News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh no, I get it - that's kind of my point.

... And why talk of how investors will react feels like such a weak grab although lots of people (who apparently aren't shareholders) like to bring that up.

He's talking about how an increase here is somehow going to hurt shareholder "returns" but that leads me to wonder if people who say stuff like this understand what a shareholder return is in the context of a company like Disney because we don't really share in the profits of the business - not in any meaningful way, anyway.

Trust me, I don't plan to live off my piddly dividend.*

I know the value is in the eventual sale. I also don't have enough in this single stock to really lose sleep over what it does but it helps make me pi$$y when I don't like what they're doing. ;)

It's just funny how people acknowledge it's perfectly okay to empty the coffers for Disney+ with the only current goal being that some day it stops losing them money but then act like increasing wages for employees in the one consistently profitable segment (to remain competitive in a market where they can't fill roles) is going to somehow hurt shareholders.

It may affect someone's bonus (probably not even Bob's) but it's not going to hurt me or most others.

If a wage increase is planned and budgeted for, it'll be a talking point on a call and that'll be about it.

... but conversation goes like they'll have to raise the price of Dole Whips to cover it and then the whole place will collapse.

No, they don't.

They may will raise the price of Dole Whips but, that was going to happen, anyway. 🤷‍♂️

*but I'd rather cash that check than see another billboard on I-4

_
Oh I got you…

A cry for dividend didn’t seem like you. My mistake.

Well bobs full of $&@!…by now, everyone should know that.

As far as dividends go…no matter what I get, I don’t like them.

Because of course - like most “mechanisms” - it’s been mongrelized beyond recognition.

What it does do - history aside - is ecourage habits that exploits the value of the company overtime.

It’s not surprising that the minute an investor started calling out the board and Bob palpatine…that the chopping block for staff comes out and we hear about “dividends”
The simple cause/effect alone smells funny…such is Wall Street.

Lilofan

The lowest level of a home in the north which is mostly below grade. Where you find a utility room, storage, etc. In my case, additional bedroom, full bath, wet bar, storage, utilities, home theater.
If cast lived up North one could rent a portion of a basement. A buddy of mine near NYC installed In his home basement , a full bath, smallish kitchen , private entrance ( looked like a trap door ) and partitioned off several sections of the basement to house his tenants who were day laborers always paid rent on time in cash , each having a twin bed , while he the owner lived upstairs.

Andrew25

I always felt Disney even in 2021 employees were more polished (in the park) then the Universal workers, the hard rock hotel employees are not included.

Disney has pretty much relaxed all of those rules now.

One thing Universal doesn't do well is from a management perspective. Minor nitpick, but they have these orange shirts that just say STAFF in the back that they throw at anyone who shows up when they are understaffed. They'll just stick them into a random snack stand in the park. Bad show, but I don't think it's the TMs fault at all.

Disney has good management with great experience. Universal has decent management with no experience of how to manage the crowds they have been experiencing lately. (They still operate the parks like its the 2000s)

LSLS

Honestly Universal has played this BRILLIANTLY. I'd bet money they have had a lot of conversations with the union leaders about pay. Universal was able to make themselves look like a leader in pay in the area, and Disney look terrible at a time when Universal is going to need to steal theme park workers for a new park opening soon, and force Disney to raise their employee pay more than anticipated. At a time when they have announced they need to make major cuts, and right after Iger promised NOT to raise prices.

Disstevefan1

Honestly Universal has played this BRILLIANTLY. I'd bet money they have had a lot of conversations with the union leaders about pay. Universal was able to make themselves look like a leader in pay in the area, and Disney look terrible at a time when Universal is going to need to steal theme park workers for a new park opening soon, and force Disney to raise their employee pay more than anticipated. At a time when they have announced they need to make major cuts, and right after Iger promised NOT to raise prices.
WDW cast members should go work for Universal now and get the $17 while they are waiting for WDW to possibly raise their pay sometime in the future.

Who knows? They may like working for Universal better?

MrPromey

If cast lived up North one could rent a portion of a basement. A buddy of mine near NYC installed In his home basement , a full bath, smallish kitchen , private entrance ( looked like a trap door ) and partitioned off several sections of the basement to house his tenants who were day laborers always paid rent on time in cash , each having a twin bed , while he the owner lived upstairs.
Heck, we've cribbed everything else they put on British TV. I guess it was only a matter of time until we came out with our own spin on Upstairs, Downstairs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So in other words: the Feds are across the street with binoculars? 🥸

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Their navigation of the plague era has looked damn near masterful compared to the bobs…really impressive.

Polkadotdress

No union at Universal.

the_rich

At $15 or $16 or $17, you can do that...except the easily part maybe, because life in general isn't easy, work isn't easy, so I don't understand why supporting yourself would/should be easy either....you have to work.
It heavily depends on where you live. No shot of being able to do that in any metropolitan city. I make triple that and it's doable in NYC but not at $17.

the_rich

But even in Florida, $17 an hours is $35000 a year before tax. Median rent in Orlando for a studio is $1600 a month. Let's say u get an apt for $1500, that's $18000 a year. Add in a car, insurance, food and it really is a struggle and that's if you are just supporting yourself.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
But even in Florida, $17 an hours is $35000 a year before tax. Median rent in Orlando for a studio is $1600 a month. Let's say u get an apt for $1500, that's $18000 a year. Add in a car, insurance, food and it really is a struggle and that's if you are just supporting yourself.
Then you make other compromises. Go below median if you want to live on your own in Orlando. Or live outside of the city to a location that is a bit cheaper.

If you want perfect and easy, or easier...you will need to make more money. Is this now the expectation? Demand a wage that allows you to live without sacrifice and compromise? Always in comfort?

Disstevefan1

I know folks are going to go nuts over this, but if WDW does not want to pay their cast members enough to live indoors and eat, they should build apartment buildings specifically for cast members at a rent-controlled price. I (think) they already do this for the college programs? Simply expand it.

I am sure the accountants can have a field day writing off these buildings and the cast members can live indoors, eat and have some sort of life outside of work.

Wendy Pleakley

Then you make other compromises. Go below median if you want to live on your own in Orlando. Or live outside of the city to a location that is a bit cheaper.

If you want perfect and easy, or easier...you will need to make more money. Is this now the expectation? Demand a wage that allows you to live without sacrifice and compromise? Always in comfort?

How do you attract employees when the message is, you're going to have to sacrifice given what we are going to pay you.

Remote work is becoming more and more common.

There are always going to be some people who love working for the mouse, but for the average person? Working outdoors in the Florida sun, dealing with cranky guests, etc. And your reward is a long commute and/or going home to a tiny apartment or one with roommates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom