News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Society forms the market, and society changes. You either accept the changes, ignore and tolerate them, or get left behind: those are the choices you have.

Clearly Disney Parks aren't suffering for lack of attendance due to their decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony the Tigger

Anecdotal? Again? It is funny how you always have a family or friend that you have current details on. It is like you knowing the chinese acrobat's ages. Yes, this is a requirement for most apartments. I don't need to try. I lived it. I can bring up apartment companies. Search McKinley Apartments, Orlando. When you apply you have to prove you make more than 2 and a half times the rent, or combined with your roomates will be more than that. People are not just getting roommates for the fun.

I have to just call bullcrap at this point. So you just talk to your friend who rents if they had to prove their income to rent their place? Your anecdotes are getting more preposterous. You don't even know whether your lie is saying "a friend of mine" or "a family member" of mine anymore, and you seem to just be flubbing your own lies up at this point.

What a joke.
Do you not realize everything you post is also anecdotal?

Disstevefan1

Blame the market, not the cast. Society forms the market, and society changes. You either accept the changes, ignore and tolerate them, or get left behind: those are the choices you have.

Clearly Disney Parks aren't suffering for lack of attendance due to their decisions.
Who's blaming the cast members? I want cast members to know ahead of time whats the next attraction to be cancelled as a result of "market research", so they can use their 50 percent discount to flip some merch.

Lilofan

Who's blaming the cast members? I want cast members to know ahead of time whats the next attraction to be cancelled as a result of "market research", so they can use their 50 percent discount to flip some merch.
Inside the Magic reporting is way ahead of you. There were reports that signage started to vanish off the attraction walls prior to last day of operation. If Muppet vision 3D at DHS ever closes , I'm positive the key under the mat signage and the key that is really under the mat along with the mat that is not nailed down at Muppet hallway pre show hallway will vanish also. One is out of luck trying to use the five finger discount at Prime Time dining at DHS . The artifacts in the dining room and smallish lobby area is super glued to the shelves.

Last edited:

celluloid

Do you not realize everything you post is also anecdotal?

I have my share, as everyone does.(anecdotal pun!) Anecdotal Evidence can be valid, but without a variety, it loses its meaning. This is the problem with a poster always saying "my friend" or "my family member" or even "what my experience has been."
For example, I also post evidence of rent rates in Japan and documentation of the pay increasing from Tokyo DIsneyland's company to counter someone's claim, and that is called probabilistic evidence.

Not sure why you think everything I post is that.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Inside the Magic reporting is way ahead of you. There were reports that signage started to vanish off the attraction walls prior to last day of operation.
I am speaking of advanced word of the next cancelled attraction. We all saw the bags and bags of merch being hauled out of splash by the resellers.

I was joking, the cast members should use their 50 percent discount WDW just gave them in leu of pay increases and flip some merch.

I know, I know, they are not allowed to do that.

Chi84

Premium Member
What on earth are you talking about? Those folks aren't lesser than me. Aside from drug dealers and career criminals, I can't think of many folks who are lesser than me.

But a CM who doesn't want to bother to live up to grooming standards that once made Disney better than Six Flags does not then get to demand they get paid a higher wage than the average McDonald's or Walgreens or... wait for it... Six Flags employee.

Tokyo Disneyland still does it. In-N-Out still does it. Delta Airlines still does it. The Ritz-Carlton still does it. But Disney decided to stop trying in an attempt to widen the labor pool and depress current and future wages for CM's. Disney won, and the CM's lost on that one.

I honestly don't care what the person is or does when they go home. And I would hope they don't care about me when I'm not in their workplace paying for a product or service. I only care about how they are when they are at work providing the service or product that I paid for.

And for about 65 years, the Disney theme park product offered well-groomed and clean-cut employees as part of that product.

Then it changed, in an attempt to lower wage growth wrapped up in a smarmy "DEI We Love You!" corporate PR campaign.

Well, that seems an odd thing to do.

I've been here for almost 20 years, and I always find it interesting and fun to discuss these topics with people who don't always agree with me. What were you wanting out of a conversation about an attempt by a CM Union to gain higher pay in an age of purposely lowered CM standards?
I think Disney is just aimed at a different demographic than you right now. Not one with lower standards, but different ones. Not one that doesn't care about grooming standards, just different ones. Disney is still offering a theme park with well-groomed employees - they just don't meet the standards of 65 years ago.

No one can tell you what to like or not to like. Some companies are a little more conservative or "old-fashioned" in outlook. Disney is not one of them, which is possibly why you are bothered by so much of what they're doing these days. But there are a great number of people who either don't care at all about the things that bother you or maybe even prefer them. You'll find them in the parks.

Allowing a bit more personal freedom in how cast members present themselves is sort of refreshing to me. They are still complying with a dress code, so the world isn't quite ending just yet.

Lilofan

I am speaking of advanced word of the next cancelled attraction. We all saw the bags and bags of merch being hauled out of splash by the resellers.

I was joking, the cast members should use their 50 percent discount WDW just gave them in leu of pay increases and flip some merch.

Isn't that discounted place called Property Control that sell discontinued and damaged items still open for cast? That would be a gold mine for resellers if it is not already. Shopped at Orlando Premium outlets , loved the Nike outlet and the day we went to browse and buy, a number of Brazilians were buying up multiple sneakers of many sizes like dozens of pairs. Practiced my Spanish to some with some of them speaking well in addition to their native Portuguese.

MagicHappens1971

Isn't that discounted place called Property Control that sell discontinued and damaged items still open for cast? That would be a gold mine for resellers if it is not already. Shopped at Orlando Premium outlets , loved the Nike outlet and the day we went to browse and buy, a number of Brazilians were buying up multiple sneakers of many sizes like dozens of pairs. Practiced my Spanish to some with some of them speaking well in addition to their native Portuguese.
Disney Cast Members can’t resell anything they purchase with their discount or property control merchandise without risk of being fired. To get into Property Control/Cast Connections you have to be with a CM

celluloid

Just something to note for those who do not know, they are typically not even allowed to have a friend or family member buy it if the friend is right there with them. Even with the lower discounted rate.

Tony the Tigger

I have my share, as everyone does.(anecdotal pun!) Anecdotal Evidence can be valid, but without a variety, it loses its meaning. This is the prblem with a poster always saying "my friend" or "my family member" or even "what my experience has been."
For example, I also post evidence of rent rates in Japan and documentation of the pay increasing from Tokyo DIsneyland's company to counter someone's claim, and that is called probabilistic evidence.

Not sure why you think everything I post is that.
The post to which I replied countered an anecdote with an anecdote. I’ve seen that several times now, and it doesn’t make sense to me.

This is not a court of law; anecdotes are fine - unless you are calling the other person a liar, there would be no reason to object.

Your experience required proof of income; theirs did not. And? Obviously, we can find many more examples both ways, and neither discredits the other.

celluloid

The post to which I replied countered an anecdote with an anecdote. I’ve seen that several times now, and it doesn’t make sense to me.

This is not a court of law; anecdotes are fine - unless you are calling the other person a liar, there would be no reason to object.

Your experience required proof of income; theirs did not. And? Obviously, we can find many more examples both ways, and neither discredits the other.

If all someone uses is anecdotal, it does not communicate a point very well. You falsely labeled me as only using anecdotal evidence when you said:

"Do you not realize everything you post is also anecdotal?"

This also discredits you as that is not the truth.

The majority of apartments to rent and real estate to rent in the area of Orange County Florida and surrounding in the state of Florida do require a proof of at least two and a half times the income of the individual or combined parties. This is why people ofen have roomates. Even if you are frugal and can afford it, they deem you not able.
An off experience does not take away the majority of that is how it already works in the area. No one is saying it is impossible to find a deal that does not, but it is in fact is it is already normal here as any apartment application website will show. That is not anecdotal evidence.

Disstevefan1

Just something to note for those who do not know, they are typically not even allowed to have a friend or family member buy it if the friend is right there with them. Even with the lower discounted rate.
I was joking, but the fact that WDW gave their cast members the 50 percent discount in leu of a pay raise is truly sad and insulting to the cast members.

celluloid

I was joking, but the fact that WDW gave their cast members the 50 percent discount in leu of a pay raise is truly sad and insulting to the cast members.

I can read the tongue in cheek. I just wanted to point out its commonly insulting the way they give discounts anyway. They are not exactly generous. I remember in 2011 my sister came to visit and on Main Street going to buy something. I had to put it on my Credit Card to make sure she got the 20 percent off. Even though I was right there with my Blue ID. It paints a funny impression on family let me tell ya.

MagicHappens1971

They didn’t do it in lieu of, their holiday discount of 40% was about to end, Disney temporarily increased it to 50% and extended it by a few weeks. They also gave out a random 50% discount over the summer. They have too much overstock they’re trying to get rid of

celluloid

What you are quoting is just as anecdotal. What is going on around here?

Again. A variety of evidence is the best to serve a point. If someone's counter argument is purely and always anecdotal. It is not strong a strong argument.

It is a FACT that most apartment rentals in the Orange County area(FL in general has this) required two and a half times the income proof to rent there when you apply. That directly counters Lilofan's saying that Japan is so different than the situation in Central FL and it would cause more CMs to be homeless.

Its already happening.

Disstevefan1

They didn’t do it in lieu of, their holiday discount of 40% was about to end, Disney temporarily increased it to 50% and extended it by a few weeks. They also gave out a random 50% discount over the summer. They have too much overstock they’re trying to get rid of
I was being sarcastic, but reality looks to be worse, they extend the cast member discount in hopes to sell them the overstock. Wow!

JMcMahonEsq

I think Disney is just aimed at a different demographic than you right now. Not one with lower standards, but different ones. Not one that doesn't care about grooming standards, just different ones. Disney is still offering a theme park with well-groomed employees - they just don't meet the standards of 65 years ago.

No one can tell you what to like or not to like. Some companies are a little more conservative or "old-fashioned" in outlook. Disney is not one of them, which is possibly why you are bothered by so much of what they're doing these days. But there are a great number of people who either don't care at all about the things that bother you or maybe even prefer them. You'll find them in the parks.

Allowing a bit more personal freedom in how cast members present themselves is sort of refreshing to me. They are still complying with a dress code, so the world isn't quite ending just yet.
This is very fair reading/post of the situation.

Does lowering the grooming standards help Disney increase its potential labor pool, arguably lowering pressure on wages? Absolutely.

Does it represent a more "progressive" view on employment/grooms standards? I am not so sure, based upon below.

Country wide I think you see a general change from formality of dress. Most businesses have moved away from formal suits in office settings to more business casual office dress. You don't see people in their "Sunday Best" with suits/dresses/head coverings in church anymore. I think I can count on one hand, even in downtown Manhattan the number of restaurants where you need jackets/formal dress, let alone outside of major cities. I really don't think you are seeing Disney not caring about grooming standards, but you are seeing them bring such standards more into what society as a whole sees them. I mean sure when Disney was first open, many people saw tattoos as something that bikers and navy sailors got. Fast forward to present day they are much more mainstream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom