News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just curious: are you a Disney shareholder?

Asking because I am and I'm wondering what kinds of returns I've allegedly been getting thus far?

Last few years there have been no dividends so, as far as I can tell, there have been no "returns".

The dividend is coming back but that hasn't even happened yet.

Meanwhile, the stock, which is tied way more to the Wall Street spread than profits hasn't exactly been good, either. For those of us who already had it, selling would be taking a loss (or losing unrealized previous gains) so I'm not exactly sure how you think Wall Street would get butt-hurt over necessary increases in spending since it happens all the time when it comes to other resources and as Sir alluded to, the profits in the parks are insane.

There's a reason they're able to treat them like a cash machine for whatever adventure they want to go on in other parts of the company.

You think the price you pay for a bottle of water at Disney is reasonable? You think it goes to the same sort of expenses it does at a movie theater or sporting event where they charge similar prices?

Think again.

An increase across the board of like fifty cents for collectable pins (that are already almost pure profit at their current prices) along with maybe a buck more for their already over-priced t-shirts and mugs and they'd have that extra money if it really came down to them needing to increase a price here to pay for that there.

Seriously, when was the last time anyone here saw reports about merch price increases? They happen but unlike parks, parking, food & beverage, etc., it never gets talked about.

Nobody writes articles about Disney's inflating prices because a key-chain went up by seventy-five cents but Disney'll have you believe they need to increase the price of food while reducing portion size and quality of ingredients because somehow selling Outback quality food at three times the the price to sold out reservations is losing them money?

What they're making off Genie+ and ILL is way, way more than enough without any of this other stuff, already, though.

That said, perhaps Disney could pay their employees a little more in the division of the company that is actually responsible for keeping them solvent right now on the promise they've made that Disney+ will stop bleeding money like a dead pig next year.

Even if Disney's idea of + being profitable means they've limped over the line of bringing in a few bucks more than it costs to run each month, that would take enormous pressure off P&R when it comes to taking the insane profits they make in that division and using them to offset those streaming losses.

If + reaches that milestone, they should have enough to give cast members a decent raise AND bring back the parking lot trams for the other two parks with maybe even enough left over to put better strobes on the Yeti - all without raising the price of a t-shirt, even!
I think you misinterpreted Disney as a “live off of” kinda stock

And it isn’t…and never will be. That’s where modern talk - like Jim Cramer - and the bobs have lead you astray

Stability and solid value overtime. That’s it’s lane…not $50 gains and dividends that are detrimental to its health

Brian

I've long wondered if Universal would dare launch a PR campaign targeting Disney CMs during these protracted contract negotiations.
"Disney may not give you $20 an hour, but we'll give you $17" would be far more effective at resolving this matter than any picketing the STCU can organize.
This was from earlier in the thread. Even at that time I didn't think Universal would have the guts to actually go through with it.

This is the first time in recent memory that Universal made the first move in giving raises. Historically, they've followed Disney's lead. My, what strange times we live in.

Disney CMs can rest assured tonight that they will be receiving $17/hour minimum (maybe even a bit more) in short order, probably retroactive to October 2022.

Nubs70

You are right I am on a ladder taping a ceiling talking through my headset talk to text basically so the numbers are Definitely off, the idea is the same though. I guess I can't multitask as I get older. Same idea though, even 100 million every 4 months to give the front line workers is not going to effect the stock holder bottom as much as ONE bad decision made by management.

I do still think the numbers for a pay increase are small though when we are talking billions in profit. Let see 38 million every 12 weeks is what per year, near 160 million.? They made 6 billion dollars profit last year, for me 160 million is a drop in the bucket. That 160 million is not much compared to 6 billion, with 85 billion in revenue if I remember correctly. I think that 4 .00 an hour raise is like what 2.5 or 2.6 % of the profit? Check my numbers, I am still working. I am doing this in my head and I may have missed something.

Just give the workers the money. WDW may find the money spent gets them better productivity, less complaints and overall increase profit at the parks.

Oh and anyone ever drywall and tape a closet, it's like doing an entire room, what I PIA!

:)
When I finished my basement I made a tape mudding rig out of a small plastic trash bucket, scrap 2x4, and a piece of 2" pvc pipe.

Trash bucket -
. On one 1side - cut slit the width of the tape
Opposite side - cut slit the width of tape but with an opening 1/8 inch high.
Scrap 2x4 and pipe
Fashion a tape roll holder with pipe so tape roll will freely spin.

Pass tape from first slit through 2nd slit
Thin out mud and fill bucket
Pull tape slowly through mud - nice evenly dispensed mud on tape into 5 gallon bucket
Get about 30ft into bucket then place tape at desired location.

Remember - Butts, seams, corners.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
OK lets talk hospitality outside of Disney. I owned a 2 star hotel on 192 at 535. I had an impossible time keeping employees not because they didn't want to work, but because most were garbage. They were drug addicted and did a poor job. They had a hard time showing up at work. Some stole from my guests. I paid my employees a bit above what the other 192 hotels paid them. Most of them had housing issues. If I got a decent one, I offered them a hotel room at no charge. They could stay at the hotel at no charge. I had 112 rooms. I had about 27 employees. I obviously couldn't do this with everyone, but I got a decent mix of couples who would do a mix of front desk and bellman, or laundry and maintenance. Was I an ahole? No their issue was where to live. I gave them a place and they did a great job for me. Their pay was not reduced in any way of form because the lived in the hotel. Several of my other employees lived in other 192 hotels, but worked for both and lived at another one. They were all really poor, but did a great job and I took care of them the best I could. Who wants to live in a hotel? Someone that may be living in their car or just be homeless. I had 4 CMs that also lived in our hotel but paid their way. At least utilities were included.

celluloid

This was from earlier in the thread. Even at that time I didn't think Universal would have the guts to actually go through with it.

This is the first time in recent memory that Universal made the first move in giving raises. Historically, they've followed Disney's lead. My, what strange times we live in.
I do believe this is the second or third time Uni raised wages first.

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Have you actually been to winter haven? It’s 40 Minutes away and resembles the land before time

People want to live in winter PARK…not haven
There are some decent areas of Winter Haven. You are usually fair. There is good and bad there and depending on the shift you may get there in 30. You also get great law enforcement from Grady Judd!

Lilofan

Have you actually been to winter haven? It’s 40 Minutes away and resembles the land before time

People want to live in winter PARK…not haven
Yes and if some complain about high COL, then look elsewhere but some just choose to complain where they live at. Winter park to WDW is an hour and that's with regular traffic, but Sheriff Grady loves that you stand your ground

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Yes and if some complain about high COL, then look elsewhere but some just choose to complain where they live at. Winter park to WDW is an hour and that's with regular traffic, but Sheriff Grady loves that you stand your ground
I am curious where you stand here. Winter Garden is not that bad of a place. It is not heaven, but it is also not Pine Hills or Sanford. It is a blue collar place to live in a MAG that has little like that. The cost of living is decent for the area. Polk is the 4th largest county in FL and has a crime rate in the bottom 10 percent. Grady Judd may have a big mouth but he takes care of business,

Lilofan

I am curious where you stand here. Winter Garden is not that bad of a place. It is not heaven, but it is also not Pine Hills or Sanford. It is a blue collar place to live in a MAG that has little like that. The cost of living is decent for the area. Polk is the 4th largest county in FL and has a crime rate in the bottom 10 percent. Grady Judd may have a big mouth but he takes care of business,
Have you been to Winter Garden lately? That's an area where one will surely need a few roommates to split the rent. Beautiful apts with the amenities etc.

Lilofan

When I finished my basement I made a tape mudding rig out of a small plastic trash bucket, scrap 2x4, and a piece of 2" pvc pipe.

Trash bucket -
. On one 1side - cut slit the width of the tape
Opposite side - cut slit the width of tape but with an opening 1/8 inch high.
Scrap 2x4 and pipe
Fashion a tape roll holder with pipe so tape roll will freely spin.

Pass tape from first slit through 2nd slit
Thin out mud and fill bucket
Pull tape slowly through mud - nice evenly dispensed mud on tape into 5 gallon bucket
Get about 30ft into bucket then place tape at desired location.

Remember - Butts, seams, corners.
A FL resident would ask " What's a basement ?".

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Have you been to Winter Garden lately? That's an area where one will surely need a few roommates to split the rent. Beautiful apts with the amenities etc.
Splitting the rent is nothing new when you enter the workforce. I know that some believe that everyone who runs a popcorn cart should be able to support a family of 3, but that is not just not reality anywhere. I lived at home for my first job as most do. Had a shared apartment 3 times in college. There is nothing odd about that.

Lilofan

Splitting the rent is nothing new when you enter the workforce. I know that some believe that everyone who runs a popcorn cart should be able to support a family of 3, but that is not just not reality anywhere. I lived at home for my first job as most do. Had a shared apartment 3 times in college. There is nothing odd about that.
You should visit WG. Its not what you think it is in terms of COL that you think is decent. There are cheaper options where to live but the same old saying how high where they live now. Odd?Some share because can't afford apt on their own. Nothing odd. If want to lower cost look in other lower COL. Easier said than done.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1676460139219.jpeg

Lilofan

Grady Judd doesn't have WDW as a friend . When his team executes his regular sting operations he likes to only talk about out of 100 arrested he focuses and singles out the Disney cast arrested in the sting but he likes the locals to shoot the bad guy first and call him afterwards.

Patcheslee

These hourly rates are exclusive to the Orlando area. I'm sure that the surrounding businesses probably pay a little more. Also, personally, I'd rather work at Disney than McDonalds anyway, way better benefits and work environment. In other parts of Florida, even more populated ones, I would say McDonalds and the like pay between $11-13.
My daughters friend got hired on at $8.25/hour in rural Indiana. So they seem to keep it as low as possible based on state minimum wage.

MrPromey

I think you misinterpreted Disney as a “live off of” kinda stock

And it isn’t…and never will be. That’s where modern talk - like Jim Cramer - and the bobs have lead you astray

Stability and solid value overtime. That’s it’s lane…not $50 gains and dividends that are detrimental to its health

Oh no, I get it - that's kind of my point.

... And it's why talk of how investors will react feels like such a weak grab although lots of people (who apparently aren't shareholders) like to bring that up.

He's talking about how an increase here is somehow going to hurt shareholder "returns" but that leads me to wonder if people who say stuff like this understand what a shareholder return is in the context of a company like Disney because we don't really share in the profits of the business - not in any meaningful way, anyway.

Trust me - I don't plan to live off my piddly dividend.*

I know the value is in the eventual sale. I also don't have enough in this single stock to really lose sleep over what it does but it helps make me pi$$y when I don't like what they're doing. ;)

It's just funny how people acknowledge it's perfectly okay to empty the coffers for Disney+ with the only current goal being that some day it stops losing them money but then act like increasing wages for employees in the one consistently profitable segment (to remain competitive in a market where they can't fill roles) is going to somehow hurt shareholders.

It may affect someone's bonus (probably not even Bob's) but it's not going to hurt me or most others.

If a wage increase is planned and budgeted for, it'll be a talking point on a call and that'll be about it.

... but conversation goes like they'll have to raise the price of Dole Whips to cover it and then the whole place will collapse.

No, they won't have to do that.

They may will raise the price of Dole Whips but that was going to happen, anyway. 🤷‍♂️

*but I'd rather cash that check than see another billboard on I-4

_

Last edited:

LSLS

These hourly rates are exclusive to the Orlando area. I'm sure that the surrounding businesses probably pay a little more. Also, personally, I'd rather work at Disney than McDonalds anyway, way better benefits and work environment. In other parts of Florida, even more populated ones, I would say McDonalds and the like pay between $11-13.

Eh, I'm not sure that's correct at all. First off, you are going to pay significantly more for gas and commuting (I'd say the chances you live closer to Disney than a McDonalds is nearly 0). And I'm not sure it is a better work environment. There's no real lull in your shift at Disney. I'd bet customers are ruder to you as well at this point. As someone who has not worked at either (my high school job was a pizza place), I don't know a ton on either job, but equal pay, I'm not sure Disney is a better job.

Nubs70

A FL resident would ask " What's a basement ?".
The lowest level of a home in the north which is mostly below grade. Where you find a utility room, storage, etc. In my case, additional bedroom, full bath, wet bar, storage, utilities, home theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom