News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

I don't think you understand the definition of hiring by Disney and definition of third party.

Also, we said not happening anymore. When did you see Chinese Acrobats at WDW? I am glad you know the ages of the Acrobats that performed half a decade ago.
My friend who saw the show with me spoke fluent Chinese , the performers ages ranged from 9-14 years. Great show several years ago and meet and greet with guests following show outside China. Third party has to go through Disney approval with interviews, auditions , background checks , legal documents to work in USA etc , to get contracts and hired -FYI. Try again?

Last edited:

el_super

The base pay, CMs there still get merit raises.

Yeah, and they already get paid nearly double what cost of living CMs US parks recieve.

Can you please cite where their wages are posted.

I've heard numerous stories over the years about OLC not paying decent wages for Cast Members, and even some that have insisted that OLC paid less than the US for union positions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is not all there. Do they get annual raises or not? It’s a yes or no question.
It is there - you just keep wanting to have a different discussion. There is no 'they' -- The discussion was 'what is an entry level job'.

If you keep doing the same job, do not keep expecting pay raises forever for just doing your job. Your job has a ceiling where it is no longer viable to pay someone more than that job returns.

We've already covered this - but since you keep wanting to railroad into another discussion and can't follow along.. I'll quote it for you

No, not all jobs get unlimited merit raises. Most fixed scale jobs have pay scales and ladders you hooe to move through- but once you max out ghat scale… no more until you change your job.

Don’t confuse COLA style pay raises with merit. Many hope for cola raises just to avoid losing buying power… but those kinds of raises will never support life changes (like getting married, having kids)

Getting a pay raise simply because the pay schedule updates with inflation or cost of living is not really raises. You're at best treading water, and certainly not getting any more buying power.

If you start a career and only got COLA adjustments - after 10yrs you're making the same amount of money as the guy who just started yesterday. That's why you don't count COLA-style adjustments the same as Merit raises or promotions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess this is what we get for brainwashing people with "you can be whatever you want to be..." for 2 generations.

People think they can be an entry level job forever and the rest of the world will pay them handily for it.

Lilofan

I guess this is what we get for brainwashing people with "you can be whatever you want to be..." for 2 generations.

People think they can be an entry level job forever and the rest of the world will pay them handily for it.
Waiters in a sense can be considered entry level roles. No formal education and or prior work experience required in some waiter roles. My best friend son has been in the same waiter role for more than 10 years. He earns more income to include tips which is the bulk of his earnings working 30 hours per week nightly compared to his salaried manager working 60 - 70 hours per week.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Waiters in a sense can be considered entry level roles. No formal education and or prior work experience required in some waiter roles. My best friend son has been in the same waiter role for more than 10 years. He earns more income to include tips which is the bulk of his earnings working 30 hours per week nightly compared to his salaried manager working 60 - 70 hours per week.

Yes, some jobs can make a lot of money - especially relative to other jobs with little experience required jobs. While I was working two jobs to try to clear $200 a week, my waitress roommate was making $200 a night. Know what though? While the waitress made great money, she's no longer a waitress and not lecturing people how the waitress job needs to pay for her desired lifestyle she lives now because even the great paying waitress job did not continue to scale with her earning expectations.

TrainsOfDisney

No, this is what we get for teaching people that they are worth more than “those people” tell them. And don’t settle for pay that doesn’t equal the worth of your time.

I just passed a Taco Bell advertising $12.50 an hour. Minnimum wage is $7.25. I love how we are forcing the new minimum wage up because we, the humans and employees now have the upper hand.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, this is what we get for teaching people that they are worth more than “those people” tell them. And don’t settle for pay that doesn’t equal the worth of your time.

I just passed a Taco Bell advertising $12.50 an hour. Minnimum wage is $7.25. I love how we are forcing the new minimum wage up because we, the humans and employees now have the upper hand.
lol... 'those people' and 'we'

Employment is always a two way system dude. Sorry you're just now realizing this. If you don't like the pay a job can offer - don't take it. It's that simple.

It's like the people whining "there is nothing to do in my town" "there is no good jobs here" blah blah blah. Then why are you still there? You hold all the power - leave.

Lilofan

Yes, some jobs can make a lot of money - especially relative to other jobs with little experience required jobs. While I was working two jobs to try to clear $200 a week, my waitress roommate was making $200 a night. Know what though? While the waitress made great money, she's no longer a waitress and not lecturing people how the waitress job needs to pay for her desired lifestyle she lives now because even the great paying waitress job did not continue to scale with her earning expectations.
All are different. I was a waiter back in the day making more than my managers working full time but I wanted to get into management in my field. Other waiters in the country club I worked at made a lucrative income surpassing their bosses they report to.

Lilofan

That’s exactly why Disney can’t hire enough people to fully staff the parks. We are leaving for better gigs and better places to live.
Better places to leave, perhaps. Last I heard a number of families and singles are moving to Central Florida every single week. I was shocked that so many apts are in many areas now constructed that used to be vacant land.

celluloid

I've heard numerous stories over the years about OLC not paying decent wages for Cast Members, and even some that have insisted that OLC paid less than the US for union positions.

They are paid less hourly when directly converted, but the cost of living in the prefecture areas are more affordable than Orlando cost of Living, at worst it is likely comparable, but the article I saw stated how the apartment rent tended to be around 500-600 a month. I will try and find the article.

Lilofan

They are paid less hourly when directly converted, but the cost of living in the prefecture areas are more affordable than Orlando cost of Living, at worst it is likely comparable, but the article I saw stated how the apartment rent tended to be around 500-600 a month. I will try and find the article.
Have you ever seen an apt in Tokyo Japan area? I have. It is no bigger than a bread box .

celluloid

Have you ever seen an apt in Japan? I have. It is no bigger than a bread box .

Yes I have, and not all. That is a pretty big stereotype. While many are.

But, they can still afford to live on their own. Culturally, they don't want as much space. So you bringing it up as a generalization is moot. The people there can afford to live off of their income better than the domestic parts.

Your hyperbolic generalizations are irrelevant.

Lilofan

Yes I have, and not all. That is a pretty big stereotype. While many are.

But, they can still afford to live on their own. Culturally, they don't want as much space. So you bringing it up as a generalization is moot. The people there can afford to live off of their income better than the domestic parts.

Your hyperbolic generalizations are irrelevant.
Lived a few years and also vacationed in Japan. You are wrong on stereotype.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All are different. I was a waiter back in the day making more than my managers working full time but I wanted to get into management in my field. Other waiters in the country club I worked at made a lucrative income surpassing their bosses they report to.

Same thing happens in Sales. The best sales people will typically out earn their managers, but that too breaks down as you start comparing further up the tree. But we're comparing apples and oranges here vs the discussion. But even in these fields, typically the roles with the best potentials are not readily accessible to those just starting. They hone their craft and try to move into those more lucrative spots.

celluloid

Lived a few years and also vacationed in Japan. You are wrong on stereotype.

It is not the majority of living situations. You will do well to know this. You would be speaking about the single person living units that make up than less than 0.6 percent. They exist for those who want it. https://questionjapan.com/blog/average-apartment-size-in-tokyo/

It is not close to the average.

How much living space do you think a CM renting an old hotel unit or sharing a three bedroom apartment gets to themselves? Its irrelevant. Space is a luxury. Having a place is different.

People working for OLC can better afford their own place with the cost of living.

Something the domestic parks CMs at the starting roles can majority not do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom