News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
That's fine - but they are still going to earn an entry level pay - not the kind of pay of someone who leverages 10yrs of work experience to get a job 10yrs beyond an entry level position.

You also missed the discussion was about a JOB - not an employee. But hey, what can you expect...

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I have to think way back, but in my first job I worked 4 different positions over 3 years. I got employed at 15 and worked as a busboy. I think I made $2.35 an hour, but after a few months I graduated to soda jerk. No lie it was a soda parlor restaurant but not a chain. I had a better desirable job (scooping ice cream versus washing dishes) but my raise was a dime I believe. Maybe 6 months later I got offered a prep cook job. This gave me maybe a dime raise and maybe some prestige at the job. By the time I left for college I was a line cook making $2.75. There is no way I could live on that, but I was 18 and lived at home. That was the top I could have reached unless an assistant manager died or got fired. I considered it the best I could do for a job in high school before I left for college. I was quite pleased that I made it to the top level of this entry level job. If college was not in my future I would have lived with my parents for a very long time or I would have found a better paying job.

celluloid

That's fine - but they are still going to earn an entry level pay - not the kind of pay of someone who leverages 10yrs of work experience to get a job 10yrs beyond an entry level position.

You also missed the discussion was about a JOB - not an employee. But hey, what can you expect...
If they are still working an entry level job, then that makes sense. There are also leadership or training duty spots easy to tack on that increase the pay to utilize their years of experience.
They will have had good performance based increases until that caps, but this was not info blind to them going in, and no one is a servant.
Inflation is the best argument. It needs to be addressed and then the merit pay increases increase at the same rate.

TrainsOfDisney

I have to think way back, but in my first job I worked 4 different positions over 3 years. I got employed at 15 and worked as a busboy.
Well… Disney doesn’t hire 15 year olds.
That was the top I could have reached unless an assistant manager died or got fired. I considered it the best I could do for a job in high school before I left for college.
At Disney there are many opportunities for promotion without anyone needing to die or be fired.

Lilofan

Prob old news but did everyone see that two weeks ago Tokyo Disneyland's oriental Land Company raised their CM pay for the second time in about a year?
No fight at all. Esp when last year was a reported loss.
Inside the Magic reports first pay raise in 6 years so more to the story on Tokyo DL cast. 7% pay raise including salaried.

TrainsOfDisney

Ever seen the Chinese acrobats in Epcot China? I bet the oldest is not even 15 years old.
Not CM’s. Does that show still exist?

Actually, there have been opportunities for 15 yr olds to work at WDW, providing that one of their parents also works there.

Maybe in the past? Everything I’ve seen from the Disney company says 18… and maybe 17 year olds can sometimes apply for certain positions?

celluloid

Actually, there have been opportunities for 15 yr olds to work at WDW, providing that one of their parents also works there.

That's not really happening anymore. It became too much of a liability scheduling frustration to get the increased being able to work heavy machinery.

We may see it come back a bit at this rate.

Lilofan

Not CM’s. Does that show still exist?

Maybe in the past? Everything I’ve seen from the Disney company says 18… and maybe 17 year olds can sometimes apply for certain positions?
You said Disney does not hire 15 year olds. I gave one example and BTW they were hired by Disney regardless if they are CMs or third party.

celluloid

You said Disney does not hire 15 year olds. I gave one example and BTW they were hired by Disney regardless if they are CMs or third party.

I don't think you understand the definition of hiring by Disney and definition of third party.

Also, we said not happening anymore. When did you see Chinese Acrobats at WDW? I am glad you know the ages of the Acrobats that performed half a decade ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom