Disney World Law Enforcement Spending Increases

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
How long does this take? Do people with bags still go through different lines than people w/o bags? We haven't been since end of 2015, so a lot has changed. We usually take one backpack with us (for 4 people) and I have my purse, so I would be the one to go through the bag line and have them check both.

You go through whatever metal detector is available. Since bags have previously been checked, you just place everything in a tray - bags, purses, phones, keys (Just like you would at the airport, but you get to keep your shoes on, lol) - and walk through. They may wand you, too. Doesn't take long at all, maybe a few minutes. The nice thing is that if you are taking a boat or monorail, you've gone through security prior to getting on either. Although I had to go through both again once when taking the monorail from GF to Epcot.

LAKid53

Premium Member
How early do the ones at Universal open? We were there a couple years ago, and we always got to the entrance of CityWalk from Royal Pacific before 6am (7am early morning access). There was never security there to check our bags - we walked on by. Found out they didn't start until 6am. Even the CityWalk employees were already there sweeping and hosing the the cement.

If you take the boat, you go through a bag check and metal detector prior to getting on the boat. I'm sure if you take the walkway to City Walk, you'll do the same somewhere along the path.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The K-9 units are actually Disney. They run their own K-9 operation.

Really. I just looked at them and thought OCSO...need to look closer at the uniforms. I know they have armed security - one responded when my daughter went to get help when a fight broke out between two families sitting next to us at Casey's in MK.

peter11435

Really. I just looked at them and thought OCSO...need to look closer at the uniforms. I know they have armed security - one responded when my daughter went to get help when a fight broke out between two families sitting next to us at Casey's in MK.
Yeah, their badges and uniforms say disney security as do the vehicles. I believe they have about a dozen units and have their own on property training facility.

Driver

Say what you will about profiling, random, single male etc. But cast members with ID in hand and in costume get checked no matter what. Every CM gets checked as well as their bag if they have one ( and CM's are people they know). For all the security you see there are many layers behind the scenes that you can't imagine. The public sees a small piece.

matt9112

First, while with enough determination one can find a way to do damage, deterrents certainly help.
Second, it would look really bad if something happens and it's found that security was lacking in comparison to competitors.
Third, it can be descriminatory to pull aside someone, especially when there are no statistics to back certain assumptions.
Fourth, exactly as you point out, more security makes people feel safer.

You can holler "security theater" all day, but there are proven results.

Must I also remind everyone that there are multiple occasions on which people tried to sneak a gun into the Magic Kingdom and got caught, or "scouted it out" and decided against it?

lol @sneak....you mean go to the parks with a gun yes....sneak as in trying to go and do something harmful....of course they should have know better but nothing nefarious was found. it's Florida I carry to work if I'm working late at night. now I know better and don't need to carry to the parks and I know the rules but some people are blind as bats. guns do not equal evil intent.

I would argue random screening is also a deterrent if it is truly random. I now have it down pat to walk through and avoid screening because I don't like being annoyed. on top of having my bullet bottle opener confiscated earlier this year because it looks like a "weapon". to be clear if I am told to go through screening I don't mind and still enjoy my day. :)

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Just back from the World and very glad to see that they have installed metal detecting body scanner type devices at all the parks and that the visible presence of Disney security has increased. They caused no problems for anyone that we could see on our entire trip and it's good to know they are out there if you need them.

The magnotometers are worthless because they are only used on randomly selected guests at the main entrances. During heavy traffic through the gates, at best half the guests are screened with them. Those that get randomly selected are often annoyed because they were selected and the guy in front of them were not. It would really be better if they simply screened everyone and did away with the random selection.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The K-9 units are actually Disney. They run their own K-9 operation.

Next time you’re there take a look at the OCSD SUV’s. At each entrance they will have one K-9 Unit there in ADDITION TO Disney Security’s K-9. The give away is they have the hood popped to allow the AC to work for the dog without overheating the vehicle.

peter11435

In ADDITION TO the Disney units, there are OCSD ones there too. Their units are not as conspicuous as the Disney ones. I don’t understand the need why over a stupid point, you can’t just stand corrected.
I never denied that OCSD has K-9 units on property. I stated that Disney operates their own K-9 department which is a fact and I stated that the ones most visible on property are Disney's which is also true and a fact that you yourself just backed up. I can't stand corrected because there was nothing to correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom