News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
If CP cast replaced all cast who would not happen I would invest and open more liquor stores nearby where the CP cast are living at.
I'd open dispensaries, liquor stores, and pharmacies focused on condoms and Plan B nearby.

Nubs70

Eh, agree to disagree? I'm not an economist, but my basic understanding of supply and demand from Econ 100 20 years ago was what I am riding on. When demand goes up, the market will either raise prices to adjust and/or new sellers will enter the market until a new equilibrium is met. The hypothesis that prices will go up to capture exactly 100% of the demand relies on a perfectly functioning market that we've never had and never will.

I can't speak to one off stimulus events and how they mess up the market. I'm just talking about the basic principles of supply and demand.
Arbitrarily increasing the money supply without an in kind increase in efficiency decreases purchasing power through inflation. the remedy you described is what is known as wage/price spiral where wages are increased to compensate for increase in prices which causes inflation which then requires and additional wage increase. Uncontrolled, this spiral results in hyperinflation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Eh, agree to disagree? I'm not an economist, but my basic understanding of supply and demand from Econ 100 20 years ago was what I am riding on. When demand goes up, the market will either raise prices to adjust and/or new sellers will enter the market until a new equilibrium is met. The hypothesis that prices will go up to capture exactly 100% of the demand relies on a perfectly functioning market that we've never had and never will.

I can't speak to one off stimulus events and how they mess up the market. I'm just talking about the basic principles of supply and demand.
Simply put - economics isn't the simple econ supply and demand curve - which is why economies are wild beasts that even entire governments can't explicitly control.

Here's a simple exercise... look at an inflation chart. You will see it fluctuate, but you almost never see it go negative. Prices will always trend upward in modern economics because the money supply is manipulated to ensure that it does.

Pressure of prices can be temporary, but you don't see them trend down over time - mostly because government policy acts to ensure it doesn't

In the example we are talking about here... raising wages for a significant portion of the population is not a temporary spike in price pressure - it is a persistent one. And housing is not a fluid market where fresh competition can simply sprout up - it's something that is capitol intensive, slow, and competes for limited real estate. As long as the market is underserved (remember FL is one of the top growing states in the country) new competition will be able to seek HIGHER prices and is not incentivized to seek lower prices to compete (they aren't needed). That's why almost always new housing is more expensive than the old... not simply because it's 'new' but because the whole reason they built in the first place was to chase unmet demand.

Alanzo

Arbitrarily increasing the money supply without an in kind increase in efficiency decreases purchasing power through inflation. the remedy you described is what is known as wage/price spiral where wages are increased to compensate for increase in prices which causes inflation which then requires and additional wage increase. Uncontrolled, this spiral results in hyperinflation.

UBI and raising the minimum wage are not arbitrary measures as they are funded through taxes and can be controlled through redistributing wealth.

While increasing the money supply can have both positive and negative effects, it is not the primary goal of these policies.

The tie-in to pandemic stimulus packages is not entirely relevant to the economics of UBI and raising the minimum wage.

Alanzo

Simply put - economics isn't the simple econ supply and demand curve - which is why economies are wild beasts that even entire governments can't explicitly control.

Here's a simple exercise... look at an inflation chart. You will see it fluctuate, but you almost never see it go negative. Prices will always trend upward in modern economics because the money supply is manipulated to ensure that it does.

Pressure of prices can be temporary, but you don't see them trend down over time - mostly because government policy acts to ensure it doesn't

In the example we are talking about here... raising wages for a significant portion of the population is not a temporary spike in price pressure - it is a persistent one. And housing is not a fluid market where fresh competition can simply sprout up - it's something that is capitol intensive, slow, and competes for limited real estate. As long as the market is underserved (remember FL is one of the top growing states in the country) new competition will be able to seek HIGHER prices and is not incentivized to seek lower prices to compete (they aren't needed). That's why almost always new housing is more expensive than the old... not simply because it's 'new' but because the whole reason they built in the first place was to chase unmet demand.

Yes, there are truths to your argument but let's not take an already complicated concept and add the housing market to it, shall we?

UBI and establishing a higher minimum wage are in essence an argument for a stronger social safety net and would require redistribution of wealth by way of progressive taxation.

There's no way to do this without disrupting the marketplace economies a bit, but bear in mind we already have social security and a federal minimum wage. We're not introducing brand new tools here, just different flavors.

Alanzo

I would say some rich people deserve what they have, with some who took huge risks, sacrifice, blood , sweat and tears to get to where they are at. Ever hear the saying from rags to riches?

Sure, and some don't. Some people are just born into massive poverty or massive wealth. Where we disagree, apparently, is whether or not that's something we should address as a society.

Drdcm

I'm no MD - but that's not my experience with my 25+yrs of immersion in the people and culture. If anything I'd say people are pushed to have purpose - not happiness.

More of an old stigma - when you look at their % of deaths and/or per 100k population their stats are pretty much avg.
I think you may have misunderstood me. I’m pretty sure we agree on this. Wasn’t trying to correct you. Just adding that they culturally have a positive psychology mindset and less of a hardcore individualism mindset - like in the US. Again, no so eloquently stated.

As to the data you provided. Yes they are about average. In technical national rankings, they are in the top 3rd - but who realistically believes China and Saudi Arabia are accurately reporting suicide rates to who?

Most people think their average rate is surprising given they are the “happiest”. We use this to drive the point across that happiness doesn’t predict suicide, depression does. Either way, their rates would definitely be higher if they were like the US with guns everywhere, because that independently raises the suicide risk by 20-30% because of the high success rate.

Definitely not a knock on Scandinavian countries. Just something I think makes them unique that isn’t necessarily applicable to places like Orlando.

Smiley/OCD

The wait in metro Orlando is years long for subsidized low-income housing. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/bus...0211110-u27tch76tfecxkrndtx76kcpgu-story.html

And developers in Florida prefer to build market rate housing.
And it’s the same in my neck of the woods in NJ…long waits for section 8, long waits for subsidized senior housing…it’s the same here…your problem isn’t unique to Orlando.
And if you believe that housing costs in Orlando are more than Manhattan, get some new news sources. There is no way.

mkt

Premium Member
And it’s the same in my neck of the woods in NJ…long waits for section 8, long waits for subsidized senior housing…it’s the same here…your problem isn’t unique to Orlando.
And if you believe that housing costs in Orlando are more than Manhattan, get some new news sources. There is no way.
Oh, NYC for sure is more expensive and less affordable.

But in NYC you earn more, have more opportunities to earn more, and don't need a car. In fact, the public transit options make commuting from cheaper areas a far easier option than it does in Orlando, where you absolutely need a car.

Last edited:

Nubs70

Yes, there are truths to your argument but let's not take an already complicated concept and add the housing market to it, shall we?

UBI and establishing a higher minimum wage are in essence an argument for a stronger social safety net and would require redistribution of wealth by way of progressive taxation.

There's no way to do this without disrupting the marketplace economies a bit, but bear in mind we already have social security and a federal minimum wage. We're not introducing brand new tools here, just different flavors.
UBI and min wage do nothing to provide a safety net. It just makes prices go up.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ehh, you can't just 'nope' out of the history.

And who is introducing more complicated concepts now? Introducing changing to progressive taxation?

We're talking about the housing market and the effect of rising wages in Orlando.. not changing our tax code.

Smiley/OCD

A discount on a cruise you can't afford to go on even if discounted. Either because it's still expensive, or because you can't afford to take time off to go.

Thanks for the benefit?
It’s like that in other industries as well…I had a relative that worked for GM…one of their “perks” was (and I think still is), you can purchase a new GM vehicle for cost. If you can’t afford to buy that car discount or not, is that a useful perk?

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s like that in other industries as well…I had a relative that worked for GM…one of their “perks” was (and I think still is), you can purchase a new GM vehicle for cost. If you can’t afford to buy that car discount or not, I’d that a useful perk?
Yeah, but something like a car is generally a necessary purchase in most families. Having the option to buy a vehicle (you may have been willing to buy anyways) at discount is a perk.

Counter this with a 'vacation' that maybe of our your price range to start with...

But we also must consider these perks are for all ranges of employees, not just the entry level newbs

mkt

Premium Member
It’s like that in other industries as well…I had a relative that worked for GM…one of their “perks” was (and I think still is), you can purchase a new GM vehicle for cost. If you can’t afford to buy that car discount or not, I’d that a useful perk?
I have friends and family that work for GM. Right now, there are dealers that won't even accept the discount.

Alanzo

Ehh, you can't just 'nope' out of the history.

And who is introducing more complicated concepts now? Introducing changing to progressive taxation?

We're talking about the housing market and the effect of rising wages in Orlando.. not changing our tax code.

Okay. I have to admit that I was overly focused on progressive policies, while it seemed like you wanted to specifically talk about the economy in Orlando. I initially thought that these topics were connected, but I am open to discussing it separately. However, this may not be the most appropriate venue for this type of discussion.

Furthermore, if we cannot agree on the existence of any problems that need to be addressed, it may be difficult to discuss potential solutions. It doesn't make sense to discuss treatments if we don't see eye-to-eye on the underlying problems.

Smiley/OCD

Taking Universals lead, if WDW simply offered $17 now this thing would be over. At this point WDW looks bad if they don’t do it.

As for the Disney look stuff, just scrap that and look at folks on a case by case basis, there may be folks with too much ink or too many piercings, maybe they can’t hand out the popcorn, but there are plenty of other work for them backstage.
You can’t do it on a case by case basis, because the “slighted” CM will sue alleging being singled out. The policy has to be black and white with no shades of gray.

Alanzo

You can’t do it on a case by case basis, because the “slighted” CM will sue alleging being singled out. The policy has to be black and white with no shades of gray.

Yeah I had a job like this where they preferred to just make everyone overdress instead of telling individuals to shore up their look as needed.

Could Disney pull it off? Maybe.

Lilofan

Taking Universals lead, if WDW simply offered $17 now this thing would be over. At this point WDW looks bad if they don’t do it.

As for the Disney look stuff, just scrap that and look at folks on a case by case basis, there may be folks with too much ink or too many piercings, maybe they can’t hand out the popcorn, but there are plenty of other work for them backstage.
Management dealing with a case by case basis in a unionized environment? This must be a joke. There will be so many grievances filed against the boss, that the manager will hardly ever be in his or her operation and tied up representing the company fighting against the grievance filed against him or her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom