News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

Since you love your anecdotal evidence, when was this? Cause Haines city has seen the average price for a home go up $200k in the last 10 years. Which would mean, you need to save an additional $40k, and then pay about $1,000 more a month. You want anywhere close to what that number was (and close is about $100k more), you are moving close to 2 hours away.
He bought approx 5 years ago , prior he said he had multiple roommates worked a lot of OT prior to buying his home. Your figures don't mean much if you don't know big picture. He and his new wife are now paying off the mortgage. So now what other figures are you going to come with another comeback reply?

Lilofan

Disney cast members are also held to higher standards, scrutinizer over, and expected more of than ANY other theme park employee. For Disney to not recognize this and at least match Universal is absolutely insulting and shows the contempt Disney has for its' employees. I also love that the brief facade Iger enjoyed as the "Disney savior" is quickly crumbling. Everyone seemed to forget that most of the company's problems stem from him, but maybe now they'll start remembering.
If problems stem from Iger as you said, why did the Board ask him to come back and I'm still looking for that external list of candidates without Disney background that were in the running. Looks like that list doesn't exist.

drizgirl

Disney cast members are also held to higher standards, scrutinizer over, and expected more of than ANY other theme park employee. For Disney to not recognize this and at least match Universal is absolutely insulting and shows the contempt Disney has for its' employees. I also love that the brief facade Iger enjoyed as the "Disney savior" is quickly crumbling. Everyone seemed to forget that most of the company's problems stem from him, but maybe now they'll start remembering.
Except that Disney is the more desirable place for many to want to work. The access to the parks and the discounts are more desirable to many than the same thing at Universal. They will pay what they have to. When enough people quit and go to Universal, they will adjust.

Lilofan

Except that Disney is the more desirable place for many to want to work. The access to the parks and the discounts are more desirable to many than the same thing at Universal. They will pay what they have to. When enough people quit and go to Universal, they will adjust.
That's a laugh when they go to Universal. Disney cast full time gets guaranteed 32 hours per week from the contract, you should know since you are a CM. Universal staff with no union have no guaranteed hours and when work slows, staff are not guaranteed any hours.

Lilofan

Well, I guess if the union can keep collecting their dues, they really don't mind the lack of power.
In FL right to work state it is not mandatory to join the union. So the cast not in the union not paying union dues still get the same pay increase as union members. So guess who is earning more per year by not paying 52 weeks of union dues?

Rich Brownn

That's a laugh when they go to Universal. Disney cast full time gets guaranteed 32 hours per week from the contract, you should know since you are a CM. Universal staff with no union have no guaranteed hours and when work slows, staff are not guaranteed any hours.
Having worked at both I can tell you Universal treats employees much better. Plus, even though I wasn't full time (I didn't want to work roller coasters) I never got less than 35 hours a week. If your area was full, there was always someone else who needed bodies for the day.

LSLS

He bought approx 5 years ago , prior he said he had multiple roommates worked a lot of OT prior to buying his home. Your figures don't mean much if you don't know big picture. He and his new wife are now paying off the mortgage. So now what other figures are you going to come with another comeback reply?

Prices have gone up $120k in the last 5 years in Haines City, still meaning to get similar you move 2 hours away if you save up similarly/have the same budget for mortgage. But, your anecdote doesn't change anything I've said before that you've ignored. Do you think cast members aren't doing analysis of living with 4-5 roommates vs by themselves much further away? And that they aren't doing exactly what you say (except having to move much further away than before). And I bet a lot move away, and realize the commute isn't worth it when the pay is not substantially better. Honestly I have no idea what you are arguing at this point. You keep saying "I talk to some cast members, and they have to work tons of OT to afford to live." "When I was younger, I had to move far away to afford living, so they can," like they aren't doing that already. Their argument is they'd like to not have to do that to much larger extents than others have previously had to do.

Disstevefan1

In FL right to work state it is not mandatory to join the union. So the cast not in the union not paying union dues still get the same pay increase as union members. So guess who is earning more per year by not paying 52 weeks of union dues?
I am surprised to hear it's not mandatory to join the union. Once the union is voted on to and formed you are in whether you voted to form the union or not and you pay dues.

So, there are union and nonunion members in the same job working side by side?

Lilofan

Prices have gone up $120k in the last 5 years in Haines City, still meaning to get similar you move 2 hours away if you save up similarly/have the same budget for mortgage. But, your anecdote doesn't change anything I've said before that you've ignored. Do you think cast members aren't doing analysis of living with 4-5 roommates vs by themselves much further away? And that they aren't doing exactly what you say (except having to move much further away than before). And I bet a lot move away, and realize the commute isn't worth it when the pay is not substantially better. Honestly I have no idea what you are arguing at this point. You keep saying "I talk to some cast members, and they have to work tons of OT to afford to live." "When I was younger, I had to move far away to afford living, so they can," like they aren't doing that already. Their argument is they'd like to not have to do that to much larger extents than others have previously had to do.
Misquote again. The CM advised he worked a lot of OT to afford his home and paying mortgage with new wife. You decided to add “ to afford to live “ and passing this as my words. Sounds like media in action !

Lilofan

I am surprised to hear it's not mandatory to join the union. Once the union is voted on to and formed you are in whether you voted to form the union or not and you pay dues.

So, there are union and nonunion members in the same job working side by side?
That’s correct. FL is right to work state and no one is forced to join the union and pay weekly dues.

Tom Morrow

Disney is more desirable due to being the more "prestigious", "magical" one with the better reputation, but they do get treated far worse than at Universal. The more Disney shows contempt for its' employees like this, the more that reputation they built up will continue to slide.

False. Full time at Universal are also guaranteed 32 hours.

LSLS

Misquote again. The CM advised he worked a lot of OT to afford his home and paying mortgage with new wife. You decided to add “ to afford to live “ and passing this as my words. Sounds like media in action !
LOL. OK, so got distracted typing and forgot to add "in a home." But again, you ignore the main crux and focus on something meaningless. Whatever, this is pointless at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom