News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I wouldn’t say there’s no going back. It all comes down to mighty dollar — time will tell though. It’ll be interesting to see what this “membership” is regardless.
There's no going back to the way things were. membership will for sure be some type of reservation thing and you will only be allowed soo many vists within a year meaning to get their money's worth they will have to stay all day at the park or flush that money down the drain.

Rich Brownn

I honestly hope its gone forever, I hate the annual pass model for themeparks. They end up inflating standard one day admission to try to sell you multiple visits in bulk by getting a pass.

I'd love if themepark tickets here went down in price as a result. I'd love to visit Universal once a year but not for 110 dollars (AP is 130)(see what a problem that is?).

I hope this actually permanently ends. If someone wants to go to Disneyland a million times they can do it still, its their money. But at least now you wont have the overcrowding of people feeling the need to buy a pass to get a good value (and then having to do repeat visits).

I've enjoyed my annual passes but I'd be lying if I said this was anything but a good thing. This is great news.

No more people visiting every week for instagrammable cupcakes or the popcorn bucket of the week.

Best news I've heard Disney related in my life.
I know in Florida the 1-day ticket prices are artifically inflated to keep guests from going elsewhere. Its a "Oh, sure you can go to Universal for $XXX but you can add an extra day at Disney for $XX"

Mouse Trap

There's no going back to the way things were. membership will for sure be some type of reservation thing and you will only be allowed soo many vists within a year meaning to get their money's worth they will have to stay all day at the park or flush that money down the drain.

You’re missing the point. IF this backfires and Disneyland sees a drastic drop in attendance and spending — poof, like magic an unlimited “membership” is now a thing.

Practical Pig

Thank you. I was looking at my Websters hardbound I keep in the den. It's the 2009 edition and it doesn't have "sunsetting" as an English word.

The OC Register has just updated their website with the full story. And they missed a huge opportunity to use the word in their headline "Disneyland Sunsets Annual Passholder Program".

Instead, the afternoon editor at the Register clearly has no vision and went with the far more mundane "Disneyland Cancels Annual Passholder Program" as the headline...

Disneyland has canceled its annual passholder program out of concern that demand by fans using the popular membership program could overwhelm Disney’s capacity-constrained Anaheim theme parks once an extended coronavirus closure eventually comes to an end.

Disneyland will start issuing prorated refunds to annual passholders starting Thursday, Jan. 14, according to Disney officials. Disneyland officials won’t say how many people have annual passes, but theme park industry observers have estimated the number to be 1 million.

Just as a BTW ... Mirriam-Webster is the official Webster's. It is the legal corporate heir to Noah Webster's dictionary. However, the Webster's name passed into public domain a long time ago. Anyone can compile a "Webster's Dictionary"and publish it regardless of merit, accuracy, or relevance to contemporary use of language.

I'm not certain if I've heard "sunsetting" before, but the meaning was instantly clear to me, and I didn't find it pretentious. Or reason to drag your obsession with Newsom into yet another unrelated thread. ;)

SuddenStorm

And speaking of eBay -

Guess what just became the hot new resellers item...?

Yep, you guessed it -
Disneyland Annual Passholder magnets.

( Ca-Ching' ! )

The one currently on my fridge from a few years ago is probably worth about $100 now....

-
I had gifted a friend a Splash Mountain "Everything Is Satisfactual" pin I had gotten for $8 days before the announcement of the ride's bastardization.

That same pin was selling for $75 on eBay.

That is one of my regrets of 2020.

Giss Neric

You guys, the videos are starting to be uploaded!

Here is Fresh Baked. I only watched the first 5 seconds, and of course he starts by explaining what the word "sunsetting" means to the audience at home. What a bunch of rubes that they don't know what that means! 🤣

I'm saving the rest. The sun is literally just setting now, it's gorgeous, and I need to pour some wine and pull together a little smorgasbord platter before I settle in to watch the shock and horror.

Have you heard, the California Disney vloggers are all going to Disney World now to get their content. Some even are planning to comeback. One I think is thinking of moving there permanently. The only thing holding Fresh Baked from going there is cause they have a baby.

Mouse Trap

They gonna see more money actually. because now they have to pay per visit. I didn't miss any point.

Yes you did... you’re assuming demand as well as consumer behavior will be the same and any incremental spending will not be missed. None of these things are guaranteed.

Seems like you’re more bent on a weird obsession bashing vloggers and hoping they’re miserable than actually discussing the various business outcomes of this decision though.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Well, it was inevitable, but still a bit shocking to finally hear!

At least this thread oughta be good for a few laughs... 🤣

What are you going to do now that you can't vlog for 'free' at DLR ;)

The consumers have the power...

A nice, noticeable 25% decrease in annual attendance will turn that ship around in a Wall Street minute.

“This is the way “

View attachment 524232

Unless the per cap goes up on guest spending. More/same money for less in costs? Sign wall street up.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

IMG_20210114_202736.jpg

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Yes you did... you’re assuming demand as well as consumer behavior will be the same and any incremental spending will not be missed. None of these things are guaranteed.

Seems like you’re more bent on a weird obsession bashing vloggers and hoping they’re miserable than actually discussing the various business outcomes of this decision though.
consumer behavior will be the same. people will always want to go to Disneyland. and yes I Hope this is the first stage of vloggers being a thing of the past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom