News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

the_rich

Entry level still applies to your first part. Just because someone keeps the entry level.role. for ten years doesn't mean they are irreplaceable. There is a small.amojnt of merit pay for their seniority.
Even when a job could replace someone they don't want to as each time costs money.
The role itself is still entry level and is the most curious and honest term I can think of.

Furthermore, this goes beyond Entry Level. For example, I am currently an educator. I get paid what I get paid regardless of my years at this point, however, I can move up if I take more college credits and training to move up in the pay scale. Just teaching for ten years will not do it.
And u never get a raise?

celluloid

And u never get a raise?

Nope. After three to five years of teaching in many school districts there is no raise. You are stuck in that until you recertify with enough credits.(your own time and money)

As a matter of fact, a teacher cannot continue to Teach unless they re-certify every three to five years to renew their certificate. And is typically out of your own pocket. Paritcularly if the district one teaches in has no reimbursement program for credits, than you will be paying for it completely out of pocket.

I think often people have a misconception that teachers just get a raise every year. It's not automatic. You are reviewed and have to recertify just to keep the job.

So, to be clear, I don't know of anyone who has been at Disney for long bouts of time, even the front line positions that have not had increase in pay.

My time hourly at Disney was CP so I never saw that, but I have friends who definitely have.

At Universal I got a merit pay I crease every time I had an annual review for not doing anything other than a good job at what I was hired for. When the base pay increased it was also bumped up so my merit pay did not become meaningless.

Is someone seriously saying Disney never gives a raise for the front line positions? If that were true, no wonder it has gotten so bad.

Lilofan

What do you call an ‘entry level’ job that people keep for 10plus years?? The reason it’s considered entry level is because someone can fill it without a lot of experience- and also what makes it pay less than more experienced roles.

But entry level could mean junior sales person’, or ‘mechanics apprentice’. Or even ‘financial analyst’. That’s why it’s not a good descriptor for off the street hourly jobs that require no specific experience or training- just be employable and willing to meet the job expectations.

The reason ‘unskilled labor’ is used is because it describes the pre-requisites for the job - not because it describes the job itself.

Another reason ‘entry level’ is a horrible description for front line CMs is… then what do you say to the person who has been doing that ‘entry level’ job for 10yrs? Then people would have to face the discussion about why their pay should not grow endlessly with their tenure
Met a CM who was a custodial host at DHS for over 10 years doing the same role. He was so proud of his contribution to the park . Talking about our families he struggled when he first started then bought his home in Haines City . He said the frequent OT he worked helped him buy his first home.

the_rich

Nope. After three to five years of teaching in many school districts there is no raise. You are stuck in that until you recertify with enough credits.(your own time and money)

As a matter of fact, a teacher cannot continue to Teach unless they re-certify every three to five years to renew their certificate. And is typically out of your own pocket. Paritcularly if the district one teaches in has no reimbursement program for credits, than you will be paying for it completely out of pocket.

I think often people have a misconception that teachers just get a raise every year. It's not automatic. You are reviewed and have to recertify just to keep the job.

So, to be clear, I don't know of anyone who has been at Disney for long bouts of time, even the front line positions that have not had increase in pay.

My time hourly at Disney was CP so I never saw that, but I have friends who definitely have.

At Universal I got a merit pay I crease every time I had an annual review for not doing anything other than a good job at what I was hired for. When the base pay increased it was also bumped up so my merit pay did not become meaningless.

Is someone seriously saying Disney never gives a raise for the front line positions? If that were true, no wonder it has gotten so bad.
Well that's terrible. Here there are raises of varying sizes in every contract.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Entry level still applies to your first part. Just because someone keeps the entry level.role. for ten years doesn't mean they are irreplaceable.

But it does mean the job can be filled without someone needing (your) experience you have gained… just like (you) were hired in the first place.

A person can do the job better with more seniority- but the job is still the job. That’s the part many have a hard time stepping back and admitting. You maybe a fabulous employee- but if your job is also a boundary in what you can earn.

If you want to grow in your life in ways that demand more income… you’re going to have to grow in your job too. What the job delivers on is ultimately bounded. Staying in an ‘entry level’ job doesn’t enable you to traverse all of life.

Even when a job could replace someone they don't want to as each time costs money.

Sure which is why the employer is happy to keep you there as long as you are willing to accept the pay ceiling the job has. But when the employee wants more than that, the burden is on the employee to accept growth in your role is necessary to justify more pay.
Furthermore, this goes beyond Entry Level. For example, I am currently an educator. I get paid what I get paid regardless of my years at this point, however, I can move up if I take more college credits and training to move up in the pay scale. Just teaching for ten years will not do it.

And then the tier you achieve- will not be ‘entry level’ because it’s requirements are not the same as the previous tier.

But you also acknowledge that the pay for your current role is bounded - and material growth requires changing your role too.

celluloid

Well that's terrible. Here there are raises of varying sizes in every contract.

It may seem like that, but the teachers in your district still need to recertify with the state to continue their work. It is never just unlimited once you are hired. To get those raises they will at leave have to recertify about every three to five years depending on what their license says.

If there is somehow a guaranteed raise annually no matter what, with no hoops to jump through or achievements, then they have a really good Union. It was not done out of the kindness of the district's heart.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How about we call it…. A job.

All jobs should reward employees with yearly raises. I’m pretty sure all do?
Are you new here?

No, not all jobs get unlimited merit raises. Most fixed scale jobs have pay scales and ladders you hooe to move through- but once you max out ghat scale… no more until you change your job.

Don’t confuse COLA style pay raises with merit. Many hope for cola raises just to avoid losing buying power… but those kinds of raises will never support life changes (like getting married, having kids)

celluloid

No, not all jobs get unlimited merit raises. Most fixed scale jobs have pay scales and ladders you hooe to move through- but once you max out ghat scale… no more until you change your job.

Read the above, that is no different than any job with PayScale career ladders. Disney is not unique in this. Their starting pay should increase which would bump all the others up such as what Universal has done with hourly employees.

Every job that is non-negotiable maxes out eventually.

the_rich

It may seem like that, but the teachers in your district still need to recertify with the state to continue their work. It is never just unlimited once you are hired. To get those raises they will at leave have to recertify about every three to five years depending on what their license says.

If there is somehow a guaranteed raise annually no matter what, with no hoops to jump through or achievements, than they have a really good Union. It was not done out of the kindness of the district's heart.
In nyc the teachers need 20 hours of continued learning a year and there are raises every year until top pay is hit. Then there are annual raises to each step along the way to top pay.

the_rich

If there is somehow a guaranteed raise annually no matter what, with no hoops to jump through or achievements, then they have a really good Union. It was not done out of the kindness of the district's heart.
Ive gotten a raise every year since reaching top pay.

celluloid

In nyc the teachers need 20 hours of continued learning a year and there are raises every year until top pay is hit. Then there are annual raises to each step along the way to top pay.

Right. That 20 hours of continued learning in this case, just to clarify would be a mix of certified credits approved by the district in workshop training etc. and accreddited University Credits to meet the rest.

So Teachers have to take about a semester of college or more to keep their jobs in that amount of time, on top of already having a 4 year degree and classroom liscensure of pedagogy

To move across those ladders are not automatic. That is cool that the raise pay never maxes out in a ladder, it would seem odd as I have never heard that but a better deal than not.

Edited:
https://www.uft.org/your-rights/sal...-schedules/teachers-salary-schedule-2018-2021 You can see where the top of each ladder is if you comb through these. To move over you need more PD.

the_rich

Right. That 20 hours of continued learning in this case, just to clarify would be a mix of certified credits approved by the district in workshop training etc. and accreddited University Credits to meet the rest.

So Teachers have to take a semester of college or more to keep their jobs, on top of already having a 4 year degree and classroom liscensure of pedagogy

To move across those ladders are not automatic. That is cool that the raise pay never maxes out in a ladder, it would seem odd as I have never heard that but a better deal than not.
Just like another union here that just settled; dc37. They are clerical workers, janitors, school aides, etc. They dont have to do anything to keep their jobs and most would consider them entey level. They are 90,000 strong and are going to get 16% in raises retroactive to 2021 and going until 2026 along with a $3k signing bonus.

celluloid

Just like another union here that just settled; dc37. They are clerical workers, janitors, school aides, etc. They dont have to do anything to keep their jobs and most would consider them entey level. They are 90,000 strong and are going to get 16% in raises retroactive to 2021 and going until 2026 along with a $3k signing bonus.

Those school aids and support staff have maximum ladders too, according to the pages I saw for NYC. I am glad their pay is increasing. They deserve it. A school only functions as well as its administrative support.

A lot of school support staff would not be entry level. They have to pass certain testing and or have a minimum of college credits as a requirement for the state to allow them to work in the classroom with students.

Speaking as a former WDW Custodian, its not the same as custodial where you should be a decent employee and punctual. Although they definitely still deserve more than what the company is fighting not to get. It is an Entry Level Job.

the_rich

Those school aids and support staff have maximum ladders too, according to the pages I saw for NYC. I am glad their pay is increasing. They deserve it. A school only functions as well as its administrative support.

A lot of school support staff would not be entry level. They have to pass certain testing and or have a minimum of college credits as a requirement for the state to allow them to work in the classroom with students.
They have a maximum, but it goes up with every contract. Which is about every 3 years. They are getting between 3 and 3.5 percent each year.

the_rich

So Teachers have to take about a semester of college or more to keep their jobs in that amount of time, on top of already having a 4 year degree and classroom liscensure of pedagogy

Edited:
https://www.uft.org/your-rights/sal...-schedules/teachers-salary-schedule-2018-2021 You can see where the top of each ladder is if you comb through these. To move over you need more PD.
Yes, there is a top. But right now they are negotiating a new contract and it is going to go up. In my job our top pay has gone up around 13k in the last 10 years or so.

celluloid

Yes, there is a top. But right now they are negotiating a new contract and it is going to go up. In my job our top pay has gone up around 13k in the last 10 years or so.

Nice. As they should. Inflation alone has made that gap a lot smaller.

The Disney base pay raise would take care of that as well within reason. It has worked for Universal and other parks.

LSLS

Met a CM who was a custodial host at DHS for over 10 years doing the same role. He was so proud of his contribution to the park . Talking about our families he struggled when he first started then bought his home in Haines City . He said the frequent OT he worked helped him buy his first home.
Since you love your anecdotal evidence, when was this? Cause Haines city has seen the average price for a home go up $200k in the last 10 years. Which would mean, you need to save an additional $40k, and then pay about $1,000 more a month. You want anywhere close to what that number was (and close is about $100k more), you are moving close to 2 hours away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom