Disneyland considering building new hotels in Garden Grove

Old Mouseketeer

You certainly have a high opinion of yourself. You like to portray yourself as an expert on all things Anaheim and Disney yet are only talking about things that already support your biased view. You will only get support from people that already see things the same way you do.

How would anyone who hasn't made up their mind or simply looking for more knowledge on the subject trust you when you refuse to see the entire picture?

More importantly, he refuses to acknowledge any of the facts laid out that contradict his pro-business, pro-corporate narrative. Yes, he knows a lot about the goings on in Anaheim Resort politics. But knowledge is not wisdom.

The simple fact is that working families in America have gotten poorer over the past several decades due to corporate greed and government policies. Disney workers wages have not kept pace with inflation. At any moment I expect him to quote Scrooge (Mister, not McDuck) "Are there no workhouses?".

If the unions succeed in kicking Mickey Mouse's butt, you can be sure Darkbeer will be there to kiss it and make it all better.

Phroobar

Fight! Fight! Fight!
5311876_this-was-just-a-good-ol-fashioned-schoolyard_c37e86c0_m.gif

Darkbeer1

I am a businessperson, I went to Claremont McKenna to earn a degree in Economics. That is what I know, and learned. Becoming an Enrolled Agent taught me legal skills and how to deal with the government. My wife works for the County of Orange.

My father worked through the Department of State, and I made many connections as a kid and young adult.

I have been dealing with the city if Anaheim and its Government since the 1990's, and also know many folks there.

I have been a Theme Park fan as a kid, and have kept that passion my entire life, and that has allowed me many connections. I got into reporting on Disney by request of some Web Site owners, since they knew I could deliver good photos of construction projects, something I followed as a hobby. Since I started so early in the Social Media morphing for a secondary source of information, I was one of the first to be given Press Credentials to gain access, and once one park did it, others including Disney also recognized my second job/hobby.

So I came in the back door, and worked by way up, and made the connections, and now count many Senior Theme Park personnel as friends, including some retired Disney Legends.

Do I have a biased view, well, as with any person, including reporters, I do bring in my life history in how I think and report on things.

Do I have strong opinions, yes. Have they gotten me into trouble with Disney Management, yes. They want the news presented one way, they way they want it tailored. I preferred to cover Disneyland more realistically. So I got the lunches with Management asking to be "nicer" in my coverage, but I also got respect from many CM's due to that, including those who tried to tailor my coverage. To this day, a retired PR CM calls me up to discuss the current state of affairs, especially dealing with the city. He did it while still working for Disney, and it worked both ways. While each side had a public message/image they wanted to represent, they also knew the true realities of things, and wanted to know what others think.

In this day of change, I still go down the path of the knowledge I possess, use it, and learned in my childhood that the best course of action is to do things yourself, keep an open mind and learn, and not to care about what others think of me, but more of how I can help myself and others at the same time. I am happy to help others up, and to improve themselves, and don't let people try to label me.

My wedding had both a hand fasting, and a traditional service. Getting married in a church, and having a Christian pastor was important, but we also had a diverse group, and then went and rode a roller coaster before our reception. Traditions are important, as is History, and you need that to have a full life, but you also have to be open to other things. And sometimes you disagree with things. But then, some of my best friendships have come from disagreeing with them. And if you get involved in the political world, especially in the past, you had to have that skill. And in this current state of the nation regarding politics, it is a skill that many are missing.

In Economics, you learn that the system is based on facts, not feelings. If you don't learn that, then you are in for a rough ride.

If you want to place that in regards to the ALWI, I can tell you the Initiative was written very poorly, and by a group of lawyers who didn't have much skill in election law. They tried too hard to give their clients everything they wanted, but failed to watch the wording in how it would be interpreted by the government and the courts, They won't be the first, politicians have written some very bad tax laws that have delivered results they didn't want, but the IRS had to do what the law said, not what the politicians wanted. And that what happened with the ALWI, and since it was not clear in many matters, it is tough to decide what the government will have to do, because it becomes law if the voters pass it. Now, to make matters more complicated, the Unions are using the initiative to push a political agenda, and to accomplish things unrelated to the actual initiative.

It is a big chess game, and yes, Garden Grove is being used as a chess piece on the board. Are they a pawn? I would say no, but they clearly are not the King or Queen. more like a bishop or knight. Unfortunately, the pawns are the voters and employees in the Resort District. Do I have empathy for them, of course, but all I can do is point out who is trying to mover the chess piece, only they can make the change.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
...very enlightening...

But the American economy peaked across the entire population in 1968...and the wealth gap is growing at a wider pace than the gilded age...and that can’t continue into perpetuity.

That’s what I have read over the years that I believe...and in Keynes.

Other economic theories vary...but sound dumb.

Back to California: when and where are they building westcot???🤪

Darkbeer1

OK, back to Garden Grove and where a Disney project might go.

There are a couple of decent size lots on Harbor, just south of Chapman.

Also, there is a large strip mall next to the Great Wolf Lodge that has been brought up multiple times in the past. The Mall has had problems finding tenants as supposedly sell at a decent price. IMHO, that would be Disney's choice for a large project including some sort of Water Park. The lots near Chapman would be good for a decent Hotel/DVC project for a few hundred rooms.

There is the Nickelodeon Project that is in the design and funding stage, the preliminary plans are link.

https://www.ci.garden-grove.ca.us/city-files/nickelodeon-v2.pdf

Once again, this is Garden Grove wining and dining Disney, but now Disney has responded publicly to the offer showing interest.

Of course, Disney will do what makes the most business sense. Maybe build in Anaheim if the 2019 Council is more friendly, and the ALWI is no longer an issue. They might build in Garden Grove. They might decide that currently in California it doesn't make sense to expand, and spend the money in Florida, Internationally, etc, Or just don't build anything for awhile.

What the Disneyland Resort needs is parking, and a lot of it for guests and CM's. Garden Grove isn't really interested in that, unless it comes with a Hotel also.

Old Mouseketeer

OK, back to Garden Grove and where a Disney project might go.

< snip >

What the Disneyland Resort needs is parking, and a lot of it for guests and CM's. Garden Grove isn't really interested in that, unless it comes with a Hotel also.

Well, it's not like Disney doesn't have options for parking. Once the Pinocchio structure is open, they can build the Hotel/DTD structure on Simba, west of PPH. Then they have Pumbaa and the two lots north of it (Eastern Gateway) after USCIS moves out in 2020 (Nobody has said if their contract has an extension clause). They can choose from the Harbor CM lot (which should have been a structure to begin with), K-Lot/Toy Story, and the rest of Simba.

What they haven't had is leadership. They bounce from idea to idea faster than my ADD-addled brain! If they were smart, they would have gone vertical on K-Lot and/or the back end of Toy Story and gotten the tax break for a new luxury hotel at the front of Toy Story fronting Harbor. They could have had the queen of convention hotels (if they knew how to run an actual four-star/diamond property).

I don't have any illusions that this will follow a linear path--expect twists and turns with every chapter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom