News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

TP2000

I can’t believe you went this far trying to belittle them... frankly it reflected worse on you. It is a super common usage. It is used to convey the idea of allowing something to gently wind down or trail out...verse a harsh stop like you keep suggesting they should have said. It is a play on the old concept “to ride off into the sunset...”

I'd never heard the word "sunsetting" used in a sentence before, certainly not as a synonym for the word "ending". And from my online research, the word "ending" would have directly applied in that sentence Mr. Potrock authored instead of his use of the word "sunsetting".

I'm clearly not sitting at the cool end of the table at dinner parties, if that's what kind of vocabulary the in crowd is using.

I was heartened to discover though that it's not a word that exists in several dictionaries I checked, and online searches lead me to forums where people are trying to figure out what it means after someone used it in a sentence, usually that someone worked in HR and uses lots of buzzwords anyway. So it's not just me.

Also, according to several online dictionaries, the phrase "ride off into the sunset" traces its first usage to 1963, after TV westerns had been popular for the previous decade. So that phrase isn't that old.

But I'm going to start using sunsetting in conversation as much as I can, rest assured.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd never heard the word "sunsetting" used in a sentence before, certainly not as a synonym for the word "ending". And from my online research, the word "ending" would have directly applied in that sentence Mr. Potrock authored instead of his use of the word "sunsetting".

I'm clearly not sitting at the cool end of the table at dinner parties, if that's what kind of vocabulary the in crowd is using.

I was heartened to discover though that it's not a word that exists in several dictionaries I checked, and online searches lead me to forums where people are trying to figure out what it means after someone used it in a sentence, usually that someone worked in HR and uses lots of buzzwords anyway. So it's not just me.

Also, according to several online dictionaries, the phrase "ride off into the sunset" traces its first usage to 1963, after TV westerns had been popular for the previous decade. So that phrase isn't that old.

But I'm going to start using sunsetting in conversation as much as I can, rest assured.

sunset
verb

sunsetted; sunsetting

Definition of sunset (Entry 3 of 3)

1 transitive, US : to cause or allow (something, such as a law) to lapse, end, or be terminated And yet, even though he was part of the coalition, Obama offered an amendment … that would have sunsetted the merit-based evaluation system for immigrants after five years.— Jake Tapper In an effort to cut back on projects, Google decided to sunset Google Reader …— Tristan Louis

2 intransitive, US : to lapse or come to an end : expire laws that will sunset at the end of the year Since the credit will sunset at the end of 2016, its fate could rest in the hands of a new Congress and a new president—who might not necessarily see the value in reinstating the credit.— Eric S. Peterson

Last I checked Merriam Webster is prominent dictionary.

TP2000

sunset
verb

sunsetted; sunsetting

Definition of sunset (Entry 3 of 3)

1 transitive, US : to cause or allow (something, such as a law) to lapse, end, or be terminated And yet, even though he was part of the coalition, Obama offered an amendment … that would have sunsetted the merit-based evaluation system for immigrants after five years.— Jake Tapper In an effort to cut back on projects, Google decided to sunset Google Reader …— Tristan Louis

2 intransitive, US : to lapse or come to an end : expire laws that will sunset at the end of the year Since the credit will sunset at the end of 2016, its fate could rest in the hands of a new Congress and a new president—who might not necessarily see the value in reinstating the credit.— Eric S. Peterson

Last I checked Merriam Webster is prominent dictionary.

Thank you. I was looking at my Websters hardbound I keep in the den. It's the 2009 edition and it doesn't have "sunsetting" as an English word.

The OC Register has just updated their website with the full story. And they missed a huge opportunity to use the word in their headline "Disneyland Sunsets Annual Passholder Program".

Instead, the afternoon editor at the Register clearly has no vision and went with the far more mundane "Disneyland Cancels Annual Passholder Program" as the headline...

Disneyland has canceled its annual passholder program out of concern that demand by fans using the popular membership program could overwhelm Disney’s capacity-constrained Anaheim theme parks once an extended coronavirus closure eventually comes to an end.

Disneyland will start issuing prorated refunds to annual passholders starting Thursday, Jan. 14, according to Disney officials. Disneyland officials won’t say how many people have annual passes, but theme park industry observers have estimated the number to be 1 million.

Figments Friend

This is absolutely perfect. And I agree with you.

But I hope the neckbeard bloggers don't work through those stages as quickly as you did. I need some good entertainment tonight and I'm hoping they are still only on the first three or four emojis.

OH they are.....

Take a look at the meltdowns happening on the ol' social media cesspool, Twitter.
I rarely venture there, but just had to peek as I figured delights were to be had.

I'm going to gain ten pounds eating all the kettle corn i have eaten in the last half hour reading the hoopla over there and eslewhere.
Quite entertaining, in a twisted kinda way.
( what can I say.....I'm a lil' bored tonight and needed some entertainment...)

-

TP2000

You guys, the videos are starting to be uploaded!

Here is Fresh Baked. I only watched the first 5 seconds, and of course he starts by explaining what the word "sunsetting" means to the audience at home. What a bunch of rubes that they don't know what that means! 🤣

I'm saving the rest. The sun is literally just setting now, it's gorgeous, and I need to pour some wine and pull together a little smorgasbord platter before I settle in to watch the shock and horror.

Stevek

Here's the first laugh for us...

"We will be sunsetting the current program." -Ken Potrock, January 14th, 2021

Sunsetting??? What the hell does that mean? Did he mean to type the word "ending" and somehow his TDA grammar software turned that into an HR buzzword called "sunsetting"?

And he actually thought it was normal to put the nonsense word "sunsetting" in an official public statement? :rolleyes:

Has Mr. Potrock been hanging out with Governor Newsom after all and they are drinking and buzzword buddies???
We've used this term for years at my work (and I'm in my early 50's) when we stop offering something, totally made sense to me when he said it.

Stevek

Here is Fresh Baked. I only watched the first 5 seconds, and of course he starts by explaining what the word "sunsetting" means to the audience at home. What a bunch of rubes that they don't know what that means! 🤣

I'm saving the rest. The sun is literally just setting now, it's gorgeous, and I need to pour some wine and pull together a little smorgasbord platter before I settle in to watch the shock and horror.

I'm waiting for the videos with tears. I guess you can pay for a ticket once a week but man, I can't picture they generate nearly that much revenue.

Stevek

I think the monthly payments ruined the AP program (sorry monthly folks). One of my sailing students said he was the one that came up with the program (supposedly).
We used monthly payments because we could, not because we had to and I've been saying this for years. The monthly payment program made it appear affordable for many, many people...probably quite a few that might have made better use of the cash...but to each his own.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thank you. I was looking at my Websters hardbound I keep in the den. It's the 2009 edition and it doesn't have "sunsetting" as an English word.

The OC Register has just updated their website with the full story. And they missed a huge opportunity to use the word in their headline "Disneyland Sunsets Annual Passholder Program".

Instead, the afternoon editor at the Register clearly has no vision and went with the far more mundane "Disneyland Cancels Annual Passholder Program" as the headline...

Disneyland has canceled its annual passholder program out of concern that demand by fans using the popular membership program could overwhelm Disney’s capacity-constrained Anaheim theme parks once an extended coronavirus closure eventually comes to an end.

Disneyland will start issuing prorated refunds to annual passholders starting Thursday, Jan. 14, according to Disney officials. Disneyland officials won’t say how many people have annual passes, but theme park industry observers have estimated the number to be 1 million.
Its a very common word used in both the business and legal worlds. The US Government uses it when a law is set to expire.

Just because you have never heard of it used as a term before doesn't mean its not valid. The fact that the AP program is a contract, and thus a legal document, warrants the use of the word in this context.

Also the Register not using it is not paramount.

Th3 DUd3

Something I do find interesting that was used is the words "New Membership Offerings".

My outlandish prediction will be that any new offering will be tied to DVC.

I only say that because this is obviously tanking at the moment and they will need to spark both at the same time.

Existing DVC will be given an option to "upgrade"

That's my last speculation. If I get this right I'd still like my future Disney job please ;)

bryanfze55

I think a lot of vacationers stayed away from Disneyland because it was a locals park and always too crowded. I think a lot more people who normally wouldn't choose Disneyland Resort as a vacation spot first will now start to reconsider.

I'm wondering if this will force them to rethink the single day tier pricing as well.

Always too crowded yet wait times were half of what they are at WDW. People go to Disney World, because it’s Disney World and they assume it’s superior. Not to mention, Disney markets the hell out of the Florida resort to those in the East and Midwest.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

MMMMM Freshbaked tears.... sooo yummy!! videos like these make me soooo happy

Stevek

One word I do find interesting that was used is "New Membership Offerings".

My outlandish prediction will be that any new offering will be tied to DVC.

I only say that because this is obviously tanking at the moment and they will need to spark both at the same time.

Existing DVC will be given an option to "upgrade"

That's my last speculation. If I get this right I'd still like my future Disney job please ;)
DVC may get some perks or first dibs but my gut tells me it will be all reservation based but still an annual passport type of program.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom