News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Could Disney pull it off? Maybe.
Disney is the kind of company with the resources to come up with a memo from legal that could somehow make this work.

They're also the kind of company with the resources to fight this in court and win when they'd inevitably get sued.

But they're also the kind of company that doesn't need potentially bad press over this.

Lilofan

Sure, and some don't. Some people are just born into massive poverty or massive wealth. Where we disagree, apparently, is whether or not that's something we should address as a society.
Something not be addressed ? False. Can it get better , Yes. States like WV, MS, AL poverty stricken states that depend on federal aid programs .

Disstevefan1

Management dealing with a case by case basis in a unionized environment? This must be a joke. There will be so many grievances filed against the boss, that the manager will hardly ever be in his or her operation and tied up representing the company fighting against the grievance filed against him or her.
I presume the unions right now are somehow dealing with the Disney look requirements on a daily basis. Loosening the requirements can only help the situation.

Disstevefan1

I put numbers out a while ago (and don't think anyone disputed them) that it would cost right around $4 extra in spending per day from each person to raise the wage of everyone there by like $2 an hour.
I may have replied to your original post about this.

This is too smart, too logical, too easy for them to do.

Therefore, they would never do it.

Disstevefan1

Disney may not offer $17 but negotiations ongoing with the unions both will come up with compromise to end this, cast get their back pay , after the unions eventually convince the cast to majority approve the contract. Rinse and repeat every several years. Both parties will declare victory and the media will be on top of this.
Are Universal team members unionized?

Smiley/OCD

Then simply lower the requirements across the board.
No, I don’t want to lower the standards, nor do I want CM team leaders to carry a tape measure to check hair and beard lengths…just enforce the policy. If I have to adhere to a dress code to eat at V&A’s, the CM’s know the policy when they fill out their W-4’s &
I-9’s…I don’t want to feel I’m going to six flags or a carnival at the local church.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
No, I don’t want to lower the standards Mr do I want CM team leaders to carry a tape measure to check hair and beard lengths…just enforce the policy. If I have to adhere to a dress code to eat at V&A’s, the CM’s know the policy when they fill out their W-4’s &
I-9’s…I don’t want to feel I’m going to six flags or a carnival at the local church.
Are you noticing that type of thing at WDW? We've been there since the policy change and the CMs all looked fine to us.

TrainsOfDisney

Then simply lower the requirements across the board.
You want the requirements to be less strict!?
Are you noticing that type of thing at WDW? We've been there since the policy change and the CMs all looked fine to us.
In reality this type of thing is rare at WDW and DL from my personal observations. Most of the CM’s seem to adhere to the old policy and the ones that do grow a beard out wear it in a very conservative and professional style.

But occasionally I do see some very sloppy or over the top appearances that really do look out of place. The decorative necklaces are probably the worst thing since they go over and visibly detract from the uniform.

James Alucobond

In reality this type of thing is rare at WDW and DL from my personal observations. Most of the CM’s seem to adhere to the old policy and the ones that do grow a beard out wear it in a very conservative and professional style.

But occasionally I do see some very sloppy or over the top appearances that really do look out of place. The decorative necklaces are probably the worst thing since they go over and visibly detract from the uniform.
Yeah, I only saw about two people during my recent visit that notably deviated from the old standard. One wasn’t distracting as he still blended in well enough at Galaxy’s Edge, but the other did stick out amongst his peers at Be Our Guest.

celluloid

Nope. A point they drive hard during orientation. They don’t hide their anti-union stance.

They are always for the Three Legs of a Stool approach, which any company could back out on but Universal has always showed good faith with that aspect for a large company so far. They are the first to announce pay and benefit increases and have remained competitive.
It's classic but it works.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Maybe it’s because I’m in the UK but $18 an hour for someone who works in theme parks sounds high. I’m not against them getting paid that if it’s the going rate but a guest services member at a uk theme park would be on $11.50 an hour or so. $18-$20 an hour is nearer to probably what a junior doctor would get

the_rich

Maybe it’s because I’m in the UK but $18 an hour for someone who works in theme parks sounds high. I’m not against them getting paid that if it’s the going rate but a guest services member at a uk theme park would be on $11.50 an hour or so. $18-$20 an hour is nearer to probably what a junior doctor would get
Cost of living is different and you don't have to pay for Healthcare either which is a big cost here. And if I'm not mistaken at that pay they would be eligible for the universal credit and housing assistance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Cost of living is different and you don't have to pay for Healthcare either which is a big cost here. And if I'm not mistaken at that pay they would be eligible for the universal credit and housing assistance. Correct me if I'm wrong.
All UK residents are entitled to free public health care.

eliza61nyc

All UK residents are entitled to free public health care.
not sure I would call it free, most give up a way larger % of their pay to taxes which covers a lot of it. I believe (according to cousins) anyone making over 70K in us dollars pay a 35% tax bracket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom