News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Who's blaming the cast members? I want cast members to know ahead of time whats the next attraction to be cancelled as a result of "market research", so they can use their 50 percent discount to flip some merch.
I guarantee you that they have been for quite some time. Also, they get 50% off now?!

Did they? I thought it was a knee-jerk Iger.
I've been in those kinds of meetings before. The CEO becomes the figurehead for the decision, but there were at least weeks, if not months of research, committees and meetings to make that decision.

mkt

Premium Member
I think Disney is just aimed at a different demographic than you right now. Not one with lower standards, but different ones. Not one that doesn't care about grooming standards, just different ones. Disney is still offering a theme park with well-groomed employees - they just don't meet the standards of 65 years ago.

No one can tell you what to like or not to like. Some companies are a little more conservative or "old-fashioned" in outlook. Disney is not one of them, which is possibly why you are bothered by so much of what they're doing these days. But there are a great number of people who either don't care at all about the things that bother you or maybe even prefer them. You'll find them in the parks.

Allowing a bit more personal freedom in how cast members present themselves is sort of refreshing to me. They are still complying with a dress code, so the world isn't quite ending just yet.

THIS.

Also, Disney was the conservative entertainment company (not politically conservative or socially conservative, just generally more conservative and old fashioned).... right up until the 1980s and the Eisner era arrived.

Tony the Tigger

If all someone uses is anecdotal, it does not communicate a point very well. You falsely labeled me as only using anecdotal evidence when you said:

"Do you not realize everything you post is also anecdotal?"

This also discredits you as that is not the truth.

The majority of apartments to rent and real estate to rent in the area of Orange County Florida and surrounding in the state of Florida do require a proof of at least two and a half times the income of the individual or combined parties. This is why people ofen have roomates. Even if you are frugal and can afford it, they deem you not able.
An off experience does not take away the majority of that is how it already works in the area. No one is saying it is impossible to find a deal that does not, but it is in fact is it is already normal here as any apartment application website will show. That is not anecdotal evidence.
Your whole post is still only anecdotal.

And get over that I said, “Everything.” Heaven forbid, I didn’t say, “Nearly everything.”

Your stories are no better than anyone else’s.

celluloid

Your whole post is still only anecdotal.

And get over that I said, “Everything.” Heaven forbid, I didn’t say, “Nearly everything.”

Your stories are no better than anyone else’s.

I am over it, but you did not communicate it very well. Everyone has anecdotal evidence. We are living creatures of stimuli, but that is not all Everyone is using for the required two and a half to three times the rent standard of renting somewhere.

Why do I have to get over you using the wrong words? Only you control the words you use. All we can do is read into them the best with what you give us.

My stories may not be more valid in some eyes, which is fair, but the point that poster I responded to was saying he noticed apartments in japan require nearly three times the rent to be allowed to rent. He imagines Cast Members would be homeless in FL if they did that in FL.

They do that in FL.

Lilofan's point was misinformed.

Tony the Tigger

Again. A variety of evidence is the best to serve a point. If someone's counter argument is purely and always anecdotal. It is not strong a strong argument.

It is a FACT that most apartment rentals in the Orange County area(FL in general has this) required two and a half times the income proof to rent there when you apply. That directly counters Lilofan's saying that Japan is so different than the situation in Central FL and it would cause more CMs to be homeless.

Its already happening.
Who says it’s a fact? Your experience? That’s still anecdotal.

Most comments here are and will always be. Stop pretending you’re at a higher standard.

celluloid

Who says it’s a fact? Your experience? That’s still anecdotal.

Most comments here are and will always be. Stop pretending you’re at a higher standard.

I am not pretending I am anything. But I always find more communication of a point and stronger supporting evidence from someone that uses a variety of evidence vs just anecdotal. Myself and others have shared documents with facts. I can repost some if you would like.

The last time I did, which was the link to the breaking of the stereotype of what most people pay for apartments in Japan, Lilofan pointed out that at apartments in Central FL don't require things such as two and a half to three times the rent. But they do with the rare excpetion, which no one is doubting be it a private landlord deal or low income situation. The standard however exists as fact. I can post evidence where realtors say the majority will if that helps.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

I mean, I can also bring in realtors into the conversation who will confirm that across Florida, 3X is the norm. If some private landlords want to rent for less, they're the exception and not the rule.
Awesome, then that would not be anecdotal. That would be expert opinion.

My point is this person is smearing another poster for using anecdotal evidence while replying in kind. The hypocrisy and bullying is annoying me.

Tony the Tigger

I am over it, but you did not communicate it very well. Everyone has anecdotal evidence. We are living creatures of stimuli, but that is not all Everyone is using for the required two and a half to three times the rent standard of renting somewhere.

Why do I have to get over you using the wrong words? Only you control the words you use. All we can do is read into them the best with what you give us.

My stories may not be more valid in some eyes, which is fair, but the point that poster I responded to was saying he noticed apartments in japan require nearly three times the rent to be allowed to rent. He imagines Cast Members would be homeless in FL if they did that in FL.

They do that in FL.

Lilofan's point was misinformed.
And welcome to my ignore list.

TrainsOfDisney

Allowing a bit more personal freedom in how cast members present themselves is sort of refreshing to me. They are still complying with a dress code, so the world isn't quite ending just yet.
Does Adding a modern pendant necklace to a African Safari host add or detract from the story? CM costumes used to help transform the environment.

A Disney parks polo shirt would also be “a dress code” but would be a very big decline from the Disney parks standard.
I think Disney is just aimed at a different demographic than you right now.
This is a nasty comment to make and is just a way to dismiss a view that you don’t agree with.

“I don’t like harmonious and I miss illuminations”

Your reply:
“I think Disney is just aimed at a different demographic than you right now”

Chi84

Premium Member
Does Adding a modern pendant necklace to a African Safari host add or detract from the story? CM costumes used to help transform the environment.

A Disney parks polo shirt would also be “a dress code” but would be a very big decline from the Disney parks standard.

This is a nasty comment to make and is just a way to dismiss a view that you don’t agree with.

“I don’t like harmonious and I miss illuminations”

Your reply:
“I think Disney is just aimed at a different demographic than you right now”
You're taking my comments out of context. The poster I was responding to was not complaining that the CMs were no longer in costume. He was complaining about what he called sloppy grooming standards.

My comment about demographics was made in response to this statement:
And for about 65 years, the Disney theme park product offered well-groomed and clean-cut employees as part of that product.

Then it changed, in an attempt to lower wage growth wrapped up in a smarmy "DEI We Love You!" corporate PR campaign.
I'm sure you can see how that statement has nothing to do with fireworks show preferences. Please consider context before making the kind of accusation you did.

Disstevefan1

THIS.

Also, Disney was the conservative entertainment company (not politically conservative or socially conservative, just generally more conservative and old fashioned).... right up until the 1980s and the Eisner era arrived.
Eisner has nothing to do with what's happening today. Today is all Iger.

Chapek was just another Iger mistake.

The ironic thing is, Bobby Chapek, right now, is rich and happy and out of gun range.

Last edited:

Grimley1968

I think some people think there is only anecdotal and expert opinion. There are many types of evidence.

If there's need for more anecdotal evidence that apartment complexes requiring a certain ratio of income versus rent is a thing in the U.S., it's not just Orlando or the state of Florida. It is required in many apartment complexes even in the Nashville area. My daughter moved into a 1 BR unit near there when she started a job there last fall, and even showing her first paycheck to the complex's management, demonstrating that her income exceeds the minimum threshold for her rent, she still had to have her mother and I cosign her 14 month lease because she had no credit history just out of college. Although this is my personal anecdote, I will add that this requirement wasn't a requirement of only this one apartment complex/company, but of every place my daughter looked to rent in metro Nashville, across multiple rental companies.

This wasn't a requirement the last time I rented in the mid 90's, but these complexes now act as though this has been a requirement for years now.

celluloid

If there's need for more anecdotal evidence that apartment complexes requiring a certain ratio of income versus rent is a thing in the U.S., it's not just Orlando or the state of Florida. It is required in many apartment complexes even in the Nashville area. My daughter moved into a 1 BR unit near there when she started a job there last fall, and even showing her first paycheck to the complex's management, demonstrating that her income exceeds the minimum threshold for her rent, she still had to have her mother and I cosign her 14 month lease because she had no credit history just out of college. Although this is my personal anecdote, I will add that this requirement wasn't a requirement of only this one apartment complex/company, but of every place my daughter looked to rent in metro Nashville, across multiple rental companies.

This wasn't a requirement the last time I rented in the mid 90's, but these complexes now act as though this has been a requirement for years now.

Exactly. It is the common norm for any rental unit or home with only the occasional private deal exception and low income housing. there is Anecdotal, Expert, Probabilistic and direct evidence all either provided or optioned in this thread.

It is not something only Japan features. It is common majority in Orange County, FL and much of the US.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member
Awesome, then that would not be anecdotal. That would be expert opinion.
Great news then, that's not hard to get. This is Florida, realtors are a dime a dozen here.

Just texted a few and already have responses.

They ask for 3x as a rule, but there is flexibility. If the person earns less than 3x, but is willing to put a larger deposit, or if they provide proof of funds to cover the entire lease amount.

To quote one of them:

Landlords just want to know you can afford it.
Whether it’s via your pay check or your current cash funds.

But those are Orlando realtors. In South Florida there are some that act the same way, but many now take offers above asking and pick the highest one, subject to the 3x, proof of funds, or full prepayment of lease.

To quote one of them:
You're competing against cash rich New Yorkers and Californians. It's put up or shut up now.

mkt

Premium Member
Eisner has nothing to do with what's happing today. Today is all Iger.
Look at the history of the company before Iger. Today is Iger's responsibility, but Eisner was the one that pushed the company into the contemporary taste and society of the time, a trend which has continued with Iger. Iger is a continuation of Eisner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom