Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

lazyboy97o

Wow. Seriously or are you just joking around? That's like dangling a juicy steak in front of a starving dog. They don't have to have a groundbreaking next week, but I would love to at least hear about something concrete other than adding seats to a theater. That would be a great start.
I think he was saying that some of the plans are far along enough that they could very quickly begin construction work, not that this is going to be happening soon.

MerlinTheGoat

That's always how it is though right? The imagineering archives have to be full of hundreds of major ideas for new attractions that have been shot down over the years (and probably grow larger all the time). Though correct me if i'm wrong, but the chances aren't very good that any will happen when money is involved. Or are you actually talking about great plans that really ARE incredibly close to really getting funding and will soon be green lit?

I'm assuming this was a joke, but there's no reason anyone should have to do some kickstarter for some kind of Imagination redo or whatnot. That's for small timers who actually don't have the money to foot a bill upfront. I shouldn't have to explain why Disney is different in that regard. Disney needs to being doing that sort of thing on their own just because, don't you think they get enough money in theme park tickets and resorts? Let THEM pay for a new or redone attraction, then maybe we (the customers) will decide whether it's worthy of paying for, LOL! It would be ridiculous for a mega corporation like Disney to want people to fund their rides AND pay for tickets. If you started some sort of fund, they'd probably just laugh anyways.

culturenthrills

Yes, that.
But, best not to dwell on such things. That way lies madness...

Yes, that is why until I see actual work on something I won't be getting excited. Even an announcement wouldn't excite me cause we have seen how well those have gone at WDW lately or heck it would be interesting to figure out the percentage of things that have been announced for WDW since the beginning ever happened.

doctornick

Believe me... They have ample plans. At Least 2 attractions in each park could groundbreak next week.
Indeed. If they wanted to they could start as soon as they had the manpower and materials. The parks would be turned around. Epcot in particular.

So, to be clear: there is blueprints lying around that could add multiple rides to each theme park in the short term. They are advanced enough plans that work could begin very quickly (if desired).

But there is no specific intention that you know of for new attractions coming at this point? At least, not beyond what we already have rumored (Carland/RS and/or Door Coaster at DHS; Pandora at DAK).

Serious question I've wondered about: is there any plans for the former Wonders of Life pavilion? Since there is already infrastructure there, I've got to think that it would be relatively easy to repurpose it to house attractions again and it would be an easy way to add capacity and have something new at the park.

AEfx

How much does an attraction sponsorship cost? Could we use Kickstarter to put together the funds to sponsor something like the Imagination Pavilion? Just imagine, Imagination Presented by the Users of WDWMagic and Friends.

Although I know you were joking, I've always found it rather pathetic that Disney actually has so many corporate sponsors. It's kind of like a billionaire asking for financial assistance for rent or to send their kids to school.

SirLink

Yes, that.
But, best not to dwell on such things. That way lies madness...

I s'pose when management changes at both WDW and TWDC then we may see them actively compete, then things can happen very quickly, deppendent upon who takes over?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, to be clear: there is blueprints lying around that could add multiple rides to each theme park in the short term. They are advanced enough plans that work could begin very quickly (if desired).

But there is no specific intention that you know of for new attractions coming at this point? At least, not beyond what we already have rumored (Carland/RS and/or Door Coaster at DHS; Pandora at DAK).

Serious question I've wondered about: is there any plans for the former Wonders of Life pavilion? Since there is already infrastructure there, I've got to think that it would be relatively easy to repurpose it to house attractions again and it would be an easy way to add capacity and have something new at the park.
Yes. To be clear, there are a lot of attractions designed and ready, but nothing has been greenlit nor do I know of any aside from the MI Coaster that may be close. Some were close and got cancelled, some were rehashes of older proposals. Not to say DHS won't be getting anything over the next five years but so far as I'm aware nothing is 100% at the moment for that park.
There were proposals for a weather themed pavilion under a sliver domed roof for Wonders a good 4-5 years ago.

Cosmic Commando

If Phil Holmes gets a (this is a hypothetical, but based in reality) $50,000 bonus if he brings MK labor costs in under a certain number, then you might see fewer CMs on attractions or serving at dining locales all resulting in longer waits and less happy guests and cast.
Or, removing Phil Holmes, why you might see entire pavilions in Epcot close at 7 when the rest of the park closes at 9... or World Showcase open at 11, for that matter. A manager who is interested in show might try to create a reason for people to go back to World Showcase earlier in the day instead of just closing it until people start to get hungry.

SirLink

Yes. To be clear, there are a lot of attractions designed and ready, but nothing has been greenlit nor do I know of any aside from the MI Coaster that may be close. Some were close and got cancelled, some were rehashes of older proposals. Not to say DHS won't be getting anything over the next five years but so far as I'm aware nothing is 100% at the moment for that park.
There were proposals for a weather themed pavilion under a sliver domed roof for Wonders a good 4-5 years ago.

This makes me wonder who they can get to run P&R and each of the executive positions(VPs/Pres of WDW) @ TDO especially in the current situation.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Yes that's how it's always worked... Concepts are thought out, often to great detail, but may not keep progressing. So the idea is saved. Sometimes because it was an exercise, sometimes because its theoretical planning, sometimes it's projects that were planned to be built but were stopped. Wdi doesn't always wait for a build order before designing attractions.

But that doesn't mean the whole thing is on a shelf waiting to be built and opened. Just that a fully baked concept would have most of the core concepts detailed out, probably the basic engineering at least started, and a solid idea of 'how' and what a budget would look like. Basically enough that if you had to start... You could leap on it and get the rest of the details started on.

But that's how staging works.. And Wdi is keen on not throwing away old work and concepts. They keep them to learn again from or repurpose.

Its very much like people's reaction when someone says 'the military has plans on how to invade Iran!!!'. Of course they do.. That's the job of the planners to work such things out ahead of time.. So when it's needed.. You are ready *now*. It doesn't mean we are ready to invade.

Wdi studies ideas of all sorts. Remember their job now is to sell their services - not just sit back and wait for a vp to say 'hey, I need a ride'

RSoxNo1

Yes that's how it's always worked... Concepts are thought out, often to great detail, but may not keep progressing. So the idea is saved. Sometimes because it was an exercise, sometimes because its theoretical planning, sometimes it's projects that were planned to be built but were stopped. Wdi doesn't always wait for a build order before designing attractions.

But that doesn't mean the whole thing is on a shelf waiting to be built and opened. Just that a fully baked concept would have most of the core concepts detailed out, probably the basic engineering at least started, and a solid idea of 'how' and what a budget would look like. Basically enough that if you had to start... You could leap on it and get the rest of the details started on.

But that's how staging works.. And Wdi is keen on not throwing away old work and concepts. They keep them to learn again from or repurpose.

Its very much like people's reaction when someone says 'the military has plans on how to invade Iran!!!'. Of course they do.. That's the job of the planners to work such things out ahead of time.. So when it's needed.. You are ready *now*. It doesn't mean we are ready to invade.

Wdi studies ideas of all sorts. Remember their job now is to sell their services - not just sit back and wait for a vp to say 'hey, I need a ride'
To add to this, while the actual shelved projects may not necessarily get used, components of them often are. I don't doubt that elements of the Mermaid ride for Paris were at least reviewed for the DCA and MK attractions. No, it's not the same ride but they could draw from work that has already been done.

I assume more often than not it's actually ride system designs that are lifted from existing concepts.

doctornick

Yeah, wasn't that supposed to bring the Stormrider ride from TDS over? A weather themed pavilion would be really popular. Kids today love weather.

A weather themed pavilion would be a good fit. Stormrider is a motion simulator, right? Could they simply repurpose the Body Wars space for that? Is that previous ride still more or less intact?

While I agree with many others that fixing up current attractions (I'm looking at you, Imagination) a Epcot would be a good thing, I think that bringing back the former Wonders of Life pavilion and getting it back to non-F&W guest purposes should be a top priority at Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom