News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

thomas998

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It’s called economics
I believe he is referring to the role that unions played in worker protections, child labor, etc. I do agree a lot of that led to labor laws that now provide those protections (real protection) at either a federal or state level, which makes much of what labor unions do (or used to do) obsolete.

JoeCamel

It’s called economics
Its called humanity, no more child labor, minimum wage such as it may be, workplace safety.....

Coal barrons made plenty of money using children, company towns etc but pass it on to those who made it for them? Not until unions and still because of unions

child2.jpg
child.jpg

thomas998

Inflation is temporary. Will the salaries go back down when everything gets back to normal?
That's the funny thing about price increases, they go up if the wind blows the wrong way across a CEO's golf swing... but to go down? Well that's a different story. Just look at how slow gas prices are to fall back where they should be based on the cost of crude oil. In 1980's crude bounced around 120 to 140 a barrel... versus today where it is under 100... but gasoline in 1980 was 1.22 a gallon yet now with lower crude prices it is almost 3 times as expensive. Oil companies like ever other company love to raise prices to cover any cost increase no matter how transient it might be... but when the expense passes they always decide they would rather just keep as much profit as they can instead of lowering prices back where they were before the transient event.

EricsBiscuit

I believe he is referring to the role that unions played in worker protections, child labor, etc. I do agree a lot of that led to labor laws that now provide those protections (real protection) at either a federal or state level, which makes much of what labor unions do (or used to do) obsolete.

Its called humanity, no more child labor, minimum wage such as it may be, workplace safety.....

Coal barrons made plenty of money using children, company towns etc but pass it on to those who made it for them? Not until unions and still because of unions

View attachment 683932View attachment 683933
Increases in productivity afforded the increases in wages and improvements in working conditions that made child labor obsolete.

JoeCamel

Increases in productivity afforded the increases in wages and improvements in working conditions that made child labor obsolete.
BS, no action without being forced just like today. Big oil is choosing to buy back 50B in shares while keeping development the same. This is where your big money goes. Not into growing the business but into lining the pockets of investors.

EricsBiscuit

BS, no action without being forced just like today. Big oil is choosing to buy back 50B in shares while keeping development the same. This is where your big money goes. Not into growing the business but into lining the pockets of investors.
I’m glad you brought up big oil. John D Rockefeller paid his employees very well and made massive improvements that made nighttime lighting extremely affordable for every American. Now it is a mature industry. So, let’s think for a moment. What do investors do with a return from their investment? Hmmmm. Oh! I know! They REINVEST it somewhere else! Wow! What an idea!

Lilofan

I’m glad you brought up big oil. John D Rockefeller paid his employees very well and made massive improvements that made nighttime lighting extremely affordable for every American. Now it is a mature industry. So, let’s think for a moment. What do investors do with a return from their investment? Hmmmm. Oh! I know! They REINVEST it somewhere else! Wow! What an idea!
I reinvest and buy more shares in the domestic and international markets monthly regardless of share price for 30 plus years. What compounding interest can do to grow one’s nest egg.

TrainsOfDisney

Every place is a crappy place to work, that's why they pay you to be there. If it was awesomsauce, you'd do it for free and it would be called a hobby.
If that’s your life experience than I feel really sorry for you. The majority of my jobs have been amazing and hardly felt like work at all. My current job is honestly the best yet.

Life’s too short to work a job you don’t like.

CaptainAmerica

If that’s your life experience than I feel really sorry for you. The majority of my jobs have been amazing and hardly felt like work at all. My current job is honestly the best yet.

I have zero desire to find fulfillment in my job. My goal is to make as much money as I can, in as few hours as I can, and retire as young as I can. My actual life consists of my wife and children and they're not in my office.

dreday3

My job is fine. I mostly have things I dislike about it, a couple of decent things I do like. But it's life and I have to work to pay my bills and to live quite frankly.
If you are lucky enough to be one of those people who love their jobs, good for you! Circumstances in life didn't allow me to go for my "dream career" when I was younger, so I chose the one that would sustain me financially. And it's worked out fine. But I don't love or really even like it.
I work to live, not live to work. When I'm done for the day I'm done and don't give it another thought. And companies today, they don't give their employees another thought either.

RobWDW1971

What do you consider a real job and what do you consider a fake job?
Pretty sure the entire point of the post this was clipped from explains that, but again, if you have a job a teenager walking off the street can do with a little training, you have a minimum wage job.

You can dress it up, demand respect for your years of loyal service, pretend you do it better than the new hires (I would argue many do it worse then their energetic young counterparts), etc., but you will still be compensated (both financially and in organizational respect) as an entry level teenager with skills that are easily replaced in the marketplace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom