News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
wow now that's cheap
Yep.

As I've said before, Disney is a notoriously stingy company.

When I was a CM, my pay sucked so bad, that when I needed a pair of shoes for a wedding, I bought them through payroll deduction via the shoemobile, and did a bit of overtime for the next month to cover the temporary pay-cut. This was all so I wouldn't have to pay the money out of pocket up-front.

Trauma

This concern about words and phrasing is fascinating to me. These are basic words that have solid meaning in American English of at least the last 100 years. And suddenly they are impolite? They aren't impolite, but they are honest and clear.

How else to describe a job that can be filled instantly by any 18 year old kid who wanders into the Casting center with at least half a brain on his shoulders, a pleasant demeanor, a basic 9th grade level grasp of English, and math skills that allow him to count back change from a 20?

Then they take that 18 year old kid and put him through two weeks of onboarding and training, and POOF!, he's a Cast Member.

That's an unskilled position. Even if you think the word "unskilled" is not flattering enough. Almost everyone has worked those kind of jobs before, in their teens or early 20's. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's great work/life experience that sets you up for future success!

And if one of your first jobs is at Disney World, you get the benefit of having some great stories and pictures to share in the future!
You are surprised that basic words that have solid meaning for all of history are suddenly a problem?

Did you just wake up from a coma?

Lilofan

Using "the norm" sounds nice, but we're also talking about a housing market currently facing both a major shortage and a line of higher-wage remote workers from out-of-state trying to get in.

For local earners, metro Orlando is one of the most unaffordable housing markets there is.
Rents are high but I would rather be in a Orlando apt complex with my own washer dryer in the unit, central AC and heat , garbage disposal tennis courts, swimming pools, clubhouse with full gym as opposed to a 40 year old apt in parts of the Northeast , baseboard heaters, wall unit AC , common laundry room in another location , no gym, no garbage disposal , no tennis courts, pool clubhouse , street parking if you can find a spot or paid parking in a lot, no full sized gym etc.

TrainsOfDisney

I think the issue some of us have with “unskilled” and “entry level” is how there is an attitude from several members that if you are working an hourly job at Disney Parks for more than a couple of years you don’t “deserve” more pay because it’s your own fault for not moving up in life.

But many of us know people just like that, and encounter them on our visits to the parks. If the entire park was being run by 18-20 year olds it would be a very different experience.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Rents are high but I would rather be in a Orlando apt complex with my own washer dryer in the unit, central AC and heat , garbage disposal tennis courts, swimming pools, clubhouse with full gym as opposed to a 40 year old apt in parts of the Northeast , baseboard heaters, wall unit AC , common laundry room in another location , no gym, no garbage disposal , no tennis courts, pool clubhouse , street parking if you can find a spot or paid parking in a lot, no full sized gym etc.
Both options in the Orlando metro area are stupid expensive.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the issue some of us have with “unskilled” and “entry level” is how there is an attitude from several members that if you are working an hourly job at Disney Parks for more than a couple of years you don’t “deserve” more pay because it’s your own fault for not moving up in life.

It’s not about deserving - it’s about facing reality. You can’t expect jobs to pay more than they can sustain. People can’t just will a job to be worth more without serious consequences.

When the employer values the employee- they encourage them to grow into better roles where their talents can do more… and in turn earn more.

If you sit in place… you can not continue to grow forever — nor can your pay.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

But many of us know people just like that, and encounter them on our visits to the parks. If the entire park was being run by 18-20 year olds it would be a very different experience.
So let me say, and apologize if I'm come across as "callous" . I totally totally admit that I lean strongly toward self reliance and motivation.

So unfortunately in this country there has always been a disconnect between what employees feel they "deserve and fair" and what they receive and unfortunately it is not unique to Disney.

Words like unskilled and entry level are terms that are used and have been used for centuries. they are not new, the folks here usuing them are not being condescending nor should they feel guilty. they describe a certain type of position. General laborers at construction sites are entry level. do they work hard? absolutely. should they be shown respect? again absolutely. are they skilled labor? no they are not. please stop vilifying terms that are very common .

Now I totally admit that I believe that everyone has an active part to make in their life, that we make decisions that effect our life and standard of living and at some point we cannot blame everyone else for our situation. My parents told me constantly "you cannot control others but you can control your responses and your actions". so you work for Disney for 7,8,9 years and you need public assistance to survive, yes I do feel that at some point YOU have to make a change. we have brains that can discern.

so again my question becomes this to a cm. You know the lifestyle you can have with disney, do you think it will get better? if not what are your choices?

And here's the thing @TrainsOfDisney I bet that if you knew the background of a lot of these posters you'd find they absolutely do know how hard it is. I'm willing to bet that all of us had those crappy jobs, maybe not at wdw or DL but those low paying jobs where we knew if we stayed our lives would be hard. We're not blowing smoke from some trust fund.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
a lot of people don’t want to become managers…

That’s fine - but you also accept your potential is limited if you don’t embrace more responsibility.

Become a trainer…. Become a contributor in other ways, etc.

The ‘I don’t want to do more’ attitude is a personal choice- but it comes with realities too.

There are other avenues besides managers.

TrainsOfDisney

I'll admit that I thought the parks ran on mostly p/t young adults and retirees that had other income streams.
There are many positions which actually do pay very well. Landscaping, Chefs, entertainment tech.’s, equity actors and dancers, live musicians, etc.

But the idea that you can fill all of the roles at wdw with P/T adults and retirees is an idea that belongs in Fantasyland.

The ‘I don’t want to do more’ attitude is a personal choice- but it comes with realities too.
Do you think the majority of CM’s don’t want to do more? Most of them want to move up and stay with the company. That’s a bad thing?

lazyboy97o

Good question, have to honestly say I don't know, I'll admit that I thought the parks ran on mostly p/t young adults and retirees that had other income streams.
Walt Disney World has more employees than UCF has students. That’s obviously not all front-facing roles, but it highlights the immense scale of Walt Disney World. There aren’t enough young adults and retirees in the area to support the operation. There are even fewer when you consider all of the requirements that go into working there such as longer commutes and inflexible scheduling. Disney wants people with 40+ hours of incredibly wide availability, that’s not part-timers looking for supplemental income.

cranbiz

It is not mandatory for WDW CMs to be union members and pay weekly dues. Union and non union cast get the same raise and union representation if needed in the work place. The non union cast clearly earn more per year than their union peers.
Unless things have changed, No it's not mandatory to join the union but if your didn't you paid an Agency fee each paycheck that was equal to the union dues.

Either way, a CM paid for that representation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom