News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Piebald

With the pandemic and the related inflation, the cost of living has skyrocketed. A 1 bedroom apartment in Orlando averages between $1300-$1600/month. Most Disney CM's live with 2-4 roommates just to make ends meet.
Not to be pedantic but I don't think anyone is finding a 1br for 1300 unless they saw nice photoshopped pics and got duped into moving to a bad area like OBT and Americans Blvd. 1br now is going for like 1500+. I don't know if it's cheaper to be by Kissimmee/Davenport area but the Disney obsessed folks moving here for Disney are even making those places unaffordable (now they're moving to Ocala lol)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What do you mean by that? That CMs have been severely underpaid for decades? That all service industry employees have been criminally underpaid because people view them as “less” and the “minimum wage” is barley enough to live on?
Well yes…

…but you mentioned rent. The problem in Orlando is the vultures seize upon any “raises” Given to the larger groups of service workers and increase the costs that much and more each time there is an adjustment and negotiation.

It’s like trying to bail out the ocean with a bucket…you never get anywhere

Lilofan

With the pandemic and the related inflation, the cost of living has skyrocketed. A 1 bedroom apartment in Orlando averages between $1300-$1600/month. Most Disney CM's live with 2-4 roommates just to make ends meet.
Think out of the box. Winter Haven 1 bedroom apts range from $900 and up.

Animaniac93-98

FL minimum wage is $11 an hour, if WDW, Uni, etc are all paying $16+ does that mean the local McDonalds is paying the same? I’m shocked they’re struggling to get employees when they’re paying $5 (or more) above minimum wage.

As previously discussed, there are other reasons why someone would not choose to work for Disney such as location, hours, scheduling etc or just the general nature of the job being offered.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Two years to $25
I’m always “pro employee” when it comes to the swamp…always…

But jeez…the problem here is the bobs have already bled the place by exorbitant pricing as a piggy since 2007…

So it’s going to get insane and fast. It’s against one of the unwritten rules they always observed at Disney parks: “don’t push it that far…” - there’s no way to know where it will take them.

Drdcm

I wouldn't recommend a College Program for anyone looking to get into a professional or business career. For the thousands and thousands of kids that do it each year, there are maybe 50-100 full time professional jobs that could work out for them.

And if you want to work in Park Operations, a College Program is time that won't count toward seniority, pay raises, and you're guaranteed to get the worst shifts. You are better off applying for a regular Part Time or Full Time job.

I feel like the College Program is best for kids that can get college credit and a few months at Disney in exchange for their labor.
My cousin did this 10 years ago and now manages a Hyatt Regency. If you want to get into the hospitality business management outside of Disney, it can be a pretty good stepping stone.

Nubs70

I’m always “pro employee” when it comes to the swamp…always…

But jeez…the problem here is the bobs have already bled the place by exorbitant pricing as a piggy since 2007…

So it’s going to get insane and fast. It’s against one of the unwritten rules they always observed at Disney parks: “don’t push it that far…” - there’s no way to know where it will take them.
Insane because of the margin % metric. As prices rise, margin $ increase at an increasing rate to maintain margin %.

MrPromey

the problem is with a huge workforce like disney, this in crease effects the bottom line, not to sound like chapek, but shareholders want returns, if you have massive pay increases, well, how do you think that will be madeup, perhaps price increases accross the board?
Just curious: are you a Disney shareholder?

Asking because I am and I'm wondering what kinds of returns I've allegedly been getting thus far?

Last few years there have been no dividends so, as far as I can tell, there have been no "returns".

The dividend is coming back but that hasn't even happened yet.

Meanwhile, the stock, which is tied way more to the Wall Street spread than profits hasn't exactly been good, either. For those of us who already had it, selling would be taking a loss (or losing unrealized previous gains) so I'm not exactly sure how you think Wall Street would get butt-hurt over necessary increases in spending since it happens all the time when it comes to other resources and as Sir alluded to, the profits in the parks are insane.

There's a reason they're able to treat them like a cash machine for whatever adventure they want to go on in other parts of the company.

You think the price you pay for a bottle of water at Disney is reasonable? You think it goes to the same sort of expenses it does at a movie theater or sporting event where they charge similar prices?

Think again.

An increase across the board of like fifty cents for collectable pins (that are already almost pure profit at their current prices) along with maybe a buck more for their already over-priced t-shirts and mugs and they'd have that extra money if it really came down to them needing to increase a price here to pay for that there.

Seriously, when was the last time anyone here saw reports about merch price increases? They happen but unlike parks, parking, food & beverage, etc., it never gets talked about.

Nobody writes articles about Disney's inflating prices because a key-chain went up by seventy-five cents but Disney'll have you believe they need to increase the price of food while reducing portion size and quality of ingredients because somehow selling Outback quality food at three times the the price to sold out reservations is losing them money?

What they're making off Genie+ and ILL is way, way more than enough without any of this other stuff, already, though.

That said, perhaps Disney could pay their employees a little more in the division of the company that is actually responsible for keeping them solvent right now on the promise they've made that Disney+ will stop bleeding money like a dead pig next year.

Even if Disney's idea of + being profitable means they've limped over the line of bringing in a few bucks more than it costs to run each month, that would take enormous pressure off P&R when it comes to taking the insane profits they make in that division and using them to offset those streaming losses.

If + reaches that milestone, they should have enough to give cast members a decent raise AND bring back the parking lot trams for the other two parks with maybe even enough left over to put better strobes on the Yeti - all without raising the price of a t-shirt, even!

Last edited:

dovetail65

These hourly rates are exclusive to the Orlando area. I'm sure that the surrounding businesses probably pay a little more. Also, personally, I'd rather work at Disney than McDonalds anyway, way better benefits and work environment. In other parts of Florida, even more populated oneminsucle s, I would say McDonalds and the like pay between $11-13.
I do not think the scope of the issue is understood here.

First Disney lost 1.5 billion in streaming in last Q4 and lost 630 million last year in those same 3 months. Paying 40 thousand workers for the parks at 4 bucks an hour cost them what? 160K every 4 months? This entire thing is a joke. They can lose half a billion to a very close to 2 billion in a 3 month span, but worry about paying their greatest asset 160 K more every 3 months?

Pay your greatest asset, your front line park worker! The parks are the only thing that consistently make Disney money. Lets say all new benefits cost Disney 2 million every 3 months for the workers, it's still not going to effect stockholders money as much as the decision making of the company itself.

Never compare minimum wage to what a person making should be happy with nor with what a large company with power should be paying them. That min wage is for small start ups not huge billion dollar companies where the top 50 people at the company make what the 40 thousand workers that run the place make. It is not those top 50 people that run the place. Pay is commensurate with value and the park workers are their most valuable thing. WDW need remember that.

1 bedroom apartments, just as bad as LA, New York and Boston. 1700 to 3700 from 1 to 3 bedrooms. Yes, you can get a 3 bedroom for 1300, but hard to find and not the greatest areas. Orlando areas now cost of living is what I came from when I moved here, they now have caught up, its never going back. Take a good look at this link then get back on whether anyone could live on even 18 an hour. It is now like other larger metro areas, glad I bought 5 years ago. Orlando is never going back to being cheap, but it will level off in 5 years so so.

Last edited:

Drdcm

First Disney lost 1.5 billion in streaming in last Q4 and lost 630 million last year in those same 3 months. Paying 40 thousand workers for the parks at 4 bucks an hour cost them what? 160K every 4 months? This entire thing is a joke. They can lose half a billion to a very close to 2 billion in a 3 month span, but worry about paying their greatest asset 160 K more every 3 months?

Pay your greatest asset, your front line park worker! The parks that are the only thing that consistently make Disney money Lets say all new benefits cost Disney 2 million every 3 months for the workers, it's still not going to effect stockholders money as much as the decision making of the company itself.

Never compare minimum wage to what a person making should be happy with nor with what a large company with power should be paying them. That min wage is for small start ups not huge billion dollar companies where the top 50 people at the company make what the 40 thousand workers that run the place make. It is not those top 50 people that run the place. Pay is commensurate with value and the park workers are their most valuable thing. WDW need remember that.

1 bedroom apartments, just as bad as LA, New York and Boston. 1700 to 3700 from 1 to 3 bedrooms. Yes you can get a 3 bedroom for 1300 but hard to find and not the greatest areas. Orlando areas now cost of living is what I came from when I moved here, they now have caught up, its never going back.

Your math is a bit off. Try 38million every 12 weeks - assuming an average 20hr workweek. A bit more than $160,000.

40,000 employees x 4$ x 20hrs x 12 weeks

Edit: this is not saying they can’t afford it or that cast members don’t deserve it. The numbers are not small though.

MagicHappens1971

Pay your greatest asset, your front line park worker! The parks are the only thing that consistently make Disney money. Lets say all new benefits cost Disney 2 million every 3 months for the workers, it's still not going to effect stockholders money as much as the decision making of the company itself.

1 bedroom apartments, just as bad as LA, New York and Boston. 1700 to 3700 from 1 to 3 bedrooms. Yes, you can get a 3 bedroom for 1300, but hard to find and not the greatest areas. Orlando areas now cost of living is what I came from when I moved here, they now have caught up, its never going back. Take a good look at this link then get back on whether anyone could live on even 18 an hour. It is now like other larger metro areas, glad I bought 5 years ago. Orlando is never going back to being cheap, but it will level off in 5 years so so.

When did I say they shouldn’t pay their cast members? I’m a former CP and do understand the scope of the issue

dovetail65

When did I say they shouldn’t pay their cast members? I’m a former CP and do understand the scope of the issue
I didn't point you out, I simply said the scope of the issue is not understood to the many here. I apologize if you thought I was arguing or coming at you, you I am not.

I was talking to the thread as a whole. Many here are stating this or that,some stating the raise offered is enough, I disagree with that.

Nubs70

Your math is a bit off. Try 38million every 12 weeks - assuming an average 20hr workweek. A bit more than $160,000.

Edit: this is not saying they can’t afford it or that cast members don’t deserve it. The numbers are not small though.
$38 million is simply the wage. One can expect another 40% in the cost to employ the employee. That pushes the number to $53 million per 12 weeks.

dovetail65

You are right I am on a ladder taping a ceiling talking through my headset talk to text basically so the numbers are Definitely off, the idea is the same though. I guess I can't multitask as I get older. Same idea though, even 100 million every 4 months to give the front line workers is not going to effect the stock holder bottom as much as ONE bad decision made by management.

I do still think the numbers for a pay increase are small though when we are talking billions in profit. Let see 38 million every 12 weeks is what per year, near 160 million.? They made 6 billion dollars profit last year, for me 160 million is a drop in the bucket. That 160 million is not much compared to 6 billion, with 85 billion in revenue if I remember correctly. I think that 4 .00 an hour raise is like what 2.5 or 2.6 % of the profit? Check my numbers, I am still working. I am doing this in my head and I may have missed something.

Just give the workers the money. WDW may find the money spent gets them better productivity, less complaints and overall increase profit at the parks.

Oh and anyone ever drywall and tape a closet, it's like doing an entire room, what I PIA!

:)

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’m gonna advise not driving yourself nuts with the latest labor excuse/boogieman

The reality is they fit the “problem” to the analysis and have since the late 80’s/early 90’s

They want an untrained, low quals work force at the minimum rate by design and always will. It’s good for Wall Street accounting/impressions…and the reality is they require these jobs to be primary jobs for all (full time to maximize yield)…but want it to be as cost controlled as possible.

It is what it is no matter if your D+ numbers are starting to go down or you bomb a Star Wars movie or bleed the overextended MCU.

It’s always gonna be something

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom