Disneyland considering building new hotels in Garden Grove

GiveMeTheMusic

Lemme get my microscope, I seem to have lost the world’s smallest violin and I would like for the Disneyland Resort’s “leadership” team to hear several songs played on it.

This is a hilariously empty threat. They can’t muster the courage to connect Toy Story parking lot to the main resort but we are to believe they’d build another resort just down the street in Garden Grove?

Swimming in profits and sky high prices, but the people who make it all possible can not be paid anything resembling a living wage. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Old Mouseketeer

This sounds like a ploy to me, maybe its related to the parking structure/ walkway plans which were knocked back.

I cant see disney building hotels and other tourist facilities so far from Disneyland, transport would be a key problem and was one reason why they didnt buy knotts in the 90s. If anything is moved to garden grove its likely to be backstage support to free up space at the main resort for development

There is very little left in backstage support that can be moved off-site. Disney screwed up by not putting more support facilities for DCA in basements or second storys. They could have freed up several acres with better planning and paying the up-front costs. Just look at Grand Californian--it eats up a huge chunk of acreage on the east side of DL Drive. There are only a couple of support buildings that could be moved off-site, but with tremendous logistical complexity. Maybe they could pick up an acre or two, but I'm not optimistic.

Robbiem

While i still think this is a ploy it could be something like the celebration hotel in Tokyo. That is off of the resort property but owned by the oriental land company and operated as an official hotel with bus transport. Perhaps this is a way to go after the moderate market in California, keeping the on site hotels as premium resorts and sticking some cheaper ones further way, possibly with some shopping/dining kind of like the disney springs set up would have been in the early days of WDW but with disney owned and operated hotels and the city separating them from the parks rather than swamp

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is very little left in backstage support that can be moved off-site. Disney screwed up by not putting more support facilities for DCA in basements or second storys. They could have freed up several acres with better planning and paying the up-front costs. Just look at Grand Californian--it eats up a huge chunk of acreage on the east side of DL Drive. There are only a couple of support buildings that could be moved off-site, but with tremendous logistical complexity. Maybe they could pick up an acre or two, but I'm not optimistic.

Disneyland is tapped out...more or less...

But they’ve kinda known this for 20 years, have they not?
The overall outlook for TWDC in many ways reminds me of a plaque on my fourth grade teachers Wall - pre Internet - and it goes like this:

“Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part”

...as successful as they are, they get flat footed on the “big” things so often. Several things on the east coast, paris;Hong Kong, and most especially media should have been predicted and avoided...but really weren’t.

Disneyland is what it is at this point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While i still think this is a ploy it could be something like the celebration hotel in Tokyo. That is off of the resort property but owned by the oriental land company and operated as an official hotel with bus transport. Perhaps this is a way to go after the moderate market in California, keeping the on site hotels as premium resorts and sticking some cheaper ones further way, possibly with some shopping/dining kind of like the disney springs set up would have been in the early days of WDW but with disney owned and operated hotels and the city separating them from the parks rather than swamp

In Orlando, they have decided the moderate market doesn’t exist and have taken steps to eliminate it. SoCal is definitely a different market...but is there that much stopping them from trying to price them out there as well??

the.dreamfinder

In Orlando, they have decided the moderate market doesn’t exist and have taken steps to eliminate it. SoCal is definitely a different market...but is there that much stopping them from trying to price them out there as well??
There’s an argument to be made that they effectively let their competition build room stock they could have built because they love their margins too much.

D

Deleted member 107043

It’s a stretch to call it an “argument”...they basically stopped Hotel construction 16 years ago...plenty of developers outside the property have yet to blink

This is exactly what makes their threat to build in Garden Grove so absurd. What "future development" are they talking about and where exactly are they proposing to build it?

In the almost 20 years since the debut of The Disneyland Resort Disney has spent relatively little on expansion in Southern California while investing billions opening multiple theme parks and resorts elsewhere. DLR is nothing more than a cash cow to Disney. They aren't fooling me with this silliness.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is exactly what makes their threat to build in Garden Grove so absurd. What "future development" are they talking about and where exactly are they proposing to build it?

In the almost 20 years since the debut of The Disneyland Resort Disney has spent relatively little on expansion in Southern California while investing billions opening multiple theme parks and resorts elsewhere. DLR is nothing more than a cash cow to Disney. They aren't fooling me with this silliness.

Funny this is...the same is true in Orlando. 100%

yeti

Lemme get my microscope, I seem to have lost the world’s smallest violin and I would like for the Disneyland Resort’s “leadership” team to hear several songs played on it.

This is a hilariously empty threat. They can’t muster the courage to connect Toy Story parking lot to the main resort but we are to believe they’d build another resort just down the street in Garden Grove?

Swimming in profits and sky high prices, but the people who make it all possible can not be paid anything resembling a living wage. They should be ashamed of themselves.
But but Bob Iger cancelled Roseanne! He's a hero!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom