Disney World Law Enforcement Spending Increases

JohnD

Original Poster
I guess we shouldn't find this surprising.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/disney-world-law-enforcement-spending-increases

There is this little nugget at the end:

Some Disney World visitors feel the presence of law enforcement injects a bit too much reality into the resort's crafted fantasy world.

"It's a little bit concerning that they think they need that much security. You're walking around and you see the cops and wonder, 'Why are there so many cops?'" said Geavin Channels, a frequent park-goer from Ocala. "It gives you that brief moment of anxiety."

But others, like Aimee Olmedo, try not to let security concerns distract them from their vacations.

"I don't think about those type of incidents," said Olmedo, who was visiting the resort from Phoenix with her family. "I think (the law enforcement presence) is great if it makes people feel safe."
Put me in the latter category. I'm grateful for their presence.

Donfan

Just back from the World and very glad to see that they have installed metal detecting body scanner type devices at all the parks and that the visible presence of Disney security has increased. They caused no problems for anyone that we could see on our entire trip and it's good to know they are out there if you need them.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That's an expensive bill to pay -- no wonder gate prices are outstripping inflation.

And that article will answer the speculation about a specific threat to WDW (if they hadn't seen it already)...

No Name

Rediculous. Every single person needs to go through them. Every single person goes through them at SeaWorld, Universal, and some local amusement parks. I understand Disney's running a larger business, but that actually puts them at a greater danger in my opinion, and so they need to get security up to par. Also, aside from possibly letting a weapon in unchecked, the random selection thing can be kind of prejudicial.

Thought that was the point of the metal detectors before the monorail, no?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Rediculous. Every single person needs to go through them. Every single person goes through them at SeaWorld, Universal, and some local amusement parks. I understand Disney's running a larger business, but that actually puts them at a greater danger in my opinion, and so they need to get security up to par. Also, aside from possibly letting a weapon in unchecked, the random selection thing can be kind of prejudicial.

Its odd indeed. DL has everyone go through as well.

rocketraccoon

I'm sure we'll see everyone go through within a year once it's all set up. A lot of it feels very temporary still.

The metal detectors before the monorail give them more room to work with and clear up the front gate of MK. If Universal had their bag check and metal detectors at the entrance to the park and not CityWalk it'd be a nightmare.

hokielutz

Gah, Universal Studios Hollywood has figured this out; why can't Disney?

Do you want to give Disney another excuse to raise prices further by enforcing TSA type entry security on everyone who comes to the parks?? Random security checks are meant to help remind/deter anyone from bringing something they shouldn't into the parks. Bags are checked 100%
I don't see that big of a deal with the random entry screening. They pulled me in over 50% of the time during my Sept visit.

andre85

Do you want to give Disney another excuse to raise prices further by enforcing TSA type entry security on everyone who comes to the parks??
I don't see that big of a deal with the random entry screening. They pulled me in over 50% of the time during my Sept visit.

It's more TSA-like as is with its "random" selection process. There's little less magical than being pulled away from your family and friends for a "random" screen. USH's method ensures EVERYONE is on equal ground and no one feels singled out.

I personally think the entire things is a waste of time, energy, and money for multiple reasons, but if you're going to do it, do it right like at USH (which doesn't charge Disney World prices, btw)

matt9112

meh I agree use them if they are therr but if you think they make you magically safe your also wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom