Disneyland considering building new hotels in Garden Grove

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
World of Avatar, the FLE, Expedition Everest, Mission Space, Pop Century Resort, Art of Animation Resort, and Disney Springs are not timeshares.

Art of animation was pop century...and I’m talking hotels.

Are you saying Disneyland needed that stuff? You just don’t have the room...nothing is gonna change that.

D

Deleted member 107043

Art of animation was pop century...and I’m talking hotels.

Are you saying Disneyland needed that stuff? You just don’t have the room...nothing is gonna change that.

I’m talking ALL development.

And there is room, certainly enough to do more than they’ve done since 2001. There are also aging areas inside the parks like Toontown and Tomorrowland that are beyond their useful lifespans. The point I’m making is that Disney has not been as aggressive about investing in Southern California as it could have been, yet it wants everyone to believe that its suddenly prepared to start developing in a neighboring city.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m talking ALL development.

And there is room, certainly enough to do more than they’ve done since 2001. There are also aging areas inside the parks like Toontown and Tomorrowland that are beyond their useful lifespans. The point I’m making is that Disney has not been as aggressive about investing in Southern California as it could have been, yet it wants everyone to believe that its suddenly prepared to start developing in a neighboring city.

Ummmm...the complete regut or DCA is a heck of a lot more than what WDW got from 2001-2012...and WDW should always get more...it’s bigger, handles lots more people and makes a lot more money...

It’s dollars more than anything.

But I do get your frustration and the situation in Anaheim not being ideal. If they double the prices in a short period of time, then you should get lots of new stuff.

At least you get the Star Wars stuff first...that rally annoyed me a couple years ago when I still cared 😉

D

Deleted member 107043

But I do get your frustration and the situation in Anaheim not being ideal. If they double the prices in a short period of time, then you should get lots of new stuff

I'm skeptical. Disney P&R's attention is clearly focused on every resort in its portfolio right now except DLR, which makes their intimidation tactics in Anaheim so laughable.

At least you get the Star Wars stuff first...that rally annoyed me a couple years ago when I still cared 😉

Yet WDW's SW:GE, complete with a cutting edge SW Hotel, will open just a few months later, so in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters that DLR's comes first.

Also, for the record, I'm a California resident, but I don't ascribe to the notion of "ours" and "theirs" when it comes to Disney resorts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm skeptical. Disney P&R's attention is clearly focused on every resort in its portfolio right now except DLR, which makes their intimidation tactics in Anaheim so laughable.

Yet WDW's SW:GE, complete with a cutting edge SW Hotel, will open just a few months later, so in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters that DLR's comes first.

Also, for the record, I'm a California resident, but I don't ascribe to the notion of "ours" and "theirs" when it comes to Disney resorts.

Disneyland got most of the stateside capex for about a decade...WDW started to lose some share to the universal in Orlando and that is bad...so WDW does need it.

Practically speaking...I’m in Orlando in 2 hours Flat often...and I used to work there...

You can undoubtedly get to anaheim often...which I cannot.

D

Deleted member 107043

Disneyland got most of the stateside capex for about a decade...WDW started to lose some share to the universal in Orlando and that is bad...so WDW does need it.

Practically speaking...I’m in Orlando in 2 hours Flat often...and I used to work there...

You can undoubtedly get to anaheim often...which I cannot.

What does any of that have to do with what's happening at P&R NOW and Disney's announcement, which is the topic of this conversation, that it will look to Garden Grove if Anaheim doesn't bend to its will?

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Mouseketeer

Disneyland is tapped out...more or less...

But they’ve kinda known this for 20 years, have they not?
The overall outlook for TWDC in many ways reminds me of a plaque on my fourth grade teachers Wall - pre Internet - and it goes like this:

“Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part”

...as successful as they are, they get flat footed on the “big” things so often. Several things on the east coast, paris;Hong Kong, and most especially media should have been predicted and avoided...but really weren’t.

Disneyland is what it is at this point.

I learned it in the '80s as "you're failure to pre-plan does not constitute my emergency". Disney owns a large portion of these problems.

nevol

Marvel, Star Wars, New Hotel, New parking structure. Pixar Pier. DTD upgrades. 2.5 billion spent to avoid gate tax for 40 years. Doesn't look to me when I look around like they aren't getting any attention. ***As I'm about to be walking from Mission: Breakout through Cars Land to Pixar Pier, because I can't cut through A Bug's Land because that's closed off. ***

Ummmm...the complete regut or DCA is a heck of a lot more than what WDW got from 2001-2012...and WDW should always get more...it’s bigger, handles lots more people and makes a lot more money...

It actually doesn't make very much money.

Finally, the local union is saying there needs to be a wage raise due to increased costs of housing, rent, and food. Two of those three are housing. Why is this massive political organization not advocating for housing construction? Not instead of, but in addition to? Why isn't anybody in Anaheim advocating for more housing for workers? 30,000 people on the waitlist for affordable housing that will never come because, what? The city isn't zoned for multifamily construction? It can accommodate 7 billion dollars worth of hotels and theme park investments but now apartment buildings? The anti-Disney populist movement in Anaheim right now knows what it doesn't like. They know who their enemy is, who to stop from getting what they want. They know they want to extract more value out of Disney. Nobody has any ideas about how to work alongside private investment to see quality of life gains across the entire city of Anaheim.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Marvel, Star Wars, New Hotel, New parking structure. Pixar Pier. DTD upgrades.

As I said previously those developments are nothing compared to the investments being made by Disney elsewhere. And Pixar Pier? Pfffftt.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As I said previously those developments are nothing compared to the investments being made by Disney elsewhere. And Pixar Pier? Pfffftt.

Ok...I was trying to build a bridge until this one...

What exactly do you want/think is warranted?

And I also see that Disney doesn’t make any money from WDW in a post above? Oh do tell...that makes so much sense considering they bother employeeing 60,000 employees there. I bet it’s break even 😳

D

Deleted member 107043

What exactly do you want/think is warranted?

Maybe you're unaware, but one version of the original 2001 DLR master plan included 5-6 hotels. The company announced a 3rd park, which it mysteriously stopped talking about after DCA opened. Disney waited over a decade to finally submit a plan to build the Eastern Gateway project, a delay that has resulted in the rushed construction of a different garage and pedestrian portal on land that was once earmarked for hotel development. By the way, the new Disney hotel is coming to Anaheim as the result of tax deal the city passed a few years ago to spur development.

The point of all this is to say that Disney could have moved forward with any or all of those previously planned projects, but it chose not to. Now it wants us to believe that it's suddenly ready to pull the trigger on a previously unrevealed hotel development in Garden Grove because Anaheim is acting "hostile"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe you're unaware, but one version of the original 2001 DLR master plan included 5-6 hotels. The company announced a 3rd park, which it mysteriously stopped talking about after DCA opened. Disney waited over a decade to finally submit a plan to build the Eastern Gateway project, a delay that has resulted in the rushed construction of a different garage and pedestrian portal on land that was once earmarked for hotel development. By the way, the new Disney hotel is coming to Anaheim as the result of tax deal the city passed a few years ago to spur development.

The point of all this is to say that Disney could have moved forward with any or all of those previously planned projects, but it chose not to. Now it wants us to believe that it's suddenly ready to pull the trigger on previously unrevealed hotel developments in Garden Grove because Anaheim is acting "hostile"?

And there were gonna he 15 counties in Epcot by 1985...

Disappointment is just part of the equation.

As is stock trading companies promising investors they can make “lots” more money by doing “big things” at all times...with zero intention of doing it.

I guarantee Eisner and igers yachts are freshly buffed and waxed this morning...rest assured.

D

Deleted member 107043

Disappointment is just part of the equatio

You aren't paying attention to what I'm saying or the topic of the discussion. This isn't about disappointment, it's about political maneuvering and Disney investing more heavily outside of Southern California as a result.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You aren't paying attention to what I'm saying or the topic of the discussion. This isn't about disappointment, it's about political maneuvering and Disney investing more heavily outside of Southern California as a result.

I’d you believe that to be the case...I grant your point.

I’m somewhat familiar with the Anaheim issues...I have taken time to read more and more lately to familiarize myself (a lost art)...but I don’t think they would be building more in Anaheim now if the politics were more friendly...the investment elsewhere serves different agendas. Money...the only agenda.

All master plans are overstated...has been especially true over the last 2 regimes. I was last there in 2016...before they announced the hotel going in on downtown...and i don’t see how that Eisner era masterplan would have worked? Where is the land?

Old Mouseketeer

And there were gonna he 15 counties in Epcot by 1985...

Disappointment is just part of the equation.

As is stock trading companies promising investors they can make “lots” more money by doing “big things” at all times...with zero intention of doing it.

I guarantee Eisner and igers yachts are freshly buffed and waxed this morning...rest assured.

Good to hear. I know many of us were worried about that! LOL

D

Deleted member 107043

All master plans are overstated...has been especially true over the last 2 regimes. I was last there in 2016...before they announced the hotel going in on downtown...and i don’t see how that Eisner era masterplan would have worked? Where is the land?

Please Google Westcot Resort and 3rd Disney park Anaheim. The answers to your questions are out there if you'd trouble yourself to look. Now, let's get back on topic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom