News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

TrainsOfDisney

Now do I think they should get "liveable " wages?? That's an entirely different animal.
Well by definition - you should be able to live off a full time salary - so everyone deserves liveable wage for a full time job.

Now what = livable gets subjective.

I think a full time job should pay at least $40k a year which is $19.25 an hour. That should be the National minnimum wage in my opinion.

Smiley/OCD

I haven’t seen anyone suggest $100k per year as a starting salary for WDW CM’s. Half of that, which is $50k = $24 per hour for a 40 hour work week.

Yes. That was 5 years ago. Times change.
If that’s what you’re really suggesting, i.e. paying ALL full time cast members 50k, then I will tell you that thru attrition and union concessions, full time positions will be reduced to an ABSOLUTE bare minimum.

My last retail management position was with the largest “dollar” chain in the US. They started EVERY associate at the state’s minimum wage. Even assistant managers are hourly part time to save on medical benefits and to save payroll.

Regardless of whether you think it’s right, earned, moral or fair, it’s not going to happen. I worked my entire adult life (and then some) in retail and retail management and this industry will just find other means to circumvent hiring full time employees.

Since you got me on my soap box, my grandfather came to the US from Eastern Europe at the beginning of the 20th century as a tailor. He and my grandmother each worked 3 menial jobs, but put food on the table and raised 4 children in the midst of the depression and NEVER accepted a handout (a fact they always prided themselves on).

My grandfather, the tailor, was very instrumental in forming trade unions to put a stop to the sweat shops that proliferated that industry during that time period. As a result, my dad and my uncle were staunch “union men” in their blue collar AT&T jobs. As I got older, I had MANY heated discussions with them about labor unions. Every time a contract came up, the unions wanted more perks in addition to a raise. Again, businesses are in business to make money. What happened? All those lifelong blue collar jobs went to Mexico then Japan then China. All the tech jobs started getting outsourced to other countries as well.

I ABSOLUTELY believe that labor unions were an essential part of what made this country so great during the twentieth century. Now, I’m not on that same bandwagon. Because technology allows news to travel in seconds, information about indiscretions move too fast and public opinion can ruin a corporation faster that a labor walkout.
I saw what my dad experienced before he retired and he always said that the way the rank and file were treated by their unions left such a bitter taste in his mouth, he used to say that the only thing unions did well was to protect bad employees from getting fired.

It definitely made me think…

TrainsOfDisney

If that’s what you’re really suggesting, i.e. paying ALL full time cast members 50k, then I will tell you that thru attrition and union concessions, full time positions will be reduced to an ABSOLUTE bare minimum.
No I was saying $50k is half of $100k - I was responding to a post that implied that me and others think all CM’s should be paid $100k.

I do think all full time CM’s should make at least $40k, which is almost exactly what the Union is trying to negotiate.

Lilofan

No I was saying $50k is half of $100k - I was responding to a post that implied that me and others think all CM’s should be paid $100k.

I do think all full time CM’s should make at least $40k, which is almost exactly what the Union is trying to negotiate.
The Yeti at AK will be fixed before all F/T cast start at $40K. Perhaps some believe that in Disney , dreams can come true.

Smiley/OCD

Ok, 40k…I’m sorry, that’s not gonna happen either…BUT, I admire your tenacity.

Smiley/OCD

That’s literally what the Union is asking for. $20 an hour starting wage. ($41,600 per year based on 40 hour work week).
Then mark my words, through attrition, the numbers of F/T cast members will be reduced. I’m not going to apologize, but NO ONE serving my dole whip, selling Mr Toad popcorn buckets or putting the tape down on Main Street for the 3:00 parade need or deserve 40k/yr

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Question, how does Disney pay compare to other businesses in the same industry? Is Disney pays calendar competitive to the market, Not to some pie in the sky, they should all be makings a hundred grand but to others in the theme park/amusement park industry?

Didn't the unions successfully negotiate for a 15/hrs minimum in 2018??
Walt Disney World isn’t the same as other parks. It’s a massive, all year operation. It’s not the same as other parks that can scale up and down with seasonal and part time labor. Work you might think should only be part time or for teenagers/young adults simply can’t operate at the required scale limiting itself to that labor pool.

Here’s a question, why do you want lesser service and quality? Why do you want restaurants at Walt Disney World to remain closed? Why do you want more crowding due to reduced staffing? What do you lose by Disney paying its staff more? You can’t say you lose money when the required price increases are negligible, especially compared to price increases that have already occurred.

lazyboy97o

Then mark my words, through attrition, the numbers of F/T cast members will be reduced. I’m not going to apologize, but NO ONE serving my dole whip, selling Mr Toad popcorn buckets or putting the tape down on Main Street for the 3:00 parade need or deserve 40k/yr
Why? If you’re okay with paying a price that can easily support a generous wage and a healthy profit, why take such a position?

Lilofan

That should sit well with the salaried interns making a few thousand dollars more than $40K and they do a wee bit more than selling Toad popcorn buckets.

peter11435

They don’t “need?” Who are you to decide what anyone else needs? Are you paying their rent? Their car insurance? Buying them food?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

And no one working 40 hours a week should earn so little that they qualify for government assistance.

Smiley/OCD

Why? If you’re okay with paying a price that can easily support a generous wage and a healthy profit, why take such a position?
Because it’s too high of a wage for that skill set…same as flipping burgers, pumping gas (in my state), etc. We’ll always disagree…it’s an entry level job. Move up the latter and earn more.
They don’t “need?” Who are you to decide what anyone else needs? Are you paying their rent? Their car insurance? Buying them food?
No I’m not…if I can’t support my life, my rent, my transportation on what I’m making, I find another job in addition to or instead of that pays more.

peter11435

Because it’s too high of a wage for that skill set…same as flipping burgers, pumping gas (in my state), etc. We’ll always disagree…it’s an entry level job. Move up the latter and earn more.
No I’m not…if I can’t support my life, my rent, my transportation on what I’m making, I find another job in addition to or instead of that pays more.
How many hours should someone have to work to afford a one bedroom apartment? People shouldn’t have to spend all of their awake hours working in order to live.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom