Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I hope I didn't lead you to believe that I thought you had posted the comments about questionable bonuses. I was referring to a couple of posts earlier today. I may very well be naive about this topic, however given the popularity of being quick to demonize success in this day and age because of what did happen with the banks and wall street, I just fealt it needed to be pointed out that unless one has hard evidence to substantiate a comment about another's motivation that it's probably best to keep those comments to ones self.

I don't demonize anyone. Do I think many of WDW's execs should be replaced? Yes. But I don't demonize anyone.
If I say Meg Crofton should lose her job, it's not like I'm saying it with hatred. I just don't believe someone with her abilities (or lack thereof) should be in said position.

I also don't feel there's much corruption in TDO's suites. We all know there was some which is why DVC's leadership was changed and they had a mess on Oahu. That's no secret. I'm also convinced Jim Lewis had something big that would have been ugly and he and his lawyers used that to get Disney to blame him, fire him and follow up with a letter recommending him to other employers. Pretty obvious there was more funny business going on than simply what was reported on.

My motivation in going after any Disney exec here is simply to see the company run in the best interests of its founders, cast, fans, guests and shareholders around the globe and not simply Wall Street.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think another issue is that Disney has no desire to associate itself with art like that of a Herb Ryman. Could you image a painting like that being done and published for Fantasyland? That isn't for kids. It's also why The Little Mermaid will be praised, because the little kids love it. The bar has been far to lowered. The art fits that bar. The colors are bight and cheery, there is no vagueness or abstraction to sell an emotion, just clarity of brand.

No. Everything is simple and mechanical and done with computers and tech and, unlike say a Pixar or Dreamworks film with heart, it comes of cheap.

All of the art I have seen, beyond the large concept piece of the entire land, looks very simple and not anything like Hench and the greats ... no layering, no detailing, nothing that makes a fanboi sit and study it and really take it in.

But that's what happens when you start considering meet and greets, no matter how elaborate, as attractions.

WDW1974

Original Poster
No digital domain the effects house/ the one in agoura hills as of mid april isn't being built. It's supposed to be built in Manhattan beach but nothing has begun on the Lightstorm building yet

A certain Spirit is hoping to go to lunch with someone who is working for Cameron (on the films, not the park project) soon!:cool:

WDW1974

Original Poster
2016? It'd be disgusting if we don't.

I would absolutely bet you will definitely see something at TPFKaTD-MGMS in the very near future.

While EPCOT continues to rot ... and DAK may move some dirt, which may or may not see any real action, ... and MK pretends that its little Fantasyland project is enough. Not nearly.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm hoping WDW is planning on doing something spectacular for the 50th in 2021. Come what may, I'm pretty sure I'll still be vacationing at WDW in 2021.:)

WDW just turned 40 ... so you want to write off the next nine years and let them slide on the same old stale, neglected product at every higher price points?

What would happen if one of your kids just said 'I'm going to just stay where I'm at for the next nine years, no learning, growing, improving?' Would you be OK with that?

And why would you reward Disney with your money for nine more years of the same old, same old?!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Although I know you were joking, I've always found it rather pathetic that Disney actually has so many corporate sponsors. It's kind of like a billionaire asking for financial assistance for rent or to send their kids to school.

They don't actually have enough. Disney is great at spending other people's money.

One reason why TDR is so amazing is that literally everything over there has a coporate sponsor ... from minor attractions like the Treehouse or Mark Twain or Astro Jets to parades and literally every food location. That sponsorship translates to money that OLC clearly places back into the parks.

Now, look at WDW in 1982 or 1992 vs. today ... much smaller number of sponsors.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah, wasn't that supposed to bring the Stormrider ride from TDS over? A weather themed pavilion would be really popular. Kids today love weather.

TDS has MANY great attractions. Stormrider isn't one of them. Quality? Yes. But really not more than 'OK' ... very similar to Wild Arctic at SW with better effects (but not a kewl Arctic exhibit when you exit).

SirLink

They don't actually have enough. Disney is great at spending other people's money.

One reason why TDR is so amazing is that literally everything over there has a coporate sponsor ... from minor attractions like the Treehouse or Mark Twain or Astro Jets to parades and literally every food location. That sponsorship translates to money that OLC clearly places back into the parks.

Now, look at WDW in 1982 or 1992 vs. today ... much smaller number of sponsors.

Disney is great at procrastination, waste and spending other peoples money. So Why For? are there not more sponsors in The World!

Is it that they couldn't find enough sponsors for every food location, every shop, every show, every ride? I'm not convinced they could or should I say would - especially when they start complaining the money isn't being spent well.

I wonder if the Chinese government will want a line of Western based companies sponsoring everything from Pirates flume ride to the bathrooms or will it be less to be respectful to the Chinese.

fosse76

Disney is great at procrastination, waste and spending other peoples money. So Why For? are there not more sponsors in The World!

It seems to me that the ways Disney sells sponsorships, the sponsors are actually fronting the actual cost of the attraction. And in this economy, corporations would be considered reckless in spending that kind of money for theme park sponsorship. As much as people complain about Six Flags, they have to pay the costs of their own construction projects. And unlike Disney, none of them are open daily, year-round, so only have 6 months to earn money back (and believe it or not, most of the (individual) parks that add new rides generally earn back the investment in that season or by the end of the subsequent season).

While I don't think it is a completely bad idea for Disney to do this, it is absolutely not ideal if that is the pre-requisite to building new additions, and certainly unacceptable as a condition for upkeep.

Is it that they couldn't find enough sponsors for every food location, every shop, every show, every ride? I'm not convinced they could or should I say would - especially when they start complaining the money isn't being spent well.
I am sure the contracts these companies sign explcitily detail where the money goes.

I wonder if the Chinese government will want a line of Western based companies sponsoring everything from Pirates flume ride to the bathrooms or will it be less to be respectful to the Chinese.
I assme you're talking about the park in China? I doubt they would care, and that's assuming sponsors are funding anything in the park.[/quote]

tomman710

Yes, that.
But, best not to dwell on such things. That way lies madness...

I can't imagine what it must be like for you (people who actually know about these plans in more specifics) or to a greater extent the imagineers that have to have the knowledge of great ideas/potential that is ready to go and you/them are waiting on a yes that may never come ... that must be infuriating.

The rest of us while still curious/frustrated at least can only speculate, we don't really know how good/great these ideas/attractions could be ...

RSoxNo1

TDS has MANY great attractions. Stormrider isn't one of them. Quality? Yes. But really not more than 'OK' ... very similar to Wild Arctic at SW with better effects (but not a kewl Arctic exhibit when you exit).
I think the ride portion of Wild Arctic is downright awful. The only thing worse is the Polar Express overlay. However, the animal exhibits that follow are fantastic. I just wish I could take better pictures in there because it really is the best indoor animal exhibit I've ever seen.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I think the ride portion of Wild Arctic is downright awful. The only thing worse is the Polar Express overlay. However, the animal exhibits that follow are fantastic. I just wish I could take better pictures in there because it really is the best indoor animal exhibit I've ever seen.

Wait until the new exhibit is done for ANTarctica

Pentacat

I don't demonize anyone. Do I think many of WDW's execs should be replaced? Yes. But I don't demonize anyone.
If I say Meg Crofton should lose her job, it's not like I'm saying it with hatred. I just don't believe someone with her abilities (or lack thereof) should be in said position.

I was going to bring up her predecessor but I found some "spirited" comments in another location that answered those questions.

How much of Anaheim's lack of concern for WDW has been just bad management? There's not some kind of pent up resentment going back to the piles of money that Eisner spent in Florida is there?

Californian Elitist

I was going to bring up her predecessor but I found some "spirited" comments in another location that answered those questions.

How much of Anaheim's lack of concern for WDW has been just bad management? There's not some kind of pent up resentment going back to the piles of money that Eisner spent in Florida is there?

I don't think management in Anaheim can do anything about Orlando management. I don't remember TDO/Orlando doing anything, besides build more parks, when DL was going through rough times. Anyone want to enlighten me?

If WDW is seeking help, they need to seek it from the company, not TDA I would think.

djlaosc

I'm looking forward to that. What's the time frame for the ride? If I visit Florida in the second half of next year I could see 2 days at Universal/IOA and 1 day at Sea World.

Antartica is still down for "unknown 2013", I think.

We have nearly done that every time we have been to Orlando (2002, 2005, 2007 - 2xUni/IOA 1.5xSWO, 2011 - 2xUni/IOA, 1xSWO - we went to SWO Labor Day Weekend so were there hours more than we would have been able to be at the other times, and we got to see the night time shows as well).

Granted, we tend to go for 2-3 weeks, but that also includes trips to Discovery Cove, Aquatica, Busch Gardens, Shopping, MiniGolf, as well as MK/E/DHS/DAK/TL/BB - we've never done a "Disney" holiday - we always do the big 3 (although we spend more time at Disney - more parks, and we stay onsite - although next time we are planning staying at Hard Rock for a night for FOTLP - if Disney gets rid of the free dining plan, maybe we could end up doing a 3-stop split-stay - WDW/HRH/Cabana Bay - when visiting SeaWorld parks and malls)

asianway

I don't think management in Anaheim can do anything about Orlando management. I don't remember TDO/Orlando doing anything, besides build more parks, when DL was going through rough times. Anyone want to enlighten me?

If WDW is seeking help, they need to seek it from the company, not TDA I would think.
I'm thinking they meant to say Burbank

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom