News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So universal (17 starting June of 2023) is not matching Disney's proposal to start at least at $18 an hour w/ some higher, retro active to Oct. 2022.

I am not sure if universal is helping the unions cause here. Disney can now confidential point out it's offer is both starting higher and is also retro active.
So let’s see if the $18 point sticks?

I’ll never trust any Disney “offers”…cause they usually bait and switch it

Disone

So universal (17 starting June of 2023) is not matching Disney's proposal to start at least at $18 an hour w/ some higher, retro active to Oct. 2022.

I am not sure if universal is helping the unions cause here. Disney can now confidential point out it's offer is both starting higher and is also retro active.
Ohhhh NVM. I thought Disney's offer was 18 but it's only 16.

dovetail65

So let’s see if the $18 point sticks?

I’ll never trust any Disney “offers”…cause they usually bait and switch it
For me 18 is more than fair and if WDW just offered that it would be over. And I mean 18 an hour this year.
We get what we pay for.

It seems to me Disney streaming is what's is losing all the money right now and it is the Parks that make the money along with some blockbuster movies here and there.

Pay the workers that are your bread and butter enough to actually buy bread and butter and you may get more productivity out of them.

I still can't believe my 20 year old makes 600.00 a week take home starting wage at Walmart(his first job), which is a bit over 18 an hour. The kid has not missed a day, been late nor complained ONCE and that is directly related to his pay. And even with that pay out of 45 that were hired in his group he is one of FOUR left out of that group just 5 months later. I dont know how the parks keep enough employees to run the them right now with their pay.

Last edited:

buckeyegator

the problem is with a huge workforce like disney, this in crease effects the bottom line, not to sound like chapek, but shareholders want returns, if you have massive pay increases, well, how do you think that will be madeup, perhaps price increases accross the board?

TrainsOfDisney

the problem is with a huge workforce like disney, this in crease effects the bottom line, not to sound like chapek, but shareholders want returns, if you have massive pay increases, well, how do you think that will be madeup, perhaps price increases accross the board?
well… the shareholders seem to be fine with the concept that Disney has to pay employees. I think they’ll continue to understand.

Lilofan

I wouldn't recommend a College Program for anyone looking to get into a professional or business career. For the thousands and thousands of kids that do it each year, there are maybe 50-100 full time professional jobs that could work out for them.

And if you want to work in Park Operations, a College Program is time that won't count toward seniority, pay raises, and you're guaranteed to get the worst shifts. You are better off applying for a regular Part Time or Full Time job.

I feel like the College Program is best for kids that can get college credit and a few months at Disney in exchange for their labor.
What's the worst shifts? As a college student back in the day I usually after studying partying or both on campus would go to bed by 1am or much later. To work late night shouldn't be an issue for kids who go to bed late at night.

Sir_Cliff

I'll never understand how price increases to give shareholders higher returns is just considered the natural order of things, but increased prices to cover higher wages to staff is seen with some sort of special dread. Consider which of those two things has been driving the price increases most over... well, probably as long as most of us have been alive.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Believe me, I saw it when I was on that side of the equation…at a robust $5.45 an hour starting…
…but it’s also a strawman. Because wdw generates ridiculous profits. And you gotta spend to make.

Now what they’ll have trouble with is the minimum wage staff mandate is over - at least for now. Because the standard was reset very quickly.

So the complaining from management has just begun.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'll never understand how price increases to give shareholders higher returns is just considered the natural order of things, but increased prices to cover higher wages to staff is seen with some sort of special dread. Consider which of those two things has been driving the price increases most over... well, probably as long as most of us have been alive.

Its not when you're cooking the books. Shady shifting of costs from on department over to another thats actually making money. I wonder exactly how much middle management there is between decision-makers and the front line ?

lazyboy97o

Bring it on. The across the board price increases required to cover raises would be quite small.

Vegas Disney Fan

How are other businesses in FL getting employees?

FL minimum wage is $11 an hour, if WDW, Uni, etc are all paying $16+ does that mean the local McDonalds is paying the same? I’m shocked they’re struggling to get employees when they’re paying $5 (or more) above minimum wage.

MagicHappens1971

FL minimum wage is $11 an hour, if WDW, Uni, etc are all paying $16+ does that mean the local McDonalds is paying the same? I’m shocked they’re struggling to get employees when they’re paying $5 or more above minimum wage.
These hourly rates are exclusive to the Orlando area. I'm sure that the surrounding businesses probably pay a little more. Also, personally, I'd rather work at Disney than McDonalds anyway, way better benefits and work environment. In other parts of Florida, even more populated ones, I would say McDonalds and the like pay between $11-13.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What happened to "Fight for $15"??
People of retirement age actually retired for the first time in 40+ years when they had health warnings everywhere…creating a short supply and driving costs up…

…then to get labor, people paid more but then immediately jacked their prices under smokescreens to “get it back”

…then the labor started to fall behind and started asking/looking for more…

And you pass go and pay $200

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

FL minimum wage is $11 an hour, if WDW, Uni, etc are all paying $16+ does that mean the local McDonalds is paying the same? I’m shocked they’re struggling to get employees when they’re paying $5 (or more) above minimum wage.
Nobody who doesn’t have their mail slid under the door by mom should work full time for minimum wage. Because it’s never been minimum necessary due to archaic legislative and lobbying efforts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom