News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That Disney not seeming worried about the prospect of this happening says something about them as a company. People, willing to defend them in this also says something about those people. 🤷‍♂️
I think Bob Iger…Mr sweater song…is in a full on identity crisis since his cover has been blown WIDE open…

Didn’t bargain for that…little doubt.

This Wall Street assault/bad pub has got them paralyzed…including in this labor situation in a Hostile, volatile state…

But that’s just my take…I’ll wait for the worlds dumbest lawyer To chime in…

…damn…I’m too late, aren’t I?

ERED

I’m not sure the guests aren’t paying their fair share here. When rack room prices for value resorts are over $200 and I’m paying $16 for a cheeseburger and $7 for a Coke, how is that my problem that their employer is refusing to pay their employees more while taking in record profits?

The math is starting to break at both ends, but its not fair to say the guests are the ones exploiting the CMs here.
I don't think anyone is necessarily saying the guests are exploiting the CMs; the company needs to be willing to give a little to their employees.

Tha Realest

I don't think anyone is necessarily saying the guests are exploiting the CMs; the company needs to be willing to give a little to their employees.
I don’t disagree with you, but my response was this comment:

“How much should a person sacrifice to work for Disney so you can have a fun time on vacation?

Exactly how much should these strangers be willing to give up for your entitled enjoyment?”

The way this sentiment is framed is that it puts the needs/wants of the guests as oppositional to the CMs, when in reality the guests have paid handsomely for a general experience that, to no fault of the guests (or the CMs) is not sufficiently making its way to the employees.

MrPromey

I’m not sure the guests aren’t paying their fair share here. When rack room prices for value resorts are over $200 and I’m paying $16 for a cheeseburger and $7 for a Coke, how is that my problem that their employer is refusing to pay their employees more while taking in record profits?

The math is starting to break at both ends, but its not fair to say the guests are the ones exploiting the CMs here.
Am I saying they are?

Look - sounds like you understand exactly where your money is and isn't going.

How you feel about that isn't my business but I don't think you've been defending Disney a whole lot in this discussion, have you?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

“How much should a person sacrifice to work for Disney so you can have a fun time on vacation?

Exactly how much should these strangers be willing to give up for your entitled enjoyment?”

The way this sentiment is framed is that it puts the needs/wants of the guests as oppositional to the CMs, when in reality the guests have paid handsomely for a general experience that, to no fault of the guests (or the CMs) is not sufficiently making its way to the employees.
That’s a constant failing/fallacy of forums

Encouraging strangers to think they’re buying “indentured fun servants” when they blow through town…wanting them to be paid minimum possible…and yet celebrating overpaying Disney for whatever they sell…

It might be the biggest paradox in human history

MrPromey

Ok I got it. If you are talking reasonable distance from WDW there isn't much of that. Trying to exit the parks at closing when thousands of cars are leaving at same time frame getting on I-4 or other roads is an experience. Some complain they can't pay high rent where they are at , I get it but have they opened their eyes to looking at moving elsewhere to rent in a cheaper area? I could not afford to rent in the major city where I was at so I rented further away in a cheaper COL area but that's just me.
So you agree, there isn't much in reasonable distance?

You agree that there are traffic and congestion issues in the area that compound that?

So your solution is, they open their eyes and look for someplace an unreasonable distance away and?

Find other employment?

Ok, that sounds like good advice.

Commute an unreasonable distance for low-wage work at Disney?

Why on earth should they do this?

If the better part of 70k of WDW workers can't afford to live within a reasonable distance, what is the incentive for them to continue working there?

It's not like there is a shortage of open low-wage positions in Florida.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Sorry but that's on you for internalizing a statement directed squarely at Lilofan who keeps advocating that cast should continue to sacrifice: move further away, give up personal relationships (seriously - read some of what he's going on about in this thread), endure extra hardships, etc. for... the opportunity to trap themself in a never-ending cycle working in a low-wage position for the mouse.

These are the kinds of things (s)he appears to be earnestly suggesting are reasonable options that would allow people the privelage(?) of
continuing to fill low-wage positions at WDW.

When I said "you" and "your" I wasn't speaking in general terms; I was speaking directly to Lilofan.

It's this attitude by some that there is some amazing intangible incentive to work at Disney that goes beyond pay and benefits that should make it all "worth it" somehow.

Maybe if you're retired, already own your home, don't really need the money and are doing it part time because your Dr. says you need to be active but those kind of people aren't suitable for all roles and it appears they couldn't find the 60k+ of them that they'd need, even if they were.

Last edited:

the_rich

I dont think this was meant as you took it. There's a few people who seem to lack any empathy for cm's who are clearly struggling. They just want their fun and couldn't care less about the people who are actually making it special.

Tom Morrow

Reading some of these posts calling cast members unskilled knowing that they have to deal with these sour attitudes on the daily.

If anything, these positions require a Masters in dealing with y'all. I couldn't imagine openly hating the people that make my life better so much as some of you.

Happens often on here, unfortunately.

This forum has many who are old, entitled, out of touch armchair speculators that expect the world out of Cast Members while simultaneously berating them from their cushy, easy office jobs.

Lilofan

So you agree, there isn't much in reasonable distance?

You agree that there are traffic and congestion issues in the area that compound that?

So your solution is, they open their eyes and look for someplace an unreasonable distance away and?

Find other employment?

Ok, that sounds like good advice.

Commute an unreasonable distance for low-wage work at Disney?

Why on earth should they do this?

If the better part of 70k of WDW workers can't afford to live within a reasonable distance, what is the incentive for them to continue working there?

It's not like there is a shortage of open low-wage positions in Florida.
Other posters did describe living in cheaper COL even with not going to college but keep making excuses for cast to live in areas where they can't afford and no one is forcing them to work at Disney ( fact ).

Lilofan

I think Bob Iger…Mr sweater song…is in a full on identity crisis since his cover has been blown WIDE open…

Didn’t bargain for that…little doubt.

This Wall Street assault/bad pub has got them paralyzed…including in this labor situation in a Hostile, volatile state…

But that’s just my take…I’ll wait for the worlds dumbest lawyer To chime in…

…damn…I’m too late, aren’t I?
Fact - approx 12 years ago the Welcome to FL sign at the GA / FL line on I -95 advertised " Open for Business " . Fast forward a few years later when the new guy in charge the Open for Business part of the Welcome sign was taking down. Clearly the Open for Business mentality for all companies in their values and beliefs is at the forefront and some are punished if you don't roll with Tallahassee. Hostile volatile state, @Sirwalterraleigh is on point.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Other posters did describe living in cheaper COL even with not going to college but keep making excuses for cast to live in areas where they can't afford and no one is forcing them to work at Disney ( fact ).
True.

Also fact - if you want to continue enjoying trips to WDW, cast need to be able to afford to work there.

Funny how you keep dodging the one thing I'm trying to point out to you in this discussion.

đź‘Ť

Last edited:

Cliff

WDW is in a very rare situation that most other companies do not enjoy. Disney can pay its workers horribly....because so many people "want" to work there. Yes, even though the pay is terrible, people suck it up and continue applying for these jobs. How many other companies are "that" atteactive to people while offering lousy pay?

It's ironic.....do people specifically move to Orlando to get a low paying job at WDW because they think that working at WDW will be emjoyable?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom