Disney World unfairly slammed for wages.

DisneyJoe

...which all take low-paid employees to do for them. I think wat the poster was getting at is that even though prices have went up (as well as entertainment and guest experience) the pay rate to accomodate these things is relatively the same.

I was referring to material cost, not labor cost.

Mr. Morrow

Original Poster
When I was in High School, I worked for Kroger in Detroit making the princely sum of $1.00/hr
Was I supposed to say Kroger was unfair paying only $1.00/hr for a bag boy and stock clerk?
Michigan is a "closed shop" state, so after my 90 days probationary period was up, I would have had to pay the local food workers union $35.00 a week in dues and a $350.00 inititation fee.... for a job that payed $1.00/hr part time!
Who was unfair, Kroger or the Union?

Probaly both. I have no way to judge the $1 an hour how long ago was it.

Do you get whay I am saying though? To be the CM working at Dumbo loading and unloading, it just isn't worth $15 an hour. If it was I would move back to Florida and become a Dumbo CM because it would be more money than I am making now.

raven

Ok we are talking about a few dollars but if we were to start paying CM's 15 dollars at the start because that is what people think is fair there is no way you can tell be that ticket prices wouldn't go up.

I don't think we are talking about every CM making $15/hour. But to be paid correctly for the work they do, expectations put on them and the lack of appreciation they get for it would be a start. Ticket prices are going to go up anyway. But why not put some of that back into the people that make the magic for them?

Mr. Morrow

Original Poster
I don't think we are talking about every CM making $15/hour. But to be paid correctly for the work they do, expectations put on them and the lack of appreciation they get for it would be a start. Ticket prices are going to go up anyway. But why not put some of that back into the people that make the magic for them?

I have no problem with that what so ever, I used to be a CM :wave:

Buried20KLeague

I don't understand why this is such an issue all of the sudden??!! cause the economy is bad?? Disney has paid minimum wage forever. so whats the big deal??? :shrug:

You have to understand: Perception is 90% of reality.

The perception to many is that Disney makes money hand over fist, and also that in the past Disney treated their CM's differently. These both certainly seem to be true. But where people go wrong is when they directly correlate Disney's profit to their "moral need" to share that profit with the CM's.

But to many, that's the perception... And to many, that view is accurate.

The problem is... The actual reality is that wages are in no way tied to corporate revenue. It doesn't matter how much Disney makes... They're not obligated to share any of that with anyone.

Now... That's not to say that's the way it SHOULD be... I'm an example of just the opposite. When my companies do well, so do my employees. I find it to be a very positive thing for my people, and it's rewarded both them and myself. It's just a matter of preference by ownership... And we all know how TDO is about money.

floridabill

Exactly.
Doesn't anyone remember the 'Disney Difference?'
It was an honor to be employed by the mouse and everyone knew it. They had the best, expected the best and they charged guests accordingly.

Somewhere down the line the difference was thrown out. Expectations were lowered while the price we pay to visit went up and up. You know it and I know it.

I love visiting the parks as much as the rest of you guys. I've been 6 or 8 times since I left in '05, but you can't tell me we're getting the best value for our vacation dollar. We can't be. There is still a lot to enjoy, but every year they take a little more away, and prices rise a little more.

The CM's are being expected to put on the magic - no matter what. We step on stage - smiling thought the heat, the humidity and the humiliation of being belittled by a company we once idolized.

Safety. We've all seen what's happened to the No. 1 goal. Bus drivers hitting children other vehicles. Monorail pilots being killed by a lack of care and staffing.

Courtesy. There is still plenty of this going around if you know where to look.

Show. This one is going the way of the buffalo - and not slowly.

Efficiency. The WDC is become a master of parting us with our $$$ quite efficiently.

</rant>

Though most of the disney difference has gone down the drain. Busses aren't hitting kids! The kid had a crappy bike the parents and family weren't even around! the kids tire's were crap and caused him to swerve and he hit the side of the bus and it took him under! sad and unfortunate but just a freak accident! maybe you should try and read the news, or watch it if you have difficulty reading. :wave:

OFTeric

The perception to many is that Disney makes money hand over fist, and also that in the past Disney treated their CM's differently. These both certainly seem to be true. But where people go wrong is when they directly correlate Disney's profit to their "moral need" to share that profit with the CM's.

The problem is... The actual reality is that wages are in no way tied to corporate revenue. It doesn't matter how much Disney makes... They're not obligated to share any of that with anyone.

Now... That's not to say that's the way it SHOULD be... I'm an example of just the opposite. When my companies do well, so do my employees. I find it to be a very positive thing for my people, and it's rewarded both them and myself. It's just a matter of preference by ownership... And we all know how TDO is about money.

you are 100% right, it is managements and the owners choice. However it is my choice as a consumer to spend my money on world class experiences at different venues, which is what has been happening for the last 2 years.

If I am going to spend money on a 4 Diamond Resort it isn't a disney 4 diamond.

stlbobby

Just to be clear I wasn't stating that Disney should pay more out of a moral need. I totally understand it is a business and it is about making money. I was advocating investing in the workforce to pay dividends down the road. I recognize this would cost the company initially, but in the coming years it would be profitable through lower turnover, better talent providing better work, and a better guest experience.

It is a long-term strategy.

I also don't think anyone would say a Dumbo Operator needs or deserves $15/hr. But maybe they deserve more than they are getting, I don't know that for sure, but it seems so judging from the disgruntled employees, former employees, and disappointed guests represented here. While the work may not be technical a Dumbo Op does provide that Disney difference, a very difficult quality to quantify.

Finally I think there is more here than just money. Often a job can look bad due to many other factors. If employees feel disrespected, disposable, or unappreciated it will affect them. Seeing no opportunity for advancement, feeling locked in to a dead-end can also produce ennui. The problem with an organization as large as WDW/Disney the easiest of these problems to fix is salary, which costs the most.

Buried20KLeague

There is not a 1 to 1 correspondence between ticket prices and wages. Tickets also pay for park operational expenses - fireworks, supplies, paint, electricity, gas, air conditioning, park expansions/ride or attraction maintenance...etc.

Most of which, one could argue, have deteriorated over the last decade, as these prices increased.

resjr1

Disney Negotiations Start
On Thursday, June 17, 2010, the Service Trades Council Union (STCU) began the process of renegotiating the contract covering 20,000 full-time workers at Walt Disney World. The session began with spokespersons from the Union and Company making opening remarks. The Union stated its position of increasing wages, making healthcare more affordable, protecting Union jobs, improving the pension plan and addressing issues with scheduling. The Company spokesperson said that the Company’s proposals would focus on flexibility to run the business more efficiently and remain true to the 4 key values of the Company: Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency.

The Union held true to its word and made opening proposals that reflected its goals. In contrast, the Company made unfaithful proposals that would drastically change the working conditions at Theme parks and Resorts. What Disney management said, and did, were two different things. Those proposals included:

Eliminating the Pension plan for new hires
Eliminating Arbitration except for grievances involving institutional issues
Allowing the use of more Casual workers (CP, CT, ICP, etc.)
Eliminating the selection process for Coordinators
Changing all Coordinators to be “Relief” Coordinators
Allowing the Company to change scheduling methods and the payroll week without agreement from the Union
Eliminating a guarantee of hours when the Company changes your job classification
Drastically changing and adding restrictions to the call-sick free day policy
Addressing safety by invading your personal life with random drug tests without reasonable cause
Negatively modifying the Holiday procedures
Eliminating health insurance if employees utilize a government option or exchange

If agreed to, these proposals would allow the Company to dictate to you the working conditions of your job. None of these proposals come remotely close to addressing the 4 key values of the Disney Corporation. All of these proposals are serious take away proposals that will adversely affect you and your family. It’s important that all Disney workers stand together for a better future.

The day before negotiations began, almost 100 Local 362 members, in eight different properties, did just that. These leaders of the Union went to the VP or GM of their work area and demanded a fair contract. These workers are leading the way. Disney workers must continue these types of actions to send the message to Disney management that: it’s our hard work and loyalty that makes this Company succeed!

All of these proposals will be addressed at the next “main table” bargaining session scheduled for Tuesday, August 31, 2010. In the meantime, the 6 affiliate Unions, including UNITE HERE! Local 362, will be meeting with the Company to address specifics surrounding job classifications in “Side Letter” bargaining sessions

Buried20KLeague

Just for fun.... when Eisner retired, I figured out that you could give EVERY WDC employee, in EVERY line of business a 23,000.00 dollar a year raise for 15 years with Eisner's severance package.

HA! That's great. :lol:

Management of so many large companies is SOOOOOO screwed up. At times, really, all you can is laugh.

raven

On Thursday, June 17, 2010, the Service Trades Council Union (STCU) began the process of renegotiating the contract covering 20,000 full-time workers at Walt Disney World. The session began with spokespersons from the Union and Company making opening remarks. The Union stated its position of increasing wages, making healthcare more affordable, protecting Union jobs, improving the pension plan and addressing issues with scheduling. The Company spokesperson said that the Company’s proposals would focus on flexibility to run the business more efficiently and remain true to the 4 key values of the Company: Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency.

The Union held true to its word and made opening proposals that reflected its goals. In contrast, the Company made unfaithful proposals that would drastically change the working conditions at Theme parks and Resorts. What Disney management said, and did, were two different things. Those proposals included:

Allowing the Company to change scheduling methods and the payroll week without agreement from the Union
Eliminating a guarantee of hours when the Company changes your job classification
Addressing safety by invading your personal life with random drug tests without reasonable cause
Eliminating health insurance if employees utilize a government option or exchange

If agreed to, these proposals would allow the Company to dictate to you the working conditions of your job. None of these proposals come remotely close to addressing the 4 key values of the Disney Corporation. All of these proposals are serious take away proposals that will adversely affect you and your family. It’s important that all Disney workers stand together for a better future.

The day before negotiations began, almost 100 Local 362 members, in eight different properties, did just that. These leaders of the Union went to the VP or GM of their work area and demanded a fair contract. These workers are leading the way. Disney workers must continue these types of actions to send the message to Disney management that: it’s our hard work and loyalty that makes this Company succeed!

All of these proposals will be addressed at the next “main table” bargaining session scheduled for Tuesday, August 31, 2010. In the meantime, the 6 affiliate Unions, including UNITE HERE! Local 362, will be meeting with the Company to address specifics surrounding job classifications in “Side Letter” bargaining sessions

That would be my union.

stlbobby

This is the free market system at work. The company makes its proposals now the rank and file will have to stand strong behind their leadership and demand better. Hopefully it will end with a solid compromise that benefits everyone.

Do the unions represent any of the part-time workers, and if not would it help your cause to bring them in the fold? You would have a much greater shutdown power if you did, but the mix of priorities between part-timers and full-timers can muddy things. What's the situation down there?

devoy1701

Just for fun.... when Eisner retired, I figured out that you could give EVERY WDC employee, in EVERY line of business a 23,000.00 dollar a year raise for 15 years with Eisner's severance package.

Your math is incredibly wrong. Eisner earned about $1 billion in bonuses and stock options over his entire tenure.

to give every employee just at WDW at 23,000 raise every year for 15 years would be about $10 Trillion!!!

With Disney's 100,000+ employees you're talking $34.5 Trillion conservatively...

I hate it when people blow things out of proportion!

Buried20KLeague

Your math is incredibly wrong. Eisner earned about $1 billion in bonuses and stock options over his entire tenure.

to give every employee just at WDW at 23,000 raise every year for 15 years would be about $10 Trillion!!!

With Disney's 100,000+ employees you're talking $34.5 Trillion conservatively...

I hate it when people blow things out of proportion!

Someone got happy with the zero button on the calculator, me thinkst. :lookaroun

:lol:

hokielutz

what about all the people in China and India who create & assemble all of the products that are sold in the parks?

stlbobby

Oh, my post wasn't directed at anyone specifically. No worries. :wave:

And... *ahem* GO CARDS!!

I wasn't taking it personally, and I didn't think you were directing it at me. I was just clarifying, because sometimes other posters only half read a thread and I didn't want to get in the, "go back and read what I said debate," with someone that latched onto your point.

Go Cards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom