Disney World Law Enforcement Spending Increases

EOD K9

Yeah, their badges and uniforms say disney security as do the vehicles. I believe they have about a dozen units and have their own on property training facility.
Both are on site. WDW K9 will be more visible though. I've been friends with some of the WDW K9s for over ten years and have done a bit of training with them while on vacation.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Honestly, I don't think you have a clue how this process works.

First, private security guards can carry guns legally but Disney does not permit their own security guards to carry guns onto their property, which is the company's right. To be clear, there are a few exceptions but WDW prohibits cast members from bringing guns in their private vehicles to work, let alone clocking in with them. What you have are OCSO deputies who are working overtime, getting paid by OCSO. Disney, in turn, pays OCSO for these deputies' time. Thus, the officers are not on Disney's payroll. If they were, it would open up the can of worms I described earlier, where Disney security personnel are acting as a law enforcement agency. Thus, Reedy Creek is increasing the budget to OCSO, so that they may have more of a staffing presence on property. Please see the original article which led to this thread:
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/disney-world-law-enforcement-spending-increases

I don't know where you are getting YOUR facts but OCSO has been the long-time law enforcement agency supporting Reedy Creek and there have been deputies on hand at each park backstage since at least the 90s. Can't tell you how many times during my many years working there I had to work with the deputies to deal with a law enforcement issue as it related to park guests. The issue with the chase was that, prior to 1994, Disney did not use OCSO for nearly anything, nor did they permit them (or FHP) on property for traffic services, etc. After this incident, they massively cut back on what Disney security was and was not allowed to do, also massively altering their appearance (giving them the "ice cream salesmen" costumes you see today, changing the light bars, etc).[/
Honestly, I don't think you have a clue how this process works.

First, private security guards can carry guns legally but Disney does not permit their own security guards to carry guns onto their property, which is the company's right. To be clear, there are a few exceptions but WDW prohibits cast members from bringing guns in their private vehicles to work, let alone clocking in with them. What you have are OCSO deputies who are working overtime, getting paid by OCSO. Disney, in turn, pays OCSO for these deputies' time. Thus, the officers are not on Disney's payroll. If they were, it would open up the can of worms I described earlier, where Disney security personnel are acting as a law enforcement agency. Thus, Reedy Creek is increasing the budget to OCSO, so that they may have more of a staffing presence on property. Please see the original article which led to this thread:
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/disney-world-law-enforcement-spending-increases

I don't know where you are getting YOUR facts but OCSO has been the long-time law enforcement agency supporting Reedy Creek and there have been deputies on hand at each park backstage since at least the 90s. Can't tell you how many times during my many years working there I had to work with the deputies to deal with a law enforcement issue as it related to park guests. The issue with the chase was that, prior to 1994, Disney did not use OCSO for nearly anything, nor did they permit them (or FHP) on property for traffic services, etc. After this incident, they massively cut back on what Disney security was and was not allowed to do, also massively altering their appearance (giving them the "ice cream salesmen" costumes you see today, changing the light bars, etc).

You were a cast member, what you saw is what you saw. I have no clue what you did, but it had nothing to do with Disney security. Most cast members can't even spot a plain clothes security officer. Yes, OCSO has been at Disney since they opened. They were not in the public view until 2007. You are talking about a difference of 12 to 15 officers waiting back stage to over 100 on a shift. Yes OSCO working at Disney are paid by Orange County but Disney pays for this. They are 100% under the direction of Disney. They share OCSO band 9 which is a shared frequency between Disney security higher officers and OCSO. They park where Disney tells them, they go where Disney details them, and they interact with guests in the way Disney wants. That is what I meant by paid by Disney. I am a retired police officer who retired to Florida and ended up being very bored and running a hotel. I am very good friends with the leaders of security at Disney Springs and to a lesser part at MK because 2 higher ranking people I know well got transferred there. I no longer live in FL (but I will be back :) ) Family called and I had to move back north. The 7 years I lived in Kissimmee I was a reserve officer for the Osceola County Sheriffs Police. Pretty sure I know my facts and am not guessing like you are.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Whatever you want to call it, it's still theater. If/when someone truly wants to create mass destruction in Disney World, they're not going to go through the front gates at a park to do it.

Your theory may have some merit, but only if they did not also have security/surveillance around the remaining perimeter of the parks. If someone could sneak in at a location other than the front entrance, that's an issue

Regardless, I'm glad that they have security at the front entrance, because I'll bet they've identified some dangerous individuals (and that's just in general terms, not necessarily the mass destruction lunatics). There's all kinds of threats to the public, and police and security forces are trained to look for certain patterns.

Cake

There are armed Orange County deputies at the entrances to all of the parks so there will be no delay in law enforcement responding.

Misinformed. Cops response time is after the crime has been committed. Cops don’t prevent criminals from doing bad things against good people. Indeed, the SCOTUS determined cops are not obligated to protect citizens, but they are to find out who committed the crime.

peter11435

Misinformed. Cops response time is after the crime has been committed. Cops don’t prevent criminals from doing bad things against good people. Indeed, the SCOTUS determined cops are not obligated to protect citizens, but they are to find out who committed the crime.
I never said the deputies would prevent a crime from being committed. I was pointing out that they are already at the main entrances so it would not take several minutes for them to arrive on the scene.

Cake

It's security theater because the entire thing is done under the implication of protecting us from terrorism, when it does no such thing.

Yes, yes, a few people have been prevented from bringing guns in - but there is no evidence they were intending to do anything with them. It's just those idiots who think they have to carry one everywhere. I don't want them in there, either, and I think those people are sad, fearful souls, but there is no evidence anyone was protected from anything.

If Disney were actually serious they would be at the very least swabbing, if not thoroughly inspecting, every stroller brought in. You could get an arsenal in there with some of those SUV sized things.

That said, as we just learned from Vegas - the front gate of the parks is not where the security really needs to be worried about if they are trying to prevent some mass shooting.

I never said the deputies would prevent a crime from being committed. I was pointing out that they are already at the main entrances so it would not take several minutes for them to arrive on the scene.

Proving my point, that lawful, armed citizens are your first and best defense.

TrojanUSC

Proving my point, that lawful, armed citizens are your first and best defense.

The worst possible thing that could happen in an active shooting at a theme park is a lot more armed people. Can you imagine the pandemonium? Nobody would know their left from their right and I certainly wouldn't trust multiple "good guys with guns" to be able to pick the correct shooter (what if they mistakenly believe its one of the other "good guys with guns") and then hit their target in a crowd of people. It would be a true disaster. Add to that, when law enforcement does arrive on scene moments later, you will probably be the first person shot, as they mistake you for the shooter.

There's been lots of instances of people with guns being involved in mass shootings but few successful incidents of anybody being stopped by a "good guy with a gun."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._end_to_the_nra_good_guy_with_a_gun_line.html

jimbojones

Your theory may have some merit, but only if they did not also have security/surveillance around the remaining perimeter of the parks. If someone could sneak in at a location other than the front entrance, that's an issue

Regardless, I'm glad that they have security at the front entrance, because I'll bet they've identified some dangerous individuals (and that's just in general terms, not necessarily the mass destruction lunatics). There's all kinds of threats to the public, and police and security forces are trained to look for certain patterns.
security does not stop a determined and well thought out attack, but it does deter the person who loses it one day or wakes up with some bad ideas. That is still something and sometimes you need to accept that "good" is the best your going to get when "perfect" is impossible.

Driver

The worst possible thing that could happen in an active shooting at a theme park is a lot more armed people. Can you imagine the pandemonium? Nobody would know their left from their right and I certainly wouldn't trust multiple "good guys with guns" to be able to pick the correct shooter (what if they mistakenly believe its one of the other "good guys with guns") and then hit their target in a crowd of people. It would be a true disaster. Add to that, when law enforcement does arrive on scene moments later, you will probably be the first person shot, as they mistake you for the shooter.

There's been lots of instances of people with guns being involved in mass shootings but few successful incidents of anybody being stopped by a "good guy with a gun."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._end_to_the_nra_good_guy_with_a_gun_line.html
In case I am misunderstanding your post are you referring to specifically mass shooting and good guy with a gun being not successful? Because in the case of "good guy" being effective in other situations there are literally tens of thousands of documented cases of "good guys" saving lives. Problem is the liberal media doesn't want to talk about that. They just want to show the public the bad. And according to FBI reports ( don't have the article handy sorry) permitted citizens are less likely to be in a shooting incident gone bad than a LEO. Which is pretty impressive considering how permitted citizens outnumber LEO. And I'm not trying to take anything away from LEO's they have a crazy difficult job. That is getting worse instead of better, and in all fairness they have more potential for exposure to these things because they are first responders. And too often have a split second to make a decision that will / can change so many lives including their own. Yet lawyers will spend months analyzing those actions to try and figure out a way to prosecute these men and women who are trying their best to keep us safe. It's not fair, the knee jerk reaction is more laws. You can't legislate against evil! And killing and/or armed robbery etc. is already illegal! The laws don't stop the criminals they don't obey laws that's why they're criminals!!!

Scuttle

I'd like to add that I've never been pulled aside. It's most certainly due to my profound handsomeness and captivating smile.

Okay. And you have absolutely no way of knowing that security hasn't protected the parks from an attack. Sorry, I can't agree that security is useless.
It's useless for deterring someone hellbent on getting into the park. Plenty of swamp for a determined psycho to wade through to get into the Magic Kingdom. It also wouldn't be hard to go up for a photo tour in a Cessna 172 take care of the flight instructor real quick and then crash the plane into a populated area. Point is if a determined lunatic wants in they are getting in. There's just no way they can secure every park around the entire perimeter.

Scuttle

There's no way the Magic Kingdom's perimeter is completely secure.

Scuttle

My point was that that is the only very specific thing that the security might accomplish due to the size of a rifle. I can guarantee that if someone was motivated they could get pretty much anything else in. Even with x-ray scanners the TSA misses stuff in their own tests. Without them the bag checks are useless.
The TSA fails the undercover tests routinely.

Scuttle

How early do the ones at Universal open? We were there a couple years ago, and we always got to the entrance of CityWalk from Royal Pacific before 6am (7am early morning access). There was never security there to check our bags - we walked on by. Found out they didn't start until 6am. Even the CityWalk employees were already there sweeping and hosing the the cement.
Well if that doesn't prove its theater I don't know what else will.
That was my point. I was saying that the TSA has x-ray scanners and still misses stuff. The Disney bag checks are certainly useless without x-rays.
I know I was just quoting for truth.;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom