News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

There's always the point where for some jobs it's more cost effective to automate than to continue increasing wages for repetitive functions.

Workers compensation affect bottom line and staff work related injuries to include lost time work and health care costs into hundreds or thousands of dollars.

ppete1975

At Coronado Springs there is a robot that goes in the pool areas to clean the debris at the bottom of the pools .
These are the kind of jobs that i think should be automated. A robot can do a much better job, more often and much safer.
Honestly i think most jobs that are underwater regardless of depth a robot is a great choice, so is chip manufacturing and welds that are super super precise. I would like to see windows on skyscrapers have robotic window washers as well.

Walmart self checkout, bots that replace people (software based), Robots that just replace people for cost savings, anything made by Skynet, not as necessary.

Although i would love an ironing bot that went into the wall when not used. Or a laundry bot that went into the wall.

1672237465892.png
1672237495114.png

eliza61nyc

Jobs have been automated since the dawn of time, whenever it is feasible to do so.

It happened before, it's happening now, and will happen in the future no matter what people are paid.

Blaming living wages for automation is just a talking point designed to justify paying people as little as possible.

And the same could be said for forcing companies to pay "living" wages to historically low wage jobs simply because someone shows up is also a talking point.

Lilofan

These are the kind of jobs that i think should be automated. A robot can do a much better job, more often and much safer.
Honestly i think most jobs that are underwater regardless of depth a robot is a great choice, so is chip manufacturing and welds that are super super precise. I would like to see windows on skyscrapers have robotic window washers as well.

Walmart self checkout, bots that replace people (software based), Robots that just replace people for cost savings, anything made by Skynet, not as necessary.

Although i would love an ironing bot that went into the wall when not used. Or a laundry bot that went into the wall.

View attachment 688216 View attachment 688217
A robot won’t be late to work , works without taking a vacation, won’t get hurt on the job and company doesn’t have to pay for workers comp , won’t complain about low pay, won’t slack off and disappear from their workplace , won’t drag the employer to HR for issues, employer can increase robot productivity without raising robot pay and other reasons.

eliza61nyc

Agreed.

And threatening people who want a living wage (aka adequate compensation for their time and work) with “no job at all” because of automation is so dehumanizing it is beyond my comprehension.

It's not a threat at all. Adequate for what? Minimum wage is absolutely an adequate wage for certain jobs.
Personally I think it's a sad commentary on today's mentality of mediocrity that we no longer have incentive to "move up".

"living wage" is a talking point and unrealistic. I lived in NYC and Philadelphia, I think it's more dehumanizing to feed a burger flipper some nonsense about getting a "living" wage then truthfully telling them that is it a low wage, entry level position. I remember my first job at mcdonalds', lol and I thought I was making "big" money, I am so thankful my mom politely sat me down and informed me clearly that staying in Mcdonalds was not an option, nor a career goal unless I wanted to spend my life in abject poverty. More importantly she told me it's was not Mcdonalds responsibility to ensure I obtain a decent living standard, that was my responsibility.

Last edited:

Lilofan

It's not a threat at all. Adequate for what? Minimum wage is absolutely an adequate wage for certain jobs.
Personally I think it's a sad commentary on today's mentality of mediocrity that we no longer have incentive to "move up".

"living wage" is a talking point and unrealistic. I lived in NYC and Philadelphia, I think it's more dehumanizing to feed a burger flipper some nonsense about getting a "living" wage then truthfully telling them that is it a low wage, entry level position. I remember my first job at mcdonalds', lol and I thought I was making "big" money, I am so thankful my mom politely sat me down and informed me clearly that staying in Mcdonalds was not an option, nor a career goal unless I wanted to spend my life in abject poverty. More importantly she told me it's was not Mcdonalds responsibility to ensure I obtain a decent living standard, that was my responsibility.
Wished I bought a lot of McDonalds stock in 1985 at $3 per share and held on . It’s currently at $267 per share.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
dehumanizing it is beyond my comprehension
What's really dehumanizing is telling an individual their only lot in life is making $20 flipping burgers at the local fast food joint. People like you have ruined the work ethic of an entire generation by brainwashing them into thinking they deserve to be paid a "living wage." If you want to make more money, find a better job. That's the reason I quit working for Disney (a truly horrible company btw) because I knew I deserved to make more than $11 an hour. It's also the reason I am making plans to leave teaching at the end of this school year, because I deserve to make more than $40k. It's called taking responsibility for your life, something a lot of people in this thread have no idea or intention of ever doing because they're stuck in the Peter Pan phase in perpetuity.

eliza61nyc

Wished I bought a lot of McDonalds stock in 1985 at $3 per share and held on . It’s currently at $267 per share.
so my oldest brother was a mcdonald's franchiser for over 20 years. He went into the navy back in ye olden days lol (1975) stayed 12 years and when he came out, mcdonalds had incentives for veterans and minorities to buy in. Definitely a hard job, he always complain that he never got a true day off.
One thing that I was and am proud of was that he always encouraged and helped his employees to "do better". he was brutally honest with them that a fry cook is not a "real" job. lol we're old, back in the day you didn't have to be "correct" because everyone was so sensitive. He helped a lot of his employees go to college and said that if you were working for him for 10 years something was wrong. we talk a lot about the entire "living wage" argument.

Unfortunately now it's so darn expensive to get a mcdonald's franchise, yeesh

lol if I ever get a time machine I'll come grab you. Mcdonald's, microsoft and apple stock could set us up for life. ;)

TrainsOfDisney

People like you have ruined the work ethic of an entire generation by brainwashing them into thinking they deserve to be paid a "living wage."
Your welcome :) - I’m glad if I’ve helped people know that their time is worth fair compensation:)
If you want to make more money, find a better job.
Many are… that’s why there is such a lack of employees for “low wage” jobs. The whole thing is blowing up in these company faces and I love seeing it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Jobs have been automated since the dawn of time, whenever it is feasible to do so.

It happened before, it's happening now, and will happen in the future no matter what people are paid.

Blaming living wages for automation is just a talking point designed to justify paying people as little as possible.

Its not blaming anything, it's stating the economic reality that machines that do repetitive functions can over time be less expensive than a human. You are trying to make the claim that all labor is worth the same remuneration...its not.

TrainsOfDisney

You are trying to make the claim that all labor is worth the same remuneration...its not.
Nobody is making that claim.

All labor is worth fair compensation.

Now how to decide what is “fair” is tricky but the CEO shouldn’t make 542 times more than other full time employees in a “fair” system in my opinion.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
What's really dehumanizing is telling an individual their only lot in life is making $20 flipping burgers at the local fast food joint. People like you have ruined the work ethic of an entire generation by brainwashing them into thinking they deserve to be paid a "living wage." If you want to make more money, find a better job. That's the reason I quit working for Disney (a truly horrible company btw) because I knew I deserved to make more than $11 an hour. It's also the reason I am making plans to leave teaching at the end of this school year, because I deserve to make more than $40k. It's called taking responsibility for your life, something a lot of people in this thread have no idea or intention of ever doing because they're stuck in the Peter Pan phase in perpetuity.

Congratulations! Trying to pry some people away from the Peter Pan life and make them face economic reality can be really painful. Disney isn't the only company or institution that attempts to sell people into an economic system. Look at lots of the so-called institutions of "higher learning" degree programs which cost tuition alone more than available jobs in that field pay (if they even exist). Add to that the availability of subsidized loans that can be used to pay for a lifestyle during that time period and you get a rather large debt trap that many have fallen into.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Now how to decide what is “fair” is tricky but the CEO shouldn’t make 542 times more than other full time employees in a “fair” system in my opinion.

I don't see roving press gangs in the Orlando area trapping unsuspecting passers-by into a life of servitude at Disney, Universal, or Seaworld. Florida is an employment-at-will state so people can choose to work for whatever level of compensation, that's why you see a plethora of help wanted signs as people are participating in the labor pool and making those choices to work somewhere else for higher wages.

eliza61nyc

Now how to decide what is “fair” is tricky but the CEO shouldn’t make 542 times more than other full time employee cs in a “fair” system in my opinion.
why not? he/she may be doing 542 times the work or his work maybe more valuable? seriously? fair compensation is based on the job NOT the amount of time. It could be that the CEO job is more valuable than the ticket taker to the business.
Next, you can't compare all jobs unilateral. Fair compensation is based on similar jobs in that area. A guy sweeping hte floor is never ever going to be able to compare his salary to a ceo and in no way should he be. I don't care if he works 80 hours a week and bleeds for the company.

lol, I'm fighting this battle with my millennials who for some reason think that just because they rolled outta bed and showed up they somehow should be making hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Last edited:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Many are… that’s why there is such a lack of employees for “low wage” jobs.
As they should! Working a minimum wage job was never meant to be a lifelong endeavor. I applaud the people who are smart enough to realize they're worth more than what they're getting paid.
Add to that the availability of subsidized loans that can be used to pay for a lifestyle during that time period and you get a rather large debt trap that many have fallen into.
Unfortunately I can attest to this because I fell in this trap when I was a young 23 year old. I thought it would be smart to pile off to Central Florida for graduate school as an out of state student, and sustain my education working for Disney. Boy what a wake up call!! Now, almost 8 years later, I have no Master's degree but I sure did learn how to plunge myself into debt 😂

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
You mean like teachers?
Speaking from experience, most teachers that graduate from a college of education (in high school at least) are practically incompetent at their jobs. I have a BA in English and went back through an accelerated licensure program to earn my teaching credentials and I'm an infinitely better educator than my peers with a education degree with a couple literature credits attached. Until colleges start producing more intellectual educators, the pay needs to stay low imo.

celluloid

Your welcome :) - I’m glad if I’ve helped people know that their time is worth fair compensation:)

Many are… that’s why there is such a lack of employees for “low wage” jobs. The whole thing is blowing up in these company faces and I love seeing it.
So people are moving onto better situations for jobs that treat them better and pay them a more competitive and fair wage?
You might say they got what they see as a..."Real Job"
Ironically, that is what the employed mean when they left to go get a better one.

I think you took offense and wanted to challenge a term that you actually have shown to agree with its use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom