News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
It is not mandatory for WDW CMs to be union members and pay weekly dues. Union and non union cast get the same raise and union representation if needed in the work place. The non union cast clearly earn more per year than their union peers.
It's not mandatory, but the stewards will fight a lot less for non-members than they do for members.

Disstevefan1

Correct on all accounts. When I was a CM, it was Sodexo who ran the CM cafeterias and it wasn't cheap. Many a day I would get a cup of ice and some water to eat my PB&J sandwich I brought from home.
What's going on here? With the tons of food WDW buys and prepares every day, CMs cafeterias should be subsidized!!

My father-in-law worked for RCID in the 90s and I remember going backstage and eating in cast cafeteria and the prices did seem subsidized.

Lilofan

It's not mandatory, but the stewards will fight a lot less for non-members than they do for members.
I would think that's the scare tactic - join the union ( optional ) and get better representation. You think the non union cast are foolish enough to fall for this lot less representation tactic if not in union?

mkt

Premium Member
I would think that's the scare tactic - join the union ( optional ) and get better representation. You think the non union cast are foolish enough to fall for this lot less representation tactic if not in union?
It's not a scare tactic. It's something I witnessed and experienced first-hand.

Tony the Tigger

You don't buy new cars as a CM. $400 would get you transportation back then
I can’t feel bad about that. My first new car was last year at age 50. I’ve had better used cars and I’ve had beaters. That’s life.

Just like doing Disney: in the beginning, our biggest expense was the (2-4 day) ticket, and that was a splurge. We stayed in $30 hotels and ate fast food offsite, and brought from home.

I don’t think that was terrible, we had a great time. Eventually we’d have some meals on property. After many years, we stayed at our first moderate resort for a whole 2 nights.

Since then, we’ve stayed at the Grand Flo, dined at V&A, done special events and tours - and we appreciate it all the more because of the times we couldn’t.

I still wouldn’t trade those times.

Just like in life. I started in retail, and even once I got into management, didn’t make much money - but I had friends and we’d go out and drink, dance, karaoke, whatever. I worked 60-80 hours a week and sometimes had to cut cable TV and watch a few channels on my 13” black & white set (and this was in the 90’s.)

Now I own my own store with 2 locations, own our home, married 15 years. Not wealthy, but doing OK and satisfied with my life and the steady progress I’ve made in all areas. It’s a different kind of happy, but both times were happy, and again - I wouldn’t trade those times. I appreciate today all the more.

I understand the 25 year olds. If you had asked me back then, I wouldn’t have had the wisdom nor the perspective to appreciate it at the time. Trust and faith go a long way.

Tony the Tigger

Using "the norm" sounds nice, but we're also talking about a housing market currently facing both a major shortage and a line of higher-wage remote workers from out-of-state trying to get in.

For local earners, metro Orlando is one of the most unaffordable housing markets there is.
Fix it.

mkt

Premium Member
Then address why housing is so high.

No, it’s easier to blame your employer for something they have nothing to do with.
A shortage of housing combined with an excess of demand driven by new residents to the state that earn higher out-of-state salaries.

Rich Brownn

Yes and in 1984 I went to college dirt cheap, what's your point?
By that logic the NYU owes my kids cheap tuition.
This ain't 1975 and we're not going back
My point is wages have not kept up with inflation and that it is not something that is sustainable. Surprisingly going to college is an option. Eating and living with a roof over your head should not be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom