News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

flynnibus

Premium Member

James Alucobond

And my question to you, a Disney park fan.
If all of those people leave for better choices, does the Disney park experience get better or worse?
This speaks to the need to build a solid track of advancement for individual contributors so that the pay ceiling is higher and experience and good job performance are appropriately valued. That doesn’t necessarily have to be tied to increasing the wage floor, though I won’t pretend to know enough about the area to know what the floor should be.

Tony the Tigger

They haven't.
Then there’s another avenue for your fight.
If small startup businesses can show that they are struggling and only making a small profit than absolutely they can apply for a subsidy in order to pay their staff.

But subsidizing Fortune 500 companies? Certainly you’re joking.
I’m ok with something along those lines.
Which is a shame, since the minimum wage since day 1 was intended to be a living wage.
I guess we were all suckers for taking responsibility and working multiple jobs.

Of course, the alternative was homelessness.

RobWDW1971

Sincere question for the people using the term “living wage”:

If today at WDW Casting four people show up and apply for a job as a popcorn vendor on Main Street:

Person 1: An 18 year old living at home with his parents with no debt or bills

Person 2: Single mother of two small children who is the sole supporter and will require childcare when working

Person 3: Married father of four kids with house, cars, kids entering college in two years, and wife stays home to watch kids

Person 4: Retired person who owns house, has minimal debt, and has comfortable pension/investments

What should the hourly wage be for the popcorn vendor?

If all four are hired, what should each of their hourly wages be if different?

Thanks in advance for your specific response.

LittleBuford

You are surprised that basic words that have solid meaning for all of history are suddenly a problem?

Did you just wake up from a coma?
Shifts in language happen all the time and have been happening throughout history (look into the etymology of the word “silly” for a particularly interesting example). If a suitable replacement is found for the rather unflattering “unskilled”, I can’t see the downside.

James Alucobond

Shifts in language happen all the time and have been happening throughout history (look into the etymology of the word “silly” for a particularly interesting example). If a suitable replacement is found for the rather unflattering “unskilled”, I can’t see the downside.
Yes, but that shift hasn't happened. It may happen organically over time as HR departments agree on and establish other terminology and retire old terminology, as it ceases to be used in job reports and whatnot, but that's not the case right now. It is a specific term that means a specific thing without an equally precise existing alternative that wouldn't be something someone here invented on the spot. Low-wage labor is different. Entry-level labor is different.

LittleBuford

Yes, but that shift hasn't happened. It may happen organically over time as HR departments agree on and establish other terminology and retire old terminology, as it ceases to be used in job reports and whatnot, but that's not the case right now. It is a specific term that means a specific thing without an equally precise existing alternative that wouldn't be something someone here invented on the spot. Low-wage labor is different. Entry-level labor is different.
Which is why I said “if a suitable replacement is found”. I realise it hasn’t happened yet, and perhaps it won’t happen at all, but the kneejerk opposition to anything new—whether it be terminology or clothing standards—makes no sense to me. You don’t have to be an expert in history to know that nothing remains fixed for very long. And thank goodness it doesn’t, because progress wouldn’t be possible otherwise.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Sincere question for the people using the term “living wage”:

If today at WDW Casting four people show up and apply for a job as a popcorn vendor on Main Street:

Person 1: An 18 year old living at home with his parents with no debt or bills

Person 2: Single mother of two small children who is the sole supporter and will require childcare when working

Person 3: Married father of four kids with house, cars, kids entering college in two years, and wife stays home to watch kids

Person 4: Retired person who owns house, has minimal debt, and has comfortable pension/investments

What should the hourly wage be for the popcorn vendor?

If all four are hired, what should each of their hourly wages be if different?

Thanks in advance for your specific response.
Those questions are illegal to ask.

flynnibus

Premium Member

How about "no qualifications needed" - NQN

Honestly - this whole thing is about trying to avoid offending someone who can't look in the mirror and acknowledge the criteria of the job.

Sometimes the world just needs to stop trying to pamper people.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Those questions are illegal to ask.
But requirement is a moral one according to living wage advocates. So the outcome is a legit question to ask what you think an employer should be obligated to pay for.

The question just poses the difficult question for the advocates... that not all employees are of the same financial need, even if they are trying to compete for the same job.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
But requirement is a moral one according to living wage advocates. So the outcome is a legit question to ask what you think an employer should be obligated to pay for.

The question just poses the difficult question for the advocates... that not all employees are of the same financial need, even if they are trying to compete for the same job.
Fine.

Living wage for the lowest common denominator. If someone earns more than they need, good for them - let them contribute more to the economy as a consumer.

the_rich

Advocates define a living wage to mean that a person working 40 hours a week, with no additional income, should be able to afford the basics for a modest but decent life, such as, food, shelter, utilities, transport, health care, and child care. And they expand that to a family of four which would be 2 people working full time and 2 kids and being able to afford the same things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom