News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
How do you attract employees when the message is, you're going to have to sacrifice given what we are going to pay you.
No employer should have to tell you that...you should know that yourself when applying for a job such as a CM at WDW or Uni. If you don't know that, the education system in this country and/or your parents have failed you. That or you have been lied to by others...

Life is full of sacrifices. Employment is no different. If you want less sacrifices and compromise...you will need to eventually aim a bit higher to achieve that in the future...

Lilofan

How do you attract employees when the message is, you're going to have to sacrifice given what we are going to pay you.

Remote work is becoming more and more common.

There are always going to be some people who love working for the mouse, but for the average person? Working outdoors in the Florida sun, dealing with cranky guests, etc. And your reward is a long commute and/or going home to a tiny apartment or one with roommates.
Disney recently closed MK early to guests so the park can reopen to cast celebrating their years of service to TWDC. 10 - 40 plus years to service to provide magic to us, the guests.

the_rich

And this is why this generation is smarter in a way. They are refusing to deal with it. They are demanding more and aren't settling. This notion of having to sacrifice is ludicrous. A full time job should allow you to live without worrying about making ends meet. Im not saying things have to be luxurious. But you shouldn't worry if going out to eat or buying that movie ticket is going to break your budget.

Wendy Pleakley

No employer should have to tell you that...you should know that yourself when applying for a job such as a CM at WDW or Uni. If you don't know that, the education system in this country and/or your parents have failed you. That or you have been lied to by others...

Life is full of sacrifices. Employment is no different. If you want less sacrifices and compromise...you will need to eventually aim a bit higher to achieve that in the future...

My point is that, yes, people should know that, and the risk to Disney is that people won't want to work for them given those inevitable challenges.

Lilofan

And this is why this generation is smarter in a way. They are refusing to deal with it. They are demanding more and aren't settling. This notion of having to sacrifice is ludicrous. A full time job should allow you to live without worrying about making ends meet. Im not saying things have to be luxurious. But you shouldn't worry if going out to eat or buying that movie ticket is going to break your budget.
COL high in your neck of the woods? Think out of the box and look elsewhere at other towns cities that are lower priced. Smarter? I say spoiled and lazier.

Lilofan

Moving to a new city is not as easy as you suggest, nor is it without its own expenses.
The idea one should just have one job to pay bills is nice to say but when in my earlier years I worked 6-7 days a week full time and part time job to pay down debt and speed up paying mortgage. Missed out on some fun but I knew I'd be in a better situation in the long run.

lazyboy97o

Are you kidding me????

Everyone makes sacrifices. I had to sacrifice a lot at the beginning of my career. I still make sacrifices today even as I am more established. I cannot believe it is now the expectation that you shouldn't have to do so. This is what is ludicrous.
But we’re not really talking about people making sacrifices for a period of time. We’re talking about a scale of demand that needs a significant portion of a metropolitan area to not only commit to making sacrifices now, but actually commit to making more sacrifices in the future as well as the cost of living rises. Tourism in Central Florida is not part time. It is not seasonal or just on the weekends. It is all the time and needs people who are going to work in the industry as their primary source of financial support.

Vegas Disney Fan

They do pay their CMs enough to live indoors and eat. Are we going to pretend that personal responsibility for your own finances isn't a thing?

That goalpost has moved, it’s no longer live indoors and eat, that’s already possible but it may require a roommate, the exact situation I’d guess most of us experienced in our 20s.

Now it’s afford your own place, eat a balanced diet (not the PB&J and Ramen we survived on), and have enough left over that you don’t have to struggle.

It’s a different world than when we were starting out, minimum wage jobs used to be a job you did while living at home, while you gained the experience and knowledge to find a better job, now it’s seen as a career that should provide all the comforts of a career.

Technically it’s our generations fault too, we wanted cheap products so we shipped most our manufacturing jobs overseas, it used to be you’d flip burgers until you graduated or got a factory job, those factory jobs are gone now so there’s nowhere for burger flippers to go.

the_rich

That goalpost has moved, it’s no longer live indoors and eat, that’s already possible but it may require a roommate, the exact situation I’d guess most of us experienced in our 20s.

Now it’s afford your own place, eat a balanced diet (not the PB&J and Ramen we survived on), and have enough left over that you don’t have to struggle.

It’s a different world than when we were starting out, minimum wage jobs used to be a job you did while living at home, while you gained the experience and knowledge to find a better job, now it’s seen as a career that should provide all the comforts of a career.

Technically it’s our generations fault too, we wanted cheap products so we shipped most our manufacturing jobs overseas, it used to be you’d flip burgers until you graduated or got a factory job, those factory jobs are gone now so there’s nowhere for burger flippers to go.
Cost of living has consistently risen without wage growth. Minimum wage in the 80s and even 90s went alot further than it does now. I make 4 times what my father did and I can't afford the same things he did. And I make over 6 figures.

Disstevefan1

They do pay their CMs enough to live indoors and eat. Are we going to pretend that personal responsibility for your own finances isn't a thing?
As I said, folks would not like my post.

Yes, technically, I guess you can live indoors and eat for what they pay.

I have not run the numbers myself, but if in addition to living indoors in and eating, you want electricity, internet (I know a splurge) a cell phone (I know another splurge), a car with insurance and maybe splurge for renters' insurance, (forget about that) it begins to get very tight.

But all the folks who want to talk about personal responsibility know better than I do.

I do know, WDW needs the popcorn people as well as all of the front-line cast members to run WDW for the rest of us with loads of disposable income to throw at them.

Vegas Disney Fan

Wages haven't kept up with inflation. If they did then the minimum wage right now would be $24.

About half that actually, about $12 according to inflation calculators and news articles.

The $3.80 minimum wage I made in the 80s has the same purchasing power as $10 an hour now.

I know people like to think we had it easy in the “good ol days” but we faced the exact same struggles as today. That’s not to say it should continue that way but there’s a huge difference between barely surviving and a comfortable lifestyle with no stress.

I did see a couple articles that said minimum wage adjusted for “productivity” should be $20+ though so I see how you mistakenly got that number. That’s a totally different thing than adjusted for inflation though.

lazyboy97o

isn't this what we should want? For the next generation to have it better? Isn't there something rather perverse about "I was treated poorly, so you have to be treated poorly too"? We have people on here sharing stories about situations that were ethically dubious if not outright illegal and people are upset that others don't want to share in that bad experience.

But again, when you want thousands of people working all day, every day, you need a lot more people than just those who are living at home and looking for a job early in life. You can't exactly have a bunch of high school seniors working while school is in session. Even college students at a minimum need time to focus not heir classes, and a place relatively far away that is not known for being flexible with scheduling isn't exactly going to be enticing for many. Most retirees are, well, retired, they're probably looking for a strenuous 50 hour week.

Drdcm

Idk… high COL areas aren’t really doable for low wage workers to live alone. There has definitely been a cultural shift towards having a single income and expecting to live in the nice areas with a one bedroom apartment. Dual income houses are able to offset a lot of costs by sharing rent.

I spent the last 15years with multiple roommates living in Chicago making less than these Disney employees. I never had to worry about food or rent because…. I wasn’t an idiot trying to live alone in Chicago.

I agree they probably need a raise, but is the standard really set to a single person living alone in the perfect neighborhood? No sacrifices for an unskilled job? Come on
Younger employees have had the luxury of not having an economic collapse. Their parents suffered through the recession while they were in the protective bubble of college/high school. When they lose their jobs the next economic downturn and can’t find anything, let’s see how that picky mentality works out for them.

That being said, if Disney can’t hire people to fill needed unskilled positions, then something is off about pay/benefits that they need to address.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom