News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yup, it means the difference between Universal team members getting $17 now and WDW cast members ...... Still negotiating.

36E8A89F-04F8-4983-BEAE-97E6B66DE30E.gif

Why don’t you lay off the hot air posting for a bit?

eliza61nyc

Is Disney even recruiting for wdw ? I've been on Disneycareers.com and there really aren't that many for Florida. Bus drivers starting at 18.00/hr and a few pastry positions.
Tons of jobs in Hong kong anyone wanting a change of scenery.

I'm wondering if the mouseworld feels like they can get by with what they have

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Is Disney even recruiting for wdw ? I've been on Disneycareers.com and there really aren't that many for Florida. Bus drivers starting at 18.00/hr and a few pastry positions.
Tons of jobs in Hong kong anyone wanting a change of scenery.

I'm wondering if the mouseworld feels like they can get by with what they have

I am on there right now. Hourly roles at WDW that they're hiring for are Lifeguards (direct and job fair, so they're desperate), Culinary (chef, pastry chef, line cook, etc), Security, Bus Drivers, Front Desk, stage tech, cosmetology, mechanics/tech/maintenance, plus catch-alls for CP and International Program.

Tony the Tigger

Interesting that the non-union organization gives raises and the union organization just ....... negotiate.
That’s no accident. It’s a lot less hassle to pay $17 than to allow an opening for a union to organize. They’re always looking for a way in (not that I have any problem with unions in theory.)

Nobody said they all have to pay the same. If people want to leave over a dollar, let them.

Then give those who stayed a raise. 👊🏻

eliza61nyc

I am on there right now. Hourly roles at WDW that they're hiring for are Lifeguards (direct and job fair, so they're desperate), Culinary (chef, pastry chef, line cook, etc), Security, Bus Drivers, Front Desk, stage tech, cosmetology, mechanics/tech/maintenance, plus catch-alls for CP and International Program.
I saw the life guard ones too. Starting at 16.80/ hr . Compared to lifeguards in Philly they are above average ( here wage is 11-12hr)

TrainsOfDisney

I saw the life guard ones too. Starting at 16.80/ hr . Compared to lifeguards in Philly they are above average ( here wage is 11-12hr)
That’s a good time to point out the differences between a role at WDW and your local YMCA.

At WDW you must be 18 years of age and they prefer previous lifeguard / swimming instructor experience and they also prefer bilingual applicants.

They also make a point that work hours can start and end as early as 5 AM.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That’s a good time to point out the differences between a role at WDW and your local YMCA.

At WDW you must be 18 years of age and they prefer previous lifeguard / swimming instructor experience and they also prefer bilingual applicants.

One of the major pool contractors in my region - https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pa...ay-EJI_IE222533.0,7_KO8,17_IL.18,26_IS323.htm -

TLDR - range $13-$20

And when the local sheetz is now paying $18+ - I figure the pay will be more on that upper end of that. And most of those jobs are actually filled by International workers... because they haven't been able to fill them with locals for the last 20+yrs.

County rec center - https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/reccenter/aquatic-certification - $12 - $15

Rich Brownn

The non-Union one did this because they're also short staffed and have no issues poaching from the mouse.

Literally, my second time working for them back in the early 00s, while doing the paperwork, someone came out and asked loudly "WHO HERE IS DISNEY?" (as in works for, or worked for). Those that raised our hands got immediate interviews.
My job interview for Universal was the shortest I ever had. She asked me where I wanted to work and I said "Disaster!" She looked shocked at my response (she probably heard Harry Potter 20 times a day) and asked me "Why?". I replied "because everyone working there looks like they are having fun." I was then hired instantly. I never regretted it (and I was right. It was fun!)

Lilofan

UK residents can get emergency care while in vacation.while in the US
Anyone regardless of resident and or immigration status can get treatment in the ER in USA hospitals, and with EMTALA will be treated regardless if unable to pay. When I had emergency appendectomy surgery , I saw this verbage posted in the ER.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Not much difference. I am in a big city but my local ymca your shift starts at 6am (lol us old head get up at the Crack of dawn) and my gym with pool is 24/7 so the teens work crazy hours.
But the point is lifeguards is NOT a career thats ever going to pay a great salary. Just because one does it at a theme park doesn't change the job.
Most lifeguards tend to be college students, lol that should be the first clue. College students, as in " I know this job is temporary, first job". Not, let me make this a 10 year career.
Now in the summer the Jersey shore will pay on the higher end ~17 bucks and that is definitely worse than at a resort pool, toward the end of the season they get international students because the local kids have gone back to college.
again, because they have figured out this is not a job to raise a family on, buy a house etc etc and I can't imagine them even remotely saying "listen I work 8 hours a day you're going have to pay me at least 25/hr"
So yeah you become a Disney lifeguard please don't be surprised at the limited lifestyle and "I cant live on this salary" is not justification to pay above and beyond what the industry usually pays.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Not much difference. I am in a big city but my local ymca your shift starts at 6am (lol us old head get up at the Crack of dawn) and my gym with pool is 24/7 so the teens work crazy hours.
But the point is lifeguards is NOT a career thats ever going to pay a great salary. Just because one does it at a theme park doesn't change the job.
Most lifeguards tend to be college students, lol that should be the first clue. College students, as in " I know this job is temporary, first job". Not, let me make this a 10 year career.
Now in the summer the Jersey shore will pay on the higher end ~17 bucks and that is definitely worse than at a resort pool, toward the end of the season they get international students because the local kids have gone back to college.
again, because they have figured out this is not a job to raise a family on, buy a house etc etc and I can't imagine them even remotely saying "listen I work 8 hours a day you're going have to pay me at least 25/hr"
So yeah you become a Disney lifeguard please don't be surprised at the limited lifestyle and "I cant live on this salary" is not justification to pay above and beyond what the industry usually pays.
I think Jersey shore business pre Covid depended a lot of their summer staff coming from Eastern Europe to live and working at the Jersey shore I've read about.

Nubs70

Now combine that with actual tax withholdings and 401k.

I've compared paystubs and take-home pay with my Swedish and Spanish family members. It's pretty close.
Tax withholdings are withholdings not actual Tax payment - 70K in US with allowable deductions can get down to sub 10%

401K are voluntary withholdings and you get that money back with interest - not a payment.

Apples and Zebras comparison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom