News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

TXRob

Using "the norm" sounds nice, but we're also talking about a housing market currently facing both a major shortage and a line of higher-wage remote workers from out-of-state trying to get in.

For local earners, metro Orlando is one of the most unaffordable housing markets there is.
I'm seeing 845 1-bedroom apartments for under $1500 via apartments.com in the Orlando area.
In what world is that the "most unaffordable market in America"?

eliza61nyc

Walt Disney World has more employees than UCF has students. That’s obviously not all front-facing roles, but it highlights the immense scale of Walt Disney World. There aren’t enough young adults and retirees in the area to support the operation. There are even fewer when you consider all of the requirements that go into working there such as longer commutes and inflexible scheduling. Disney wants people with 40+ hours of incredibly wide availability, that’s not part-timers looking for supplemental income.
And all these positions are minimum wage? No raises?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I'm seeing 845 1-bedroom apartments for under $1500 via apartments.com in the Orlando area.
In what world is that the "most unaffordable market in America"?
When at $18/hr that represents 75% of your monthly take home pay.

Also, I suggest calling to verify actual availability. I fell into that same trap when I returned to Orlando last year, assuming that all of the listings were accurate. An overwhelming majority were not.

Tony the Tigger

My point is wages have not kept up with inflation and that it is not something that is sustainable. Surprisingly going to college is an option. Eating and living with a roof over your head should not be.
That is the government’s fault, they failed to raise the minimum wage over the years. So now if they want to raise it faster than normal, which is what is happening, then they need to subsidize it. And then nobody has a problem raising wages fast.

eliza61nyc

My point is wages have not kept up with inflation and that it is not something that is sustainable. Surprisingly going to college is an option. Eating and living with a roof over your head should not be.

And my point is wages have never kept up with the cost of living in the low paying fields, that why people were encouraged to go to school on the first place.
A roof over you're head is not an option how you get that roof and what type of abode it covers is definitely going to be the result of choices
Edit to add, my perception is skewed. I grew up in high as heck NYC, where rents have always been ridiculous. No if you worked as a cashier in Macy's in the 70s you were not getting an apartment by yourself. You had roommates and no car.

Tony the Tigger

None of that solves the issue of high wage remote workers from out-of-state inflating demand for limited housing options.
So again, the easy fix is employers pay more and get nothing more?

We can’t fix every other state, so get some subsidized low income housing going.

mkt

Premium Member

Tony the Tigger

Completely statistical.

Orlando is the second lowest wage major US city (49th out of 50) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_by_adjusted_per_capita_personal_income

And Florida is the least affordable state in the US https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-least-affordable-state-us-miami-tampa-orlando-naples-rent/
Since 10 minutes ago. And it won’t last. The house I bought for $150,000 in 2010 shows on Zillow for just about $500,000. That’s ridiculous. It is not worth that much. It’s temporary like all housing bubbles.

What always happens in Florida: people move here, and a good percentage last about two years or until the first big hurricane, and they go back.

Tony the Tigger

Why does it need to be subsidized?
Because the raises are being given on the backs of people who weren’t even in business when the minimum wage was very low. Disney is an exception, having been in business for a long time. Sears and Kmart took the money and ran, so newer companies have to make up the difference? And as the representative for main street here, you cannot take small businesses out of the equation. You’re forcing businesses barely making it to double their payroll in a few years because previous incarnations of government didn’t raise the minimum wage gradually like they were supposed to? That is the government’s fault and they should pay for it.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member
Since 10 minutes ago. And it won’t last. The house I bought for $150,000 in 2010 shows on Zillow for just about $500,000. That’s ridiculous. It is not worth that much. It’s temporary like all housing bubbles.

What always happens in Florida: people move here, and a good percentage last about two years or until the first big hurricane, and they go back.
They started arriving three years ago and have remained. Ian didn't scare them off and demand is still outstripping supply.

I hope you're right, I fear you're not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patcheslee

It's almost $6 for a sandwich. There are no sides or drinks included in the menus I looked at.
Sounds about normal to me.
My employers cafeteria, just ordered lunch earlier today. Little over $8 for a burger (no toppings) and fries. Also why I don't order often.

Attachments

• 1677084228399483238904113034597.jpg
    1677084228399483238904113034597.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 34

JoeCamel

In 2023, used cars are still as expensive as new cars, and a cheap used beater now costs as much as a cheap good used car.
You were using the 70's, transportation was widely available for $400, I bought beaters that ran for half that

mkt

Premium Member
You were using the 70's, transportation was widely available for $400, I bought beaters that ran for half that
I never mentioned the 70s. I wasn't even alive in the 70s.

But if we're discussing the 70s, love the facial hair.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

And as the representative for main street here, you cannot take small businesses out of the equation. You’re forcing businesses barely making it to double their payroll in a few years because previous incarnations of government didn’t raise the minimum wage gradually like they were supposed to? That is the government’s fault and they should pay for it.
If small startup businesses can show that they are struggling and only making a small profit than absolutely they can apply for a subsidy in order to pay their staff.

But subsidizing Fortune 500 companies? Certainly you’re joking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom