News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

TrainsOfDisney

I personally don't like face tattoos and am glad that they are still banned, IMO they are typically raunchier in style and context, but also don't typically look nice. Face tattoos are also just a major detraction from Show, a tattoo on one's ankle or wrist may not even be noticed by most guests, but a face tattoo can't be ignored.
So you judge based on tatoos as well… just specifically on the face. Good to know. I don’t think any visible tattoos should be allowed - seems more fair to me then debating where a tattoo should or shouldn’t be.

I’ve seen more extreme / unnatural hairstyles on CM’s since the relaxing of the Disney look.

MagicHappens1971

So you judge based on tatoos as well… just specifically on the face. Good to know. I don’t think any visible tattoos should be allowed - seems more fair to me then debating where a tattoo should or shouldn’t be.

I’ve seen more extreme / unnatural hairstyles on CM’s since the relaxing of the Disney look.
I have 6 tattoos, my point was that I feel face tattoos are more a detraction from Show. Regardless, I don't like to argue with on the forums, and this is the wrong thread anyway.

JoeCamel

Can you imagine how tough it would be to fill shifts if they still had grooming standards? They'd be forced to raise wages to fill the shifts!

This is basic economics. They may have marketed the ditching of the grooming standards as a trendy "DEI" thing and rolled it out with a "You asked, we listened!" smarmy and fake PR spin, but the end goal was to keep wages low by widening the labor pool with lower standards.

I'm frankly amazed at how few CM's realize they got played like that. Do they not teach Econ in high school any more?

Disneyland's CM's now look as trashy and unkempt and tatted up as WDW's. But drive three blocks east of Disneyland on Ball Road to In-N-Out and they still have the same strict grooming standards that In-N-Out has always had. And In-N-Out pays more than Disneyland!

The old clean cut & friendly Disney Look still lives in Anaheim in 2023, but you have to go down the street to In-N-Out Burger to find it! 🤣

Caleb-In-Out-DSC_5344-LT.max-640x480.jpg
That may not be the best example to use - In 'n out and that guy on the left is touching and grinding. Just like offstage CMs?

TP2000

They still are having a tough time filling shifts, and are going to be forced to raise wages.

Your post also implies that people with tattoos, piercings, etc are part of a "lower standard". Having a tattoo or a piercing that you find unappealing does not equate to being incapable of your job. There are a plethora of Disney Cast Members, managers, front line cast, etc that fall under those "lower standards".

It doesn't matter if they are a 17 year old churro seller or a 48 year old middle manager. If they have abandoned the basic Disney Look standards, which are still in place at many employers from In-N-Out to the US Armed Forces to major airlines to upscale hotels and department stores to cruise lines and many other hospitality industry businesses, then they have failed to live up to the formerly high standards. They are now following the recently lowered standards for grooming at Disney theme parks.

That's just a simple fact. Like saying the sky is blue. Or inflation is higher. Or the weather this week in Anaheim is colder than average and the weather in Orlando is warmer than average.

I get it. The term "lowered standards" upsets some folks now who don't like not nice words or concepts. But how else to explain in the English language what they did to the old standards? They didn't raise them. They made them more lax, more lenient, and they now allow a whole range of things that were once forbidden (men with long hair and black nail polish, women with a shaved head and tats on her arms, dyed hair that looks obviously unnatural for the persons coloring/skin tone, etc., etc.)

If "lower" is a bad word for you... What word would you use to describe standards that are now far more lax and lenient than they had been for decades? The standards didn't get stricter, they got more lenient and far less restrictive. What word do we use for that?

TP2000

I have 6 tattoos, my point was that I feel face tattoos are more a detraction from Show. Regardless, I don't like to argue with on the forums, and this is the wrong thread anyway.

This is actually the correct thread for this topic because we are talking about wages and pressures on wage growth. Disney did a classic business move from the Econ 101 syllabus by lowering standards to widen the labor pool, thus relieving pressure on wage growth for current and future employees.

This CM could never have been hired by Disney 5 years ago, but he has been hired by Disneyland now. He could not work at In-N-Out or Ritz Carlton or Delta Airlines looking like this with the long beard and long hair down his back, but Disneyland is willing to hire him.

Welcome To Main Street USA!.jpeg

This CM at Storybook Land could not have been hired by Disney five years ago, but he has been hired by Disneyland now. He could not work at Chick Fil A or at JetBlue or for the Four Seasons with the visible tats and scruffy face and long hair. But Disneyland is now willing to hire him. (Don't even get me started on the tired and wrinkled pants, which are not his fault. That's Disneyland's fault for allowing him Onstage in a uniform that looks like it was washed in a river and beaten on rocks and then was slept in before his shift.)

What's Your Story at StorybookLand.jpg

Where you get into another topic is by asking the question... How does this CM support and tell the story of Storybook Land Canal Boats? But that's not what we're talking about in this thread.

Aside from the tired and worn out looking uniforms shown above that is Disney management's responsibility to fix and fund, the grooming standards that CM's are now allowed to have at Disney parks have directly contributed to lessening the upward pressure on wage growth. Thus, you have a situation a year or so after the standards were dramatically changed and lowered where a CM Union has entered into negotiations with company management with a much weaker hand than they would have had grooming standards not changed and expanded the labor pool.

I get it, the photographic examples of 2023 CM's are not flattering and weaken the argument for higher CM wages. But the issue of employee workplace standards is directly related to wage negotiations in an otherwise tight labor pool. It's Econ 101 level stuff.

Chi84

Premium Member
This is actually the correct thread for this topic because we are talking about wages and pressures on wage growth. Disney did a classic business move from the Econ 101 syllabus by lowering standards to widen the labor pool, thus relieving pressure on wage growth for current and future employees.

This CM could never have been hired by Disney 5 years ago, but he has been hired by Disneyland now. He could not work at In-N-Out or Ritz Carlton or Delta Airlines looking like this with the long beard and long hair down his back, but Disneyland is willing to hire him.

View attachment 699679

This CM at Storybook Land could not have been hired by Disney five years ago, but he has been hired by Disneyland now. He could not work at Chick Fil A or at JetBlue or for the Four Seasons with the visible tats and scruffy face and long hair. But Disneyland is now willing to hire him. (Don't even get me started on the tired and wrinkled pants, which are not his fault. That's Disneyland's fault for allowing him Onstage in a uniform that looks like it was washed in a river and beaten on rocks and then was slept in before his shift.)

View attachment 699680

Where you get into another topic is by asking the question... How does this CM support and tell the story of Storybook Land Canal Boats? But that's not what we're talking about in this thread.

Aside from the tired and worn out looking uniforms shown above that is Disney management's responsibility to fix and fund, the grooming standards that CM's are now allowed to have at Disney parks have directly contributed to lessening the upward pressure on wage growth. Thus, you have a situation a year or so after the standards were dramatically changed and lowered where a CM Union has entered into negotiations with company management with a much weaker hand than they would have had grooming standards not changed and expanded the labor pool.

I get it, the photographic examples of 2023 CM's are not flattering and weaken the argument for higher CM wages. But the issue of employee workplace standards is directly related to wage negotiations in an otherwise tight labor pool. It's Econ 101 level stuff.
Maybe the attitudes toward the dress code changes are more of an age-related thing. My 30-something kids wouldn’t give a second thought to the way the CMs in the pictures are dressed.

We were at WDW not too long ago and the CMs all looked fine. I don’t remember anyone standing out as being sloppy.

The main thing is they were all very nice and upbeat and were doing their jobs.

MagicHappens1971

Maybe the attitudes toward the dress code changes are more of an age-related thing. My 30-something kids wouldn’t give a second thought to the way the CMs in the pictures are dressed.

We were at WDW not too long ago and the CMs all looked fine. I don’t remember anyone standing out as being sloppy.

That's what I'm convinced it must be.

TP2000

Well, that's great if you don't see it, or want to pretend those randomly taken photos above don't exist. Or perhaps you don't think there's anything wrong with the way these CM's have grown their hair and have worn their tired unpressed uniforms?

As a reminder, what made Disneyland so famous was because when you went on rides and went into shows the CM's were all dressed the part and looked immaculately groomed. Here's the 1960's version of a Storybook Land Cast Member as a point of reference to the young man above....

KTKT_60s_N15R.jpg

You have to wonder, if Disneyland had opened in 1955 with the average 1950's carny workers with greasy hair and a less-than-welcoming look, would Disneyland have become the American icon it did? Would Walt have been successful enough by 1965 to build a second version in Florida? Or would it have been like Freedomland or Six Flags and have closed within a few years or devolved into a carny coaster park within a decade? As just another regional amusement park with greasy employees and unattended details...

The Disney theme parks were built upon a mountain of mystique and unique differences. The changes to the Disney Look standards are just one of the more glaring examples of how that mystique has been chipped away and thrown out, with a "Yeah, but...!" attitude whenever anyone points out the traditional Disney high standards still exist at many companies just a few blocks from their parks.

MagicHappens1971

Well, that's great if you don't see it, or want to pretend those randomly taken photos above don't exist. Or perhaps you don't think there's anything wrong with the way these CM's have grown their hair and have worn their tired unpressed uniforms?

As a reminder, what made Disneyland so famous was because when you went on rides and went into shows the CM's were all dressed the part and looked immaculately groomed. Here's the 1960's version of a Storybook Land Cast Member as a point of reference to the young man above....

KTKT_60s_N15R.jpg

You have to wonder, if Disneyland had opened in 1955 with the average 1950's carny workers with greasy hair and a less-than-welcoming look, would Disneyland have become the American icon it did? Would Walt have been successful enough by 1965 to build a second version in Florida? Or would it have been like Freedomland or Six Flags and have closed within a few years or devolved into a carny coaster park within a decade? As just another regional amusement park with greasy employees and unattended details...

The Disney theme parks were built upon a mountain of mystique and unique differences. The changes to the Disney Look standards are just one of the more glaring examples of how that mystique has been chipped away and thrown out, with a "Yeah, but...!" attitude whenever anyone points out the traditional Disney high standards still exist at many companies just a few blocks from their parks.
I don’t think the “immaculate grooming” made Disneyland memorable. I’m unsure of how old you are and don’t want to sound like I’m citing generational differences, but it was a different time. Look at the guests on the boat, the women are all in dressed and “groomed”. You won’t see that today. Also the Photopass CM you cited, I’ve never seen another CM with a beard that long and to be honest it kinda seems against the rules. His leadership may just be lax. And for the Storybookland Canal CM, his long hair bothers you? Why? And his beard isn’t a mess or anything.

Chi84

Premium Member

KTKT_60s_N15R.jpg

I saw the pictures and the CMs looked okay to me. The Disney CMs we saw were dressed neatly, but in the way young (and even older) people dress now - not the way they dressed in the 1950’s and 1960’s.

Dress these days is much more casual than in the past. We’re talking about people working in a theme park. I honestly don’t think the new dress code is as much a problem for the people visiting WDW as it is for the people visiting this site.

TP2000

It’s not. I’m sure if you surveyed every guest leaving the MK in a day it would be like 1 in 50 that would care about the CM that handed them their pretzels tattoo or nail polish

Bingo! That gets us back to the issue at hand. ;)

If no one today cares that the male CM that hands them a pretzel has tats or black nail polish, then why should that CM handing people pretzels get more than a few bucks above minimum wage? What skillset is required to hand people pretzels, and how much hourly wage does it take to keep that male CM supplied with plenty of cheap nail polish and an occasional visit to a strip mall tattoo parlor?

MagicHappens1971

Bingo! That gets us back to the issue at hand. ;)

If no one today cares that the male CM that hands them a pretzel has tats or black nail polish,

You were so close to the point.
then why should that CM handing people pretzels get more than a few bucks above minimum wage? What skillset is required to hand people pretzels, and how much hourly wage does it take to keep that male CM supplied with plenty of cheap nail polish and an occasional visit to a strip mall tattoo parlor?
Why is someone with tattoos and nail polish lesser than you? Have you ever thought about the cast members who have worked for Disney for years that are now allowed to show the same tattoos they had, maybe choose a new color of nail polish? You do realize these are people? Right? Not robots.

I’m done replying to your posts though because you’re not going to get the point.

TP2000

Why is someone with tattoos and nail polish lesser than you?

What on earth are you talking about? Those folks aren't lesser than me. Aside from drug dealers and career criminals, I can't think of many folks who are lesser than me.

But a CM who doesn't want to bother to live up to grooming standards that once made Disney better than Six Flags does not then get to demand they get paid a higher wage than the average McDonald's or Walgreens or... wait for it... Six Flags employee.

Tokyo Disneyland still does it. In-N-Out still does it. Delta Airlines still does it. The Ritz-Carlton still does it. But Disney decided to stop trying in an attempt to widen the labor pool and depress current and future wages for CM's. Disney won, and the CM's lost on that one.

Have you ever thought about the cast members who have worked for Disney for years that are now allowed to show the same tattoos they had, maybe choose a new color of nail polish? You do realize these are people? Right? Not robots.

I honestly don't care what the person is or does when they go home. And I would hope they don't care about me when I'm not in their workplace paying for a product or service. I only care about how they are when they are at work providing the service or product that I paid for.

And for about 65 years, the Disney theme park product offered well-groomed and clean-cut employees as part of that product.

Then it changed, in an attempt to lower wage growth wrapped up in a smarmy "DEI We Love You!" corporate PR campaign.

I’m done replying to your posts though because you’re not going to get the point.

Well, that seems an odd thing to do.

I've been here for almost 20 years, and I always find it interesting and fun to discuss these topics with people who don't always agree with me. What were you wanting out of a conversation about an attempt by a CM Union to gain higher pay in an age of purposely lowered CM standards?

Disstevefan1

Hey remember that problem where WDW refuses to pay their cast member a living wage? Problem solved. WDW is giving WDW cast members 50 percent off merch!

Maybe the cast members can skip eating a week or two, buy some merch and flip it to make some money!

Lilofan

Hey remember that problem where WDW refuses to pay their cast member a living wage? Problem solved. WDW is giving WDW cast members 50 percent off merch!

Maybe the cast members can skip eating a week or two, buy some merch and flip it to make some money!
Next time attraction shuts down resell an item from the attraction. Also Some guests sold Splash Mountain water right after SM closed at MK on eBay one winning bid for 4oz of water - a little over $100. When a number of cast were laid off during Covid 2020 some permanently , , side hustles helped them out. The CMs even formed their own FB page also open to invitation to non CMs - Ears for Each Other. The Queen of side hustles has to be RN Stephanie Beggs. She sold her studying notes ( aka Cliff Notes ) from nursing school to willing buyers on Tik Tok and Etsy. Still an RN she amassed $2M in earnings on her brainstorm idea.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

What on earth are you talking about? Those folks aren't lesser than me. Aside from drug dealers and career criminals, I can't think of many folks who are lesser than me.

But a CM who doesn't want to bother to live up to grooming standards that once made Disney better than Six Flags does not then get to demand they get paid a higher wage than the average McDonald's or Walgreens or... wait for it... Six Flags employee.

Tokyo Disneyland still does it. In-N-Out still does it. Delta Airlines still does it. The Ritz-Carlton still does it. But Disney decided to stop trying in an attempt to widen the labor pool and depress current and future wages for CM's. Disney won, and the CM's lost on that one.

I honestly don't care what the person is or does when they go home. And I would hope they don't care about me when I'm not in their workplace paying for a product or service. I only care about how they are when they are at work providing the service or product that I paid for.

And for about 65 years, the Disney theme park product offered well-groomed and clean-cut employees as part of that product.

Then it changed, in an attempt to lower wage growth wrapped up in a smarmy "DEI We Love You!" corporate PR campaign.

Well, that seems an odd thing to do.

I've been here for almost 20 years, and I always find it interesting and fun to discuss these topics with people who don't always agree with me. What were you wanting out of a conversation about an attempt by a CM Union to gain higher pay in an age of purposely lowered CM standards?
FWIW, my youngest daughter was hired several years ago at Six Flags in NJ…at the time, as a HS senior, she had green tinted hair…she was told to dye it back to a more “natural” color or she wouldn’t be hired. Needless to say, she refused the color change and refused the position. Fast forward another month or 2, and the appeal of money outweighed the hair color and was ultimately hired as a game operator on the boardwalk. Yes, they had dress and appearance policies too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom