Disneyland in Summer 2012

TP2000

Saw a miniature of a big wooden-looking roller coaster in "One Man's Dream" this past trip to WDW.. is that what we will be seeing at DL?

That was a model of Paradise Pier that was featured in one of the first exhibits in the Blue Sky Cellar back in '08. They change out the exhibits in the Blue Sky Cellar about every 9 months, and for some reason they sent that model on to WDW in 2010 where it makes much less sense but fills up floor space. :confused:

The real thing is the Paradise Pier section of DCA. The big coaster is California Screamin', and it's excellent; one of Disney's best coasters. Toy Story Midway Mania is along the boardwalk midway of Paradise Pier, where the name of the attraction fits thematically to the land it's in. :cool:

Paradise Pier at night
4239663963_2e3afca7b6_z.jpg

Coach81

Original Poster
I think what you're talking about is the model of California Screamin'. It's a long fun roller coaster at the California Adventure park.

I plan on taking a trip out there again this summer to experience all the changes going on at DCA...especially looking forward to Little Mermaid...and Star Tours II at DL.
Totally plan on heading back in 2012 for Cars Land too!
The Disneyland Resort is really getting the love. So worth going there over WDW for me right now.

That was a model of Paradise Pier that was featured in one of the first exhibits in the Blue Sky Cellar back in '08. They change out the exhibits in the Blue Sky Cellar about every 9 months, and for some reason they sent that model on to WDW in 2010 where it makes much less sense but fills up floor space. :confused:

The real thing is the Paradise Pier section of DCA. The big coaster is California Screamin', and it's excellent; one of Disney's best coasters. Toy Story Midway Mania is along the boardwalk midway of Paradise Pier, where the name of the attraction fits thematically to the land it's in. :cool:

Paradise Pier at night
4239663963_2e3afca7b6_z.jpg

Very NICE!!! I only hope "screamin'" isn't rough on the body like some of the other wooden coasters I have riden have been. Road a few in Six Flags, and I swore never again.. I was physcially beat up by it!!!

Coach81

Original Poster
Next Topic for Research- Dining at DL

So I know you have the "dining plan" which is excellent at WDW.. Do they have anything at all like it at DL?

Nicole220

Very NICE!!! I only hope "screamin'" isn't rough on the body like some of the other wooden coasters I have riden have been. Road a few in Six Flags, and I swore never again.. I was physcially beat up by it!!!
It's not a real wooden coaster. The wooden coaster look of it is part of the theming on the pier. Screamin' is your standard steel roller coaster.

Cosmic Commando

I didn't want to quote the whole thing, but that was an amazing post TP2000 about what to expect at Disneyland/DCA. My only nitpick is that the Astro Orbiter at WDW is better because DL's is awkwardly plunked down at ground level at the entrance to Tomorrowland.

I'm sure you will love Disneyland! I'm planning a Carsland trip myself. There are little touches all around: separate stores on Main St., a candy-making window, an actual attraction in the castle, etc. You will probably notice the rides are in a little better shape than at WDW. I noticed the excellent sound quality on POTC and IASW.

TP2000

My only nitpick is that the Astro Orbiter at WDW is better because DL's is awkwardly plunked down at ground level at the entrance to Tomorrowland....

I noticed the excellent sound quality on POTC and IASW.

Ooh, great point about Astro Orbiter! I agree, the elevated version at WDW makes it the superior ride. I wish they'd fix that mistake at Disneyland already! It's been almost 15 years.

Funny you mention the sound quality, and overall maintenance. I notice that a lot when I visit WDW after having visited Disneyland so regularly. Nothing compares with the vast superiority of Tokyo's maintenance, but at Disneyland the animatronics are noticeably smoother, the little effects are noticeably present and working, and the lighting and audio is always great. Not so at WDW.

I was chatting with a couple from Ohio in line at Disneyland recently. The wife is a music professor at a college there, the husband sells commercial audio equipment, they visit WDW regularly, and this was their first trip to Disneyland. They just went on and on about the audio quality of the rides and theaters at Disneyland, and the husband in particular said that Disneyland has quite clearly invested in much more expensive and cutting edge equipment than the similar WDW attractions.

It was fascinating to talk with these people who know a lot about the audio industry and the way sound is supposed to, well, sound. I'd always noticed the difference in audio quality between WDW and Disneyland, but they really helped explain it and confirmed that there was a major difference in the way the two properties update and maintain their facilities.

Isn't it funny that two properties run by the same company could be so different when it comes to upkeep and maintenance??? :confused:

Cosmic Commando

Yes, "funny". :)

It is actually nice to hear some confirmation from people who would know what they are talking about. At DLR, the movie score is just soaring as you go by the Wicked Wench (is it the Black Pearl now?) and into the town. I felt like there were more cannonball splashes in the water and there were air cannons shooting puffs of air at the boats to make it feel like a cannonball just missed you. I'm not sure I've ever felt this effect at WDW, and the music is distant and almost too quiet. I think I remember Al Lutz saying that DL replaced all audio equipment during the Jack Sparrow refurb and WDW did something less.

I'm not sure about the quality of the audio equipment in IASW, but the WDW's flooded look is also working against it. All that water just seems like it would be bad for the acoustics. I do think it looks better, so who knows what the right way to go there is.

The DLR had its dark days, too. I never experienced it before '07, but I understand it was pretty grim for a while. Fortunately, I don't even think we're in the "dark" days of WDW. Things for the most part are kept up; there are some positive changes along with some negative ones. We're kinda in a holding pattern at WDW, waiting for our Matt Ouimet.

Cosmic Commando

So I know you have the "dining plan" which is excellent at WDW.. Do they have anything at all like it at DL?
I don't think there is a dining plan at DL, but dining in general is bit of a different animal. There aren't as many TS restaurants, and the counter service dining plan isn't really a great moneysaver at WDW. No big loss.

draybook

We'll be out there too from late July through 4th of July week. By then it will have been 20 years since I've been out to CA but I grew up going to DL. Plus it's a trip to see my two half-sisters and half-brother and to meet each others children. I haven't seen them all since I was 14.

Coach81

Original Poster
Ooh, great point about Astro Orbiter! I agree, the elevated version at WDW makes it the superior ride. I wish they'd fix that mistake at Disneyland already! It's been almost 15 years.

Funny you mention the sound quality, and overall maintenance. I notice that a lot when I visit WDW after having visited Disneyland so regularly. Nothing compares with the vast superiority of Tokyo's maintenance, but at Disneyland the animatronics are noticeably smoother, the little effects are noticeably present and working, and the lighting and audio is always great. Not so at WDW.

I was chatting with a couple from Ohio in line at Disneyland recently. The wife is a music professor at a college there, the husband sells commercial audio equipment, they visit WDW regularly, and this was their first trip to Disneyland. They just went on and on about the audio quality of the rides and theaters at Disneyland, and the husband in particular said that Disneyland has quite clearly invested in much more expensive and cutting edge equipment than the similar WDW attractions.

It was fascinating to talk with these people who know a lot about the audio industry and the way sound is supposed to, well, sound. I'd always noticed the difference in audio quality between WDW and Disneyland, but they really helped explain it and confirmed that there was a major difference in the way the two properties update and maintain their facilities.

Isn't it funny that two properties run by the same company could be so different when it comes to upkeep and maintenance??? :confused:

Thanks for that info.. I can't wait to "listen up" on all the rides!!!

Yes, "funny". :)

It is actually nice to hear some confirmation from people who would know what they are talking about. At DLR, the movie score is just soaring as you go by the Wicked Wench (is it the Black Pearl now?) and into the town. I felt like there were more cannonball splashes in the water and there were air cannons shooting puffs of air at the boats to make it feel like a cannonball just missed you. I'm not sure I've ever felt this effect at WDW, and the music is distant and almost too quiet. I think I remember Al Lutz saying that DL replaced all audio equipment during the Jack Sparrow refurb and WDW did something less.

I'm not sure about the quality of the audio equipment in IASW, but the WDW's flooded look is also working against it. All that water just seems like it would be bad for the acoustics. I do think it looks better, so who knows what the right way to go there is.

The DLR had its dark days, too. I never experienced it before '07, but I understand it was pretty grim for a while. Fortunately, I don't even think we're in the "dark" days of WDW. Things for the most part are kept up; there are some positive changes along with some negative ones. We're kinda in a holding pattern at WDW, waiting for our Matt Ouimet.

Great input on the Pirates sound and effects.. can't wait to be "mister know-it-all" for my family come May 2012!!!

Who is Matt Ouimet??

I don't think there is a dining plan at DL, but dining in general is bit of a different animal. There aren't as many TS restaurants, and the counter service dining plan isn't really a great moneysaver at WDW. No big loss.

IC so really not that much of a difference in overall food cost you think?

So what are the "must dos" as far as eating at DL??? Where do we just HAVE TO EAT?

TP2000

Who is Matt Ouimet??

Matt Ouimet was the President of Disneyland from 2003 to 2006. He brought Disneyland out of its Dark Ages from the Paul Pressler era, massively refurbished the entire park so it was sparkling and fresh by the 50th in '05, set up an annual maintenance program to keep it that way, and generally was an all-around great guy. He left Disney in '06, and the rumors were he didn't get along with Jay Rasulo as Parks Chairman. Rasulo has since been replaced by Tom Staggs as Parks Chairman, who is liked much more than Rasulo.

Don't bother trying to impress your family with this useless info, it won't get you anywhere outside of geeky message boards. Best to try to impress them with info about the soaring audio in Pirates of the Caribbean. :lol:

Cosmic Commando

Great input on the Pirates sound and effects.. can't wait to be "mister know-it-all" for my family come May 2012!!!

IC so really not that much of a difference in overall food cost you think?

So what are the "must dos" as far as eating at DL??? Where do we just HAVE TO EAT?

If you really want to be a know-it-all, tell them that the castle was supposed to face the other way, but Walt turned around the model and thought it looked better that way. :king: You can get a copy of the Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland pretty cheap used; it might be a good way to get excited for your trip and acquaint yourself with some of the differences.

Food is expensive, but I think the prices are pretty comparable to WDW. Theme park prices are theme park prices. One interesting trend in the last six months or so: they are really ramping up unique and even THEMED food offerings at the counter service restaurants that have recently been refurbed. The Village Haus is in Fantasyland that German/Alpine/ski chalet theme; they have chicken sausage in a pretzel roll, a pastrami burger, and apple strudel for dessert. The Hungry Bear (think DL's functional equivalent to Pecos Bill's) is in Critter Country with the backwoods outdoorsy theme. They have mini blueberry pies and cupcakes with chocolate bees on top (Pooh is in Critter Country). I think it's safe to say that this is an attempt to get stingy APs to open up their wallets... hopefully it works so we see more like this!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/03/hungry-bear-re-opens-with-delicious-new-menu/

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/01/try-the-tasty-new-menu-at-the-village-haus/

Coach81

Original Poster
You HAVE to eat at the Blue Bayou, the restaurant inside Pirates of the Caribbean.

Ok.. sounds good.. anything special to eat there???

If you really want to be a know-it-all, tell them that the castle was supposed to face the other way, but Walt turned around the model and thought it looked better that way. :king: You can get a copy of the Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland pretty cheap used; it might be a good way to get excited for your trip and acquaint yourself with some of the differences.

Food is expensive, but I think the prices are pretty comparable to WDW. Theme park prices are theme park prices. One interesting trend in the last six months or so: they are really ramping up unique and even THEMED food offerings at the counter service restaurants that have recently been refurbed. The Village Haus is in Fantasyland that German/Alpine/ski chalet theme; they have chicken sausage in a pretzel roll, a pastrami burger, and apple strudel for dessert. The Hungry Bear (think DL's functional equivalent to Pecos Bill's) is in Critter Country with the backwoods outdoorsy theme. They have mini blueberry pies and cupcakes with chocolate bees on top (Pooh is in Critter Country). I think it's safe to say that this is an attempt to get stingy APs to open up their wallets... hopefully it works so we see more like this!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/03/hungry-bear-re-opens-with-delicious-new-menu/

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/01/try-the-tasty-new-menu-at-the-village-haus/

Agree.. it's not like you are going to be able to eat "cheap" at a theme park anyway :rolleyes:

Thanks for the wonderful food info.. anyone else have some places or specific food that we have to try???

maelstrom

I just spend two weeks at Disneyland in September and wasn't bored once. However, I'm pretty extreme. I went for three days the year before and it wasn't enough time to really soak it in. I say five days minimum.

You definitely need to go to Disneyland expecting it to be different, and decide you are going to enjoy it, if you are a WDW regular.

The two must do's I'd recomend (after reading TP2000's list) is Peter Pan's Flight and the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes. Peter Pan just seems to be a completely different ride experience than at WDW or Tokyo. And everyone should go on the canoes.

Don't forget the Firework shows and Fantasmic! they aren't like anything in WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom