Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

TarzanRocked99-

You believe that don't you?

JC is falling apart.
Pirates is too.
Splash isn't far behind.
They had no choice with Tikis
CBJ has been limping, getting spare change when it could
BTM was the cheap option. And over half it's original story-led effects are still dead.
Diamond Horseshoe costs too much to open as it was designed
Pan is still stuck in 1971
Wishes has had product cut from each show (the choice was loose product or loose run time)

Holmes showed what can be done when he wants to (HM and HoP) and how to have things backfire spectacularly on him (Space Mountain)

And watch out for bits of your creaking infrastructure falling from the skies as a monorail passes.

While we are on the subject of Holmes it should be pointed out that we are being subjected to an 12 year old day parade and he has reduced the traffic on the ROA to almost zero.

M.rudolf

JT I'd really like to know the last time you went to the parks? Your bright eyed optimism can't be from a first hand experience. I truly love Disneyland and Disneyworld,but I won't make excuses for the neglect that is apparent Disneyworld. With ticket prices the way they are there is no excuse for broken animatronics and other maintenance issues. The difference between the two parks is night and day. You also can't tell me that the pendulum is now swinging back so it's now Disneyworlds turn for additional attractions and upgrades. TDO has neglected the property and now they have to play catchup due to Universals advances and a bad economy. I really don't get how TDO could fall as far as they have. Like Numerous members have asked when was the last time you visited a Disney park? I bet if you went as many times as some of these members go you wouldn't have the blind faith you do.

Scuttle

Funny but I have not heard anything doomtastic about Splash lately. Perhaps they finally decided to deal with the source of the problem.

Considering WDI's track record at the MK since the Haunted Mansion refurb perhaps it would be wise to take a "wait and see" attitude towards the CBJ changes. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because WDI only seems to hit home runs lately.

WDI only seems to hit home runs lately!? Your kidding right? I guess you also think the 2009 Space Mountain refurb was a walkoff grand slam. JT you really need to put the pixie pipe down dude.

tomman710

WDI only seems to hit home runs lately!? Your kidding right? I guess you also think the 2009 Space Mountain refurb was a walkoff grand slam. JT you really need to put the pixie pipe down dude.

I have to agree. Dude, I am a huge WDW fanatic, I have an AP and I live in Texas. In fact if anyone talks about going to Orlando I ferociously bash Uni to ensure they only go to WDW ... but even I can be real since I'm amongst friends here ... WDW is in a very very poor state, management is clearly missing what made WDW great ... details, impeccable attractions, etc ... they are missing no brainer decisions on building new attractions and ... honestly ... to say they have settled for status quo is a gross overstatement, they have settled for well below average and its an insult to most of us. The assumption by TDO is that we're essentially too stupid to see that half of attractions aren't working proprerly or don't require paint or have substandard sound.

jt04

When I say "lately" I mean the stuff Iger/Lasseter put in the pipline. I'd bet they were not around when Mega Space Mountain was designed. And we know this is true of Everest. Soarin was the last home run pre-Iger/Lasseter IMO.

And of course kudos to Sotto for M:S.

jt04

You believe that don't you?

JC is falling apart.
Pirates is too.
Splash isn't far behind.
They had no choice with Tikis
CBJ has been limping, getting spare change when it could
BTM was the cheap option. And over half it's original story-led effects are still dead.
Diamond Horseshoe costs too much to open as it was designed
Pan is still stuck in 1971
Wishes has had product cut from each show (the choice was loose product or loose run time)

Holmes showed what can be done when he wants to (HM and HoP) and how to have things backfire spectacularly on him (Space Mountain)

And watch out for bits of your creaking infrastructure falling from the skies as a monorail passes.

I'd be the last to say their work is done. They have a long ways to go no doubt. But I do not see how they could have done much better in the way they are fixing the problems that they have considering the amount of capital necessary to save other parts of the company while maintaining the stock price.

Remember, if the stock did not perform under Iger they really might have had to break up WDW as Lee has talked about. It appears we have avoided that disaster as they continued the painstaking process of repairing WDW's "foundations".

Someday people will write books about how TWDC not only survived a potential break-up or hostile takeover but how they did so without the vast majority of their customers ever noticing how bad things were.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Loyalist is a bit close to apologist. I enjoy the Disney product and think it is still worth the price I pay for it. If that changes I have no problem divesting myself of it. You reached that point before I did. No issue there as value is a matter of opinion.

As for defending Disney...meh. In some cases it might be useful to explore alternative reason for decisions are made rather than the fife and drum of "evil TDO". However, it's not even really worth it any more as the exploring around here now is to measure sausage.
We have square sausage in scotland so are we measuring width or depth?

lorne+sausage+009.jpg

M.rudolf

JT are you delusional? Name 2 things that have been a homer run in Disneyworld in the last five years. I would like to be optimistic but with Disney I have become realistic. I know you don't have insider info, so basically your adding 2+2 and getting 5. As a person who has been to Disneyworld numerous times in the past 5 years and grew up at Disneyland. The value is getting smaller and smaller. It's sad to say Disney seems to be nickel and diming a little more on every trip

lazyboy97o

When I say "lately" I mean the stuff Iger/Lasseter put in the pipline. I'd bet they were not around when Mega Space Mountain was designed. And we know this is true of Everest. Soarin was the last home run pre-Iger/Lasseter IMO.

And of course kudos to Sotto for M:S.
Iger was around. So was Staggs. As well as Rasulo. All but Lasseter were in the company and had Eisner's ear. A large par tof why Eisner was hated because he only listened to the same group of inexperienced people mostly from Strategic Planning, all of whom continue to run the Company. Why would Iger and Staggs intentionally feed Eisner bad ideas? So they could be your savior sheriffs that you did and didn't call the sheriff?

tomman710

Why deprive them of a good time?:rolleyes: Both resorts are worth a visit.

Well the ferocity in which I Uni bash was mostly hyperbole for the post but for the sake of full disclosure I should say I am a Uni pass holder but I think there are only a handful of attractions I think are worth riding at both parks and I think HP is vastly overrated (Spiderman is older tech and WAY better). However ... this is not a Uni vs. Disney thread ... my point was I am a rabid perhaps overboard and slightly out of touch WDW fan (not Mongello level) and I can admit that, hey ... ALOT is wrong, in fact its getting closer and closer to the line of more wrong than right.

My intention with telling friends to blow off Uni is my very misguided, optimistic, some would say JT level delusion that somehow those few friends will be the tipping point for the bottom line that TDO needs to actually do their jobs; i.e. maintenance, new projects, etc ...

jt04

Iger was around. So was Staggs. As well as Rasulo. All but Lasseter were in the company and had Eisner's ear. A large par tof why Eisner was hated because he only listened to the same group of inexperienced people mostly from Strategic Planning, all of whom continue to run the Company. Why would Iger and Staggs intentionally feed Eisner bad ideas? So they could be your savior sheriffs that you did and didn't call the sheriff?

I know he was "around". I guess I should have said, "in the loop". Beause he was not making content decisions about WDI as far as I know back then.

I don't think anyone deliberately gave Eisner bad information. But it is pretty obvious from some of the decisions he did make that he wasn't getting a whole lot of good advice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom