News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

Your welcome :) - I’m glad if I’ve helped people know that their time is worth fair compensation:)

Many are… that’s why there is such a lack of employees for “low wage” jobs. The whole thing is blowing up in these company faces and I love seeing it.
Those low wage jobs can be easily filled with individuals new to our great country. It is just that little item requiring a social security card and other documentation that gets in the way in the application process.

TrainsOfDisney

So people are moving onto better situations for jobs that treat them better and pay them a more competitive and fair wage?
You might say they got what they see as a..."Real Job"
Ironically, that is what the employed mean when they left to go get a better one.

I think you took offense and wanted to challenge a term that you actually have shown to agree with its use.
No that’s not my point at all. I think working at Disney World (and anywhere else) is a real job and should be fairly compensated.

Lilofan

No that’s not my point at all. I think working at Disney World (and anywhere else) is a real job and should be fairly compensated.
Sure, raise the wages and that $13 undercooked reheated Fred Flinstone size turkey leg at MK will cost more . Higher wages will be passed onto us the consumer in higher pricing.

lazyboy97o

Excuse no, reality yes.
No, it’s a lame, dishonest excuse. You and others want people to think these price increases would be dramatic and very noticeable when they absolutely would not. The required price increases are so small as to be negligible, there’s absolutely no point in mentioning other than to try to scare people into thinking better pay is not realistically viable.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Ok fine. Walt Disney World employees being paid several dollars more would require across the board price increases measured in cents. Can we retire this trite excuse now?

Cents, indeed. Just doing rough calculations - a $5/hr increase for 55,000 full time CMs amounts to $300 million over 52 weeks. Spread that out and even all the "if I ran a small business" armchair economists could surely get out their fancy calculators and figure out that it wouldn't be some massive increase in labor costs. I don't know how a company with net profits in the billions could handle such an increase. It would shut the place down if they didn't pass all of those on to the consumers in the form of dramatically higher prices across the board.

Lilofan

No, it’s a lame, dishonest excuse. You and others want people to think these price increases would be dramatic and very noticeable when they absolutely would not. The required price increases are so small as to be negligible, there’s absolutely no point in mentioning other than to try to scare people into thinking better pay is not realistically viable.
Higher pay cuts into operating expenses and profits so damn sure I’m raising prices

TrainsOfDisney

The person who applied and agreed and took the job at the time thought it was fair, there is no indentured servitude going on. Freedom. Not easy sometimes, but freedom.
I don’t think anyone suggested there was indentured servitude at Disney - just suggesting that full time Disney cast members should be adequately and fairly paid for their time.

eliza61nyc

Question, how does Disney pay compare to other businesses in the same industry? Is Disney pays calendar competitive to the market, Not to some pie in the sky, they should all be makings a hundred grand but to others in the theme park/amusement park industry?

Didn't the unions successfully negotiate for a 15/hrs minimum in 2018??

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Not to some pie in the sky, they should all be makings a hundred grand but to others in the theme park/amusement park industry?
I haven’t seen anyone suggest $100k per year as a starting salary for WDW CM’s. Half of that, which is $50k = $24 per hour for a 40 hour work week.

The Union is asking for even less… $20 an hour which = $41,600.
Didn't the unions successfully negotiate for a 15/hrs minimum in 2018??
Yes. That was 5 years ago. Times change.

eliza61nyc

I haven’t seen anyone suggest $100k per year as a starting salary for WDW CM’s. Half of that, which is $50k = $24 per hour for a 40 hour work week.

Yes. That was 5 years ago. Times change.
Times always change, which is why this every position no matter what has to pay liveable wage NEVER works. It's never been sustainable.

Just a brief Google search which brought me to ziprecruiter and Purdue university a person with one kid in Orlando to live comfortably needs to make at least 34/hrs. I don't live there so I cannot give an opinion if it's accurate and of course the whole argument is subjective.
The site living wage says 1 adult, 0 kids would be able to get by at 18.19 hr.

Hey I'm all for the union negotiating the best salary they can for their members, but I'm also a big proponent of self determination and personal responsibility. Entry level positions no matter how many hours you work are for the most part, bottom of the payscale and no just because you show up everyday does not change the nature of the job.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Great! We are on the same page then. WDW CM’s deserve better pay. Glad we agree!

Oh hey, lol that's an easy one for me , I think everyone deserves better pay. Now do I think they should get "liveable " wages?? That's an entirely different animal.

Unions are supposed to do the best they can for their members and Disney is supposed to do the best they can for their shareholders

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom