News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

My job is fine. I mostly have things I dislike about it, a couple of decent things I do like. But it's life and I have to work to pay my bills and to live quite frankly.
If you are lucky enough to be one of those people who love their jobs, good for you! Circumstances in life didn't allow me to go for my "dream career" when I was younger, so I chose the one that would sustain me financially. And it's worked out fine. But I don't love or really even like it.
I work to live, not live to work. When I'm done for the day I'm done and don't give it another thought. And companies today, they don't give their employees another thought either.
Some companies such as some Wall Street firms had items like car service ( after a 15 hour day the taxi takes the analyst home at company expense ) and 3 meals catered a day in the office . The firm didn't want you to leave work for a break , ate while in the office with fellow peers. 80-100 hours a week but 6 to 7 figure annual compensation .

TrainsOfDisney

Pretty sure the entire point of the post this was clipped from explains that, but again, if you have a job a teenager walking off the street can do with a little training, you have a minimum wage job.

You can dress it up, demand respect for your years of loyal service, pretend you do it better than the new hires (I would argue many do it worse then their energetic young counterparts), etc., but you will still be compensated (both financially and in organizational respect) as an entry level teenager with skills that are easily replaced in the marketplace.
That didn’t answer my question at all.

So all cashiers across America have “fake” jobs?

celluloid

What do you consider a real job and what do you consider a fake job?
I would not look too much into it. Better choice of words could have been used by that poster perhaps, but most people use that phrase as a slang for a career with obvious career ladders and salary that matches the average to support one and a small family with benefits.

People say wrestling is fake. We know what they mean, they should say scripted. The stunts and physical activities are real.

celluloid

If you work 40 hours a week you have the definition of a full time job. That’s a real job, period.

Yes, it is real work. It is a real job, but when people say "real job" they typically mean a job that can be sustainable. Sadly there are many that are not. Don't look at it as invalidating the worker, but a critique on the employer.

It is a real job, and if you cannot survive on it after working consistently 40 plus hours a week by yourself without any unreasonable expenses going on to sustain, than it is a REAL bad situation, period.

Again. I would not get hung up on the slang that poster used.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

RobWDW1971

That didn’t answer my question at all.

So all cashiers across America have “fake” jobs?
You are only quoting yourself as I never used that word.

If the concept of my post is still too confusing for you to grasp, I don't know what to tell you.

If your are stumbling on the colloquialism "real job", then I assume you are a minor and not in the workforce or you are being intentionally dimwitted for some odd reason.

And to address your example, cashiers have entry-level jobs that require minimum training and should expect (union or non-union) to be compensated accordingly.

Lilofan

Yes, it is real work. It is a real job, but when people say "real job" they typically mean a job that can be sustainable. Sadly there are many that are not. Don't look at it as invalidating the worker, but a critique on the employer.

It is a real job, and if you cannot survive on it after working consistently 40 plus hours a week by yourself without any unreasonable expenses going on to sustain, than it is a REAL bad situation, period.

Again. I would not get hung up on the slang that poster used.
Ways to make it happen , - work OT, get a second job, reevaluate your living situation, get roomates, brown bag to work, sell stuff you don't need, cut out more discretionary spending, eat at home instead of out, etc. Knew a peer who complained about his 40 hours but refused to work available OT because he wanted to enjoy his days off. No sympathy from me.

eliza61nyc

There's always the point where for some jobs it's more cost effective to automate than to continue increasing wages for repetitive functions.

And that's the danger of everyone screaming they deserve to make 25/hr. I called this when everyone started screaming "living wages" .
Lol I was in a target over the holidays and saw one that had a automatic floor cleaner robot-thing

TrainsOfDisney

If the concept of my post is still too confusing for you to grasp, I don't know what to tell you.

If your are stumbling on the colloquialism "real job", then I assume you are a minor and not in the workforce or you are being intentionally dimwitted for some odd reason.

And to address your example, cashiers have entry-level jobs that require minimum training and should expect (union or non-union) to be compensated accordingly.
I see you are now stooping to calling me names and insulting my intelligence. Tells me a lot about you.

You are the one that claimed you got a “real job” after leaving your employment with Disney. I was asking you to clarify what is a real job and what is a fake job.

Californian Elitist

The point was to challenge that dated and tired colloquial phrase.

RobWDW1971

I see you are now stooping to calling me names and insulting my intelligence. Tells me a lot about you.

You are the one that claimed you got a “real job” after leaving your employment with Disney. I was asking you to clarify what is a real job and what is a fake job.
Fair enough. If that is what you are taking away from this discussion then I stand corrected and retract my use of "intentionally" in the post above.

If you would like to play pointless word games to make yourself or others feel better, that is fine with me.

Apparently, you are triggered by the common phrase "real job", so please feel free to choose any expression that means the opposite of "entry level, low skill, minimum wage, lower value in the marketplace, etc.".

If you would like a popcorn vendor to declare themselves "Chief Distribution and Revenue Officer", makes no difference to me, but employers will still pay the minimum required to get that level of talent/skills to do the job regardless of how long you do it.

Wendy Pleakley

And that's the danger of everyone screaming they deserve to make 25/hr. I called this when everyone started screaming "living wages" .
Lol I was in a target over the holidays and saw one that had a automatic floor cleaner robot-thing

Jobs have been automated since the dawn of time, whenever it is feasible to do so.

It happened before, it's happening now, and will happen in the future no matter what people are paid.

Blaming living wages for automation is just a talking point designed to justify paying people as little as possible.

RobWDW1971

And threatening people who want a living wage (aka adequate compensation for their time and work) with “no job at all” because of automation is so dehumanizing it is beyond my comprehension.

Automation is not a "threat", it is the reality of the marketplace, economics, and progress.

If you have a job that can be easily eliminated by automation, you need to quickly find another job or be prepared for the economic reality that awaits you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom