than the bigger side-by-side logs at WDW. But, the ride at Disneyland moves much faster and you fly through all the animatronic scenes. I honesly had no idea that Splash Mountain had a plotline or was trying to tell a story until I went on the WDW version in the mid 1990's. :lol: The drop is the same, and is lots of fun, but the storytelling and interior animatronic scenes are much better at WDW. Except for Splash Mountain, I think almost every other Disneyland Resort ride is just as good or noticeably better/longer than the WDW version.

The following Disneyland Resort attractions are nearly identical to the WDW versions as the same basic concept, and only differ in their queues and exteriors or physical appearance;

1. MuppetVision 3D
  2. It's Tough To Be A Bug
  3. Captain EO
  4. Astro Orbiter
  5. Main Street Vehicles
  6. Mark Twain Riverboat
  7. Frontierland Shooting Gallery
  8. Big Thunder Mountain
  9. Teacups
  10. Dumbo
  11. Carousels (one each in Disneyland and DCA)
  12. Soarin' Over California
  13. Disney Junior Live On Stage
  14. Innoventions
  15. Pixie Hollow
  16. Gadget's Go Coaster (AKA Goofy's Barnstormer)
So, you've got some research to do! Figure out which unique and noticeably different Disneyland Resort attractions interest you the most, and make sure you slot them in to your touring plans. Again, Anaheim's two parks are packed full of rides, shows and attractions, and there's no way you'll be able to see and do it all in just a few days. You'll need to categorize the rides and shows you most want to see, and plan accordingly. The basic online hunch is that Cars Land will be in soft openings by late May of '12, so there's also that to consider. Good luck!

Holy cow, that is an amazingly complete list! We are taking a trip in April...that is so helpful. Thanks!

Coach81

Original Poster
Sadly... wife and kids now want to do a "family" trip back to WDW.. not sure if I can really say "sadly"... but I was looking forward to this trip.. oh well.. perhaps someday...

Thanks to everyone for your help and input...

Look for us next summer at WDW again!!!

Travelguy31

Disneyland 2012

2012 must be the year of Disneyland! I have my trip booked and almost paid for for February 2012.:sohappy: I also have been hearing of other WDW vets planning DL trips for next year. With all of the activity going on at DLR, I believe it has created a buzz in the fan community.

fractal

TP2000 - thanks for that great post!

Looks like I may be joining the list of 2012 DLR visitor. I'll know for sure by February.

Really would love to go - I want to see Indiana Jones especially. If I do go it will be in late July which means we'll have a good chance of seeing Carsland.

sweetpee_1993

TP2000 - thanks for that great post!

Looks like I may be joining the list of 2012 DLR visitor. I'll know for sure by February.

Really would love to go - I want to see Indiana Jones especially. If I do go it will be in late July which means we'll have a good chance of seeing Carsland.

Me three! I'm soooo itching to see DL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom